fox vs. bilstein - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > fox vs. bilstein

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
redalert
2006 TJ Wrangler 

fox vs. bilstein

I have a '06 TJ and I recently installed the full traction 3" lift with the basic shocks that they make. I want to upgrade the shocks to get a smoother ride. I wanted to know which shocks will be best for what I am looking for. Fox 2.0 emulsion,or fox 2.0 with remote resovoir, or bilstein 5100, or bilstein 5150?

redalert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
redalert
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Somebody? Anybody?
Unread 04-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #3
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

if you have to ask then you need to do more research. Fox shocks are the absolute best you can buy.

can i ask why you are buying off-road race shocks?

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
redalert
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
if you have to ask then you need to do more research. Fox shocks are the absolute best you can buy.

can i ask why you are buying off-road race shocks?
I want a smoother ride than I currently have. Fox now makes replacement shocks that bolt into a TJ. I'm not putting in coilovers. Are the benefits worth the extra money for the remote resevior?
Unread 04-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

fox shocks are really overkill unless you're doing coil-overs, high-speed or intense off-roading to where shockfade would be a hindrance to your performance. The remote resevior is specifically to add additional fluid and nitrogen to reduce the amount of heat made therefor lessening shock fade. the fox shocks run about $190 a shock, the bolt in ones for the jeep.

the bilstein 5150's are the same way.

if you want a great ride for a reasonable price you should be looking into the Rubicon Express mono-tube shocks, or Old Man Emu. a set of 4 can be picked up for about $200-250. They're built on the same principle of the Fox shocks, a high-PSI nitrogen charged monotube shock, except they cant be rebuilt and have no expansion ports for the rezzies.

but if you want fox, by all means be my guest! id love to have fox shocks with resiviors all the way around, but unfortunately i dont have $800 to drop on shocks, they are rebuildable though.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
redalert
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
fox shocks are really overkill unless you're doing coil-overs, high-speed or intense off-roading to where shockfade would be a hindrance to your performance. The remote resevior is specifically to add additional fluid and nitrogen to reduce the amount of heat made therefor lessening shock fade. the fox shocks run about $190 a shock, the bolt in ones for the jeep.

the bilstein 5150's are the same way.

if you want a great ride for a reasonable price you should be looking into the Rubicon Express mono-tube shocks, or Old Man Emu. a set of 4 can be picked up for about $200-250. They're built on the same principle of the Fox shocks, a high-PSI nitrogen charged monotube shock, except they cant be rebuilt and have no expansion ports for the rezzies.

but if you want fox, by all means be my guest! id love to have fox shocks with resiviors all the way around, but unfortunately i dont have $800 to drop on shocks, they are rebuildable though.
What about running fox in the back and something else in the front or vice versa? Or what about the bilstein 5100's are those any good? Thanks for your input by the way. Also I don't have the back seat in and don't plan on putting it back in. Don't know if that matters at all.

Last edited by redalert; 04-24-2008 at 01:10 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.