General Grabber AT2 Tires.... anyone running them? have opinions? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > General Grabber AT2 Tires.... anyone running them? have opinions?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #16
Kermit97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98jeepzj View Post
i love my at2's their great on my grand. i have not had a problem with them in all conditions. They do fine in the mud, i have never gotten stuck with them unless i was high centered. I run 31x10.5x15.
http://kermitsjeep.yolasite.com/reso...ucket_hole.jpg

Only time stuck with mine too on my old TJ (yes, that is a batman symbol on the door). High centered on a BIG rock. The white xj you see in the corner, he's on 35s. Almost stuck, drove over the rock under the mud though. Great tires, still seriously considering them.

Kermit97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #17
Boxer_Bell
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've been running the AT2's on my XJ for about 15 months and I absolutely love them. Excellent in any terrain, and also very good in the snow. I've got about 25k miles on them, and still lots of tread left. When it does come time to replace them, I'll get them again.

Here are a couple photos of how 31's look on my 2000 w/ a 3" lift and stock wheels:
jeep1.jpg   jeep2.jpg  
Boxer_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #18
thatoneguyaz
2004 WJ 

Hmmmmmmm
Reseaerching these.
thatoneguyaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
thatoneguyaz
2004 WJ 

Would like to see these on peoples WJS! Pictures please
thatoneguyaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #20
tjtrucker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I saw them on a jeep it had 33s on it, it looked really good!
tjtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #21
thatoneguyaz
2004 WJ 

Moar pictures!
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #22
hawkbat05
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm looking at these to replace my stock Wrangler SR-A's on 16" factory rims. I've got a 2007 JKU as my DD, I put 200-400km/week (mostly highway) on it. I started looking at these to use as winter tires since the price is good and the size I need is severe snow rated but I'm wondering if people are running these year round and what kind of tread wear they're seeing in the summer. I haven't done any wheeling yet (not even through my first year with the JKU) but I do plan on joining the local Jeep club soon so I can get out them. I'm considering two options:

Option 1:
- Replace SR-A's with A/T2's on the factory rims
- Run the A/T2's year round

Option 2:
- Put the A/T2's on steel rims and use as winter tires
- Stick with the SR-A's on stock rims for the other 3 seasons (or possibly a different tire when they need replacing)
- If I plan on wheeling, swap to the AT/2's for the weekend

I think I'd prefer Option 1 as long as the summer/highway tread life on the A/T2 is reasonable, I don't want to be buying new tires every year. We do get very messy winters here so I do need a good winter tire. I've heard some mixed reports on tread life for these tires so I'm hoping that someone can offer some insight from experience with them.
hawkbat05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #23
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've run 14" Grabber AT2s on a '96 Tacoma this Summer, and they're wearing well, staying round & balanced, have great wet & dry traction, and best of all, are car tire quiet. Not sure what size 16"s you use, but the LT245/75x16s on my '04 Rubicon, which are only available in load range E, are very heavy at 46 lbs, and some think ride too rough because of the stiff side wall. But, they too have great wet/dry traction and are quiet. I reduce the pressures down to 30 lbs for a better ride. Some sizes are available in load range C, so check the General web site for your's. Haven't had them long enough to rate wear or Winter performance, but reports on this forum give high marks.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #24
hawkbat05
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for your insight Ed209. I am looking at the LT245/75R16 load range E, like you have for your Rubicon. I'm not too worried about them feeling stiff, if I wanted to comfy ride I wouldn't have bought a Wrangler . I checked the treads on my SR-A's and there's still 8/32" of tread on them so I think I'll keep them around and put the A/T2's on steels for now.
hawkbat05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #25
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a good plan. There's one thing I forgot to mention about the Grabbers. All other tire makers show the acceptable rim width for LT245/75x16 to be 6.5-8.0", but for some reason General says 6.5-7.5", which means my 16x8" Moabs are too wide for the AT2s. This is really strange because the AT2s are as big and heavy as most MTs, like the Goodrich Mud-Terrain KM2s. My tire shop said it was OK, so I mounted them anyway - no problems so far.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #26
Kman09JGC

I have 255/65/17 General Grabber at2's on my 09 4.7 Laredo. Awesome tire! Great in the snow not that loud and look great!!
Black WK Club #107
Kman09JGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #27
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I tried a set of Grabber AT2 30 x 9.5 R15 (which were really a quarter inch taller than other brands of 30 x 9.5, and were 1/2" wider than other brands of 30 x 9.5).

Great tires, except for a very rough/harsh/stiff ride. Gas mileage was pretty bad too, especially for a 30. Grabber AT2 have a high rolling resistance.

The ride was to harsh for me. I traded them in for some Cooper AT3 and have been happier wtih them (mainly because Cooper AT3 ride good).

Other than the above, Grabber AT2 are otherwise great tires at a great price, and are very tough/durable.
Unread 11-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #28
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would have never purchased them but my Jeep came with them in 31" flavor and I am beyond impressed. I do some moderate off roading just about every weekend and they have yet to fail me and have comparable road manners to any other AT.
image-1440494515.jpg

For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.