getting tires...245/75/16 vs. 265/75/16? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > getting tires...245/75/16 vs. 265/75/16?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

getting tires...245/75/16 vs. 265/75/16?

So I'm getting new tires for my ZJ soon, and I think I've pretty much settled on the Hankook ATM. It's gotten great reviews online and in the 4X mags, and the guy I talked to at the tire store yesterday highly recomended them. Not that I generally listen to what the sales people say, but he was actually recommending them over more expensive tires.

Now I just need to figure out the size. I was running 31x10/50's on steelies, but those were recently stolen. Now I'll be running my stock TSi 16x7 alloys.

On those, which are on the Jeep, I have 245/75/16's, which were great with the 1.75" BB. However they just look small with the lift height have now, a little over 3".

So I'm debating on whether to stick with the 245/75's, or step up to 265/75's.

It drives great as it is now, and the power/gearing and fuel economy are completely acceptable. Stock tire size was 225/70/16, but it really works well with the 245/75's. When I originally made the switch I didn't even notice a gas mileage loss.

Now I'm wondering if the 265's will be too much tire, and will kill my mileage and acceleration/driveablility. One thing I didn't like about the 31's on steelies was that they were heavy, mileage was down 2-3mpg with them. My 245's aren't that much shorter, but the weight is alot less.

I drive 60 miles to work and back everyday, so economy is a concern.

Now this is a 4.0 with 3.73's, btw, and the tires I'm running and looking at are "P" rated, not LT's, so they should be a bit lighter. I don't carry heavy loads, tow, or even wheel much other than in the snow, so max sidewall strenght isn't a concern.

The guy at the tire store was telling me about their 30 day guarantee, where you can exchange them after before 30 days if you like them. I got him to say in very clear terms that this also goes for size, that I can switch sizes if the one I pick doesn't work out.

But before I do it, should I even bother trying the 265's?

Anyone have any experience with this combo, or has made this swap?

Thanks alot, sorry for the long arse post.

Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Go up in size you wont have a problem. I run a 255/65/16 on my 5.9 with no lift and they dont rub at all.
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Thanks. It's not whether or not they'll fit that I'm really concerned about though, it's that I'm afraid the larger diameter will decrease my mileage and turn it into a dog.

It's great with the 245's on alloys, but it was a real dog with the 31's on steelies.

You have that 5.9 to push those tires around, but I'm only rockin' a 4.0.
Unread 11-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

You have the towing package? If you do then you have 3.73 gears, if not then you have 3.55 gears. 31"s on alloy wheels are fine on either but of course a little better on 3.73's The alloy wheels do make a difference. Of course a larger tire with hurt mileage thats just the way it works. You drive a Jeep mileage should be the last thing on your mind lol.
Unread 11-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I have the tow package, so yeah, I have the 3.73's. Like I said, they seem to be perfect with the 245's. I just really like the look of the 265's.

As far as mileage, Idrive 350 miles a week. 1 or 2 mpg really starts toadd up after awhile, esp now that fuel is starting to top $3/gallon again.

Everyone on every board says the same thing, no matter what vehicle..."If you care about mileage, you're driving the wrong vehicle". I don't see anything wrong with wanting the best possible mileage, no matter what the vehicle. I wouldn't intetentionally make it a gas guzzler, not again like I did with the 31's/steelies. It was alos a dog with that combo.

If I just drove it around town I wouldn't care, but work is 30 miles away. In fact if I just drove it around town, I'd be looking for a Land Rover Disco...I REALLY like those, I've wanted one forever, and they're super cheap used. But I did research, and the 4.0 V8 in them makes about the same power as the Jeep 4.0, while getting like 12city/15highway STOCK, on PREMIUM fuel. No thanks.
Unread 11-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

I drive the same distance in my 5.9 every day i average 15 mph and have to run 93 cant run anything lower or i ping. $3.29 a gallon or so. Im not thrilled with it but it is what it is. I understand wanting to get the best mileage possible but this isnt the way to do it. Lifting your jeep hurts it even if you keep the stock tires. You changed the aerodynamics of it right there. Maybe get yourself a little commuter car or something you can really enjoy your jeep. If you want it to look good lifted with 31"s which are still plenty small and still have decent power you need to start with a V8 not a 4.0 In reality a 5.2 with the same 3" lift and 31"s will get better mileage that your 4.0 because it's not working so hard to get up and going. What 31"s did you run because the 4.0 with 3.73 gears and 31" tires is pretty much the perfect combo.
Unread 11-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I was running 31x10.50 Cooper STT muds. Great tires, I loved them, but when combined with 15x8 steel wheels they were HEAVY.

No I realize the mileage thing, that lifting and adding bigger tires impact it. I'm fine with that, but I'm only willing to compromise so much.

Meaning, if I can knock down 19mpg highway with my 3" lift and 245's, I wouldn't go with 265's if they were going to knock me back down to 16mpg.

I don't want to buy a commuter car, I already have two cars, and out of the two the Jeep is the beater. My other car is a '00 Firebird Formula, which I try not to drive in the winter...it's near useless in the snow. The Jeep is my practical car, it's great for hauling stuff and is near unstoppable in the snow, and is fun for the occasional wheeling trip.

I agree with you about the V8 too, but I'm stuck with the 4.0, so it is what it is. I guess the practical thing would be to stick with the 245's, but the 265's look so damn good!
Unread 11-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Give them a try. Whats the worst that can happen? Youll have to spend a couple hours at the tire shop?Reality is you will loose a tiny amount of pickup and speedo will be off a little.
Appearance is part of owning a Jeep or other vehicle. If it looks like a sissy car its not as much enjoyment to hop into it and blast around. Or even admit its yours. Be a man and make a choice
Ron
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, you're right.

Go big, or go home, right?

I'll give the 265's a shot if I stick with an AT tire. If I go with a MT, I'll prob stick with the 245/75's just because they stuff so well, and I'm more likely to want to do that if I'm running a MT.
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

265s are just slightly smaller than a 31, and narrow than 31x10.5" So I would say your mileage would almost be the same. A good tire you may want to look at is the GoodYear Duratrac, it's about the best your going to do if your looking for a good combination AT/MT.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
265s are just slightly smaller than a 31, and narrow than 31x10.5" So I would say your mileage would almost be the same. A good tire you may want to look at is the GoodYear Duratrac, it's about the best your going to do if your looking for a good combination AT/MT.
Yeah, I really like the Dura's, but I don't like the price. I can get Hankook AT's for 119 for the 245's, or 135 for the 265's. The GY's are closer to 200 each.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.