Going from 16 inch X tires to 17 inch unlimited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Going from 16 inch X tires to 17 inch unlimited

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
volcycle

Going from 16 inch X tires to 17 inch unlimited

tires is there any advantages or disadvantages. I have an 08X with the 16in steel wheels and I am looking at some take offs from an 09 unlimited that are 17in. Any advice is appreciated.
Go Vols

volcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Onroad or offroad? Assuming the 17's are alloys, they will be lighter and the shorter sidewall will give better onroad handling. Off road the shorter tire sidwall is a disadvantage as the tire will not flex as well and you will be more likely to suffer rim damage.

Also tires for larger size rims are more expensive then the equivalent size for a smaller rim.
Unread 06-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
volcycle

The majority of riding is on road. I also like the looks of the bigger tires on the jeep. It is my sons and I think it looks better.
volcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No disadvantages really. I went from a 16" to a 15" and now on a 17". Just get bigger tires and all will be great

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.