Goodyear Duratrac 285/70/17 Tire Pressure? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Goodyear Duratrac 285/70/17 Tire Pressure?

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 06-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
mkost001
2008 JK Wrangler 

Goodyear Duratrac 285/70/17 Tire Pressure?

I have a 2008 JK 4 door with a 3 inch lift and just put on a new set of Goodyear Duratrac's. I have been reading a lot of the posts on the new Duratrac's but none of them are related to the size tire I have. The 285/70/17 is rated for 45-65lbs cold. The tire shop put them at 50 and told me never to run them with less than 45lbs. However it seems like way too much. Im used to running 35lbs in the stock goodyears. Anyone using this size tire, have any feedback or knowledge on the subject would be great. They weren't cheap and I don't want to ruin them.
Thanks

mkost001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Typically larger tires handle your vehicles weight differently than stock tires and the original door tag pressure recommendations don't apply. A tire not properly inflated will wear incorrectly and more quickly than a properly inflated one would.

An under-inflated tire will cause increased rolling resistance which will rob you of fuel economy and possibly damage the tire due to excessive heat. Other symptoms of under-inflation can be a steering pull.

On the other hand an over-inflated tire can give you an improvement in fuel economy but that savings will disappear when you need to replace your tires sooner. Over-inflation will also cause a harsher ride and potentially poor handling since the tires may skid over the road instead of grip.

Checking proper tire inflation is rather simple and requires some chalk or a utility crayon.

Make a mark all the way across each tire from sidewall to sidewall.

Drive the Jeep for a short distance, a straight line is best.

Note the wear pattern in the chalk. If there is chalk left at the edges, the tire is over inflated. Chalk left in the center means it's under-inflated. A clean pattern indicates the pressure is just right for your tire/rim/vehicle combination.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 06-20-2010 at 06:04 PM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I suspect you'll end up somewhere around 30 psi when you're all done.

I just spray water on the tread and check the footprint. I ended up at 27 psi on my 285/75/16 load range "D" mickey thompsons. You'll lose diameter with the lower pressure but you'll enjoy the improved ride quality.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 04:28 AM   #4
Elitejeeper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just got my duratracs today 33x12.50x15. I have them set at 29 psi. May switch depending on how they wear.

Elitejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Zachnap
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've got a 2001 TJ with 31X10.5 R15 Duratracs and I cannot get the full tread to touch ground. The shop installed them at 37psi, I've lowered them to 29psi and still no go. There is at about 2" of the outer tread on both sides that does not touch the ground.

The tread on the tires is rounded to begin with so I don't know if that is just the way these tires are or if there is something I'm doing wrong. Has anyone had any luck getting the full tread to touch with these tires?
Zachnap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
duratrac , goodyear , recommended , tire pressure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.