Gear/Tire Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Gear/Tire Questions

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 03-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
RUBIJ0E
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Gear/Tire Questions

Just moved to Colorado and have a few questions about tire and gear setups. Please check out my profile before responding. I know, do a search, well I have and that's where I've got most of this information and thank you.
  • Currently running BFG AT KO 285/75 16 on stock D30/44. I feel like I don't have a lot of power running these big tires especially when driving up hills.
  • Want to upgrade my gears to 4.10/4.56
  • Lockers (maybe a selectable in the front and a truetrac in the back). Could I just run the front, what are the advantages/disadvantages? Anything to stay away from? This is a DD.
  • Not sure if I want to keep the tires I have, I do like the ride but as mentioned before, I don't seem to have any power, not wanting to go bigger if anything maybe a little smaller 265/75 or 265/70. Is there and advantage in having a more narrow or wider tire when wheeling in this area given I'm new to all this.

I understand that if the right gear/tire combo is achieved you can sling any tire with moderate fuel economy. I just want something to get me up and over some difficult terrain but have enough top end to get me home.

RUBIJ0E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Why selectable up front? Put that in the rear and a tru-trac up front and have the best all around performance unless selectable up front too. IMO id go 4.56 or 4.88, CO has some long hills and the deeper gearing might help mpg and downshifting. Going from 3.73 to 4.10 wouldn't be worth the time and money for the 400rpms gained.
Once you get a set of gears in the axles that will pull the rig around fine no reason to drop in size. It really comes down to how you want your jeep to perform. Good luck
Unread 03-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
RUBIJ0E
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Kiowa, why the other way? Selectable up front was what I gathered by speaking with a few people. Personally I'd rather have a "lunch box" locker. I really don' t know the difference or how each one works. I guess I'll be doing some research. Not trying to do any extreme wheeling until I can dedicate my rig to trail riding, then it's on! Until then it seems that 4.56s and some type of lockers are what I'm leaning toward.
Unread 03-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I agree with KK; selectable (or just automatic) locker in the rear and Tru-trac in the front.

If you are in the mountains then 4.10's would be a waste. Start at 4.56 and debate whether or not to go with 4.88's.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIJ0E View Post
Kiowa, why the other way? Selectable up front was what I gathered by speaking with a few people. Personally I'd rather have a "lunch box" locker. I really don' t know the difference or how each one works. I guess I'll be doing some research. Not trying to do any extreme wheeling until I can dedicate my rig to trail riding, then it's on! Until then it seems that 4.56s and some type of lockers are what I'm leaning toward.

Having the D44 in the rear helps alot. You can lunch box that and it will hold up great and save some cash, But it will make it locked all the time. I run a Detroit in the rear of mine and am very happy with it. But in snow/ice until you get used to it, Its white knuckle in 2wd. But nothing a couple mins in a parking lot wont fix and get you used to it.
If you go that route then a selectable up front would work perfect. Nothing wrong locking both axles up, But DD it IMO wouldn't be a good option. But I'm going off of where you live and "what could" happen etc. But if its open until you lock it you will be fine with one in the front.
There are many options you can do, Just have to pick the best one for your driving style and needs and go from there. Good luck
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
RUBIJ0E
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I heard Detroits or anything for that matter that are automatic make loud noises when engaging. I'm also aware about the "white knuckle 2wd" I like the parking lot idea, I've never been in a rig with locker setup so I'm kinda excited to see how all this pans out. Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how it goes. ~Joe

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.