FORUM Project - 98 TJ Build from Scratch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > FORUM Project - 98 TJ Build from Scratch

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 10-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
DekX

FORUM Project - 98 TJ Build from Scratch

Hi everyone.. just joined the club and need I am going to do something a little different. I'm going to leave the upgrade of my TJ to the Forum members.

CHALLENGE: Take my stock 1998 TJ 4.0L Sahara 5-speed-Manual, 30x9.5 BFG's A/T's, DANA 35 I believe, and make a bigger (tire), wider (tire) more rugged looking Jeep, but that I can maintain my on-road performace, mileage, acceleration, and power output.

BUDGET: As affordable as possible but with some play.

DRIVING HABITS:
Honestly, I want the rugged looks but I dont do any off-roading. Lots of distance driving (road).

QUESTIONS:
-Is there a difference in on-road performance (mileage) if I get BFG A/T's or a Michelin Raod truck tire? Looking at a 31x10.5???

I would sincerely appreciate feedback from any of you...
thanks Again

DekX

DekX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
crawldit
2005 TJ Wrangler 

RE 1.75" BB (about $200)
31x10.5 BFG AT's (about $120 a piece)

And see how you like it. That's honestly about as big as you can go and still maintain stock on-road performace, mileage, acceleration, and power output. Anything else would probably be a waist of your money since you don't offroad anyway (and that's not meant to sound mean).
crawldit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
dl425

If you only want to run 31" tires, I would put a 2" Budget Boost on just for a little more room and I think it looks better, but you don't really have to.

I'm not sure which tires will give you better mileage.

Depending on your gearing you may not want to run larger than 31" tires anyway.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...5/DSC_0338.jpg
Rocky Mountain Edition Club Member #2
dl425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawldit
RE 1.75" BB (about $200)
31x10.5 BFG AT's (about $120 a piece)

And see how you like it. That's honestly about as big as you can go and still maintain stock on-road performace, mileage, acceleration, and power output. Anything else would probably be a waist of your money since you don't offroad anyway (and that's not meant to sound mean).
I would agree with that. a BB is about the only lift that will let you stay about stock as far as performance and ride.
Unread 10-13-2006, 12:31 AM   #5
DekX

Recommend Suspension?

I'm looking at replacing the suspension... a little soft after 8 years almost 9. Or shoud I just get a spacer and new shocks... I do'nt knwo if the springs shojld be replaced or not?
DekX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2006, 04:11 PM   #6
Lostj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekX
I'm looking at replacing the suspension... a little soft after 8 years almost 9. Or shoud I just get a spacer and new shocks... I do'nt knwo if the springs shojld be replaced or not?
i would replace the springs as they are probably sagging a bit.
lx015oɹd uǝpıun 'ɥɔuıʍ ql0009ɟɥ ؛ɹǝıɹɹɐɔ ǝɹıʇ pol 'sɹǝpuǝɟ ǝqnʇ pǝɹɐlɟ"5˙4ʇuʇ :˙ɔsıɯ ؛sɹǝpıls sʞɹoʍʞɔoɹɥs 'pıʞs ǝuıƃuǝ ɔıpǝɯdǝǝɾ 'pıʞs ɹoʇɐıpɐɹ s,ʎʇsnɹ 'ʞuɐʇsɐƃ puɐ xoq ƃuıɹǝǝʇs ʇɥƃıɹuǝƃ :spıʞs ؛pɐoɹɟɟo ɹoɟ sɹǝƃƃoq"53 'ʇǝǝɹʇs ɹoɟ s,ʇ/ɯdɯoɔoɹd"53 :sǝɹıʇ ؛lɯɯ"1 'lq"52˙1 'spq "2 :ʇɟıl ؛ɹǝʌoɔ uǝɯʞoɹ 'loods-ıuıɯ 'sǝʞɐɹq ɔsıp 'sʎollɐ ɥʇıʍ 44p ؛ɹǝʌoɔ ɹǝɥsnɹɔʞɔoɹ 'slɐǝs ǝlxɐ ɹǝʇno 'ɹǝʞɔol ǝıssnɐ 'sʎollɐ /ʍ 03p '6ı :ɾʇ,00
44p '03p '6ı :5ɾɔ,37
s,ʇ/ɐ ƃɟq"23 '44p '03p '8ʌ063 :5ɾɔ,47

The Swamp Things 4x4 Club Jeep Talk HomeGrown Offroad
Lostj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

If you want to replace your springs and want a nice ride get the OME 2.5" springs and shocks.
Unread 10-14-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
savage1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
If you want to replace your springs and want a nice ride get the OME 2.5" springs and shocks.
Nice ride (I hear) and will get you to the height desired for the tires desired.
savage1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #9
Xerxes
1999 TJ Wrangler 

resurrection!

so what ever happened to this????

|::Sahara Owner::|
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.