Firestone tires. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Firestone tires.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
sheenah

Firestone tires.

I need to get new tires for my jeep. The place I went to said Firestone destination a/t was what they recommended. Any personal reviews? Online some people say good others say crap.

sheenah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It really depends what type of tire you need.BFG ATs last forever if you like ATs.I prefer a more rugged MT tire like BFG KM2's or Mickey Thompson MTZs.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
It really depends what type of tire you need.BFG ATs last forever if you like ATs.I prefer a more rugged MT tire like BFG KM2's or Mickey Thompson MTZs.
Forever being like 50~55k. That's all they lasted on my YJ with 6k rotation periods.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Forever being like 50~55k. That's all they lasted on my YJ with 6k rotation periods.
A friend of mine got 65,000 miles and still had enough tread to pass state inspection.Proper tire pressure,alignment and driving style greatly enhance the mileage you get out of them.My MTs last 30,000 if I'm lucky and I rotate every 3,000 miles.
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
A friend of mine got 65,000 miles and still had enough tread to pass state inspection.My MTs last 30,000 if I'm lucky.
See my MT's laster longer. Last set was about 62k. I had some ProComp MT's lasted maybe 25k. Never bought those again.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
duhamel17
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had a set of Firestone Destination MT's not AT's but het were great. Got 75k out of them and sold them to a friend of mine. Rotated them evry oil change. Were not as loud as my BFG KM2's and worked great in the mud and even better in deep snow.
duhamel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
See my MT's laster longer. Last set was about 62k. I had some ProComp MT's lasted maybe 25k. Never bought those again.
62K is 3 Jeeps for me now that I'm buying and selling everything.My first two Jeeps were the only ones I kept for any length of time.
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't recall what mileage my BFG ATs had on them when I sold them used but they had at least 50k miles & a LOT of tread left on them. I agree with those saying that particular tire wears like iron, it's about the longest-wearing tire I am aware of that is commonly run on our Wranglers.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenah View Post
I need to get new tires for my jeep. The place I went to said Firestone destination a/t was what they recommended. Any personal reviews? Online some people say good others say crap.
Oh look! Another thread got instantly derailed by off-topic discussion of BFG AT. It won't be long before one of the Duratrac fans chimes-in as well.

Firestone Destination ATs are great. I wouldn't do anything too hardcore/muddy with them, but they're a great all-purpose, all-terrain tire. 25 million survey submissions on Tirerack also seem to think rather highly of Firestone Dest AT http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

I haven't driven on Firstone ATs in snowy conditions, but I know a lot of guys with plows who use them and are very satisfied, so I'd be inclined to trust them in snow if they can push plows so reliably.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:37 AM   #10
sheenah

Thanks. Yeah I don't really offload. But I like the look of a more rugged tire. Thanks a bunch for the insight.
sheenah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Oh look! Another thread got instantly derailed by off-topic discussion of BFG AT. It won't be long before one of the Duratrac fans chimes-in as well.

Firestone Destination ATs are great. I wouldn't do anything too hardcore/muddy with them, but they're a great all-purpose, all-terrain tire. 25 million survey submissions on Tirerack also seem to think rather highly of Firestone Dest AT http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

I haven't driven on Firstone ATs in snowy conditions, but I know a lot of guys with plows who use them and are very satisfied, so I'd be inclined to trust them in snow if they can push plows so reliably.
I agree with that^.

It's one of the highest rated ATs, and AT is what you want when yo care more about on road performance than off road performance. Most of us spend more time on road than off. So AT makes sense, and AT does improve off road performance compared to a car tire.

Having said all that, my favorite ATs are Cooper AT3, BFG AT, and Nokian AT. Those 3 are excellent ATs and the Cooper AT3 is very affordably priced. Cooper AT3 has a 55K miles warranty. I also like Grabber AT3, except for the harsh-stiff ride quality (bad back).

I'm currently running Cooper AT3 and love them.

However, Firestone AT is among the best ATs. Defineately not junk. I'd consider using it myself, if we had a Firestone store in my local area. Local availability is a key factor in tire choice.

I'm sure there are other excellent ATs that I don't know about. There's a lot of good choices.
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Screw BFG AT's,they sucked 20 years ago and still suck today.
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What type Jeep, what size wheels, and what size tires?
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #14
jimk403
Age and experience
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had the previous version of the Firestone ATs in 33x12.50-15 and loved them. Would probably have the newer version now except the wife doesn't think they are "knobby" enough.
As a side note, one of my grandfathers worked for Goodyear (Akron plant) for 20+ years, and his was probably the only car in the parking lot with Firestone tires. He would NOT run Goodyears, ever.
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:57 AM   #15
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Screw BFG AT's,they sucked 20 years ago and still suck today.
I think they were great on their day. I remember when I was in grade school in 70s and my dad and many of his friends ran highway tires on their SUVs, and others ran MTs. There were no other choices back then. At least none that we knew of. My dad didn't like MTs because in the 70s all MT were terrible on road. I remember one of my dad's friends telling us about a wonderful new invention called an all terrain tire. I think he was telling us about BFG AT, but I can't remember for sure what brand. I remember being super impressed. My dad was skeptical because the bias ply MT of that time had him leery of any off road tire. So he kept using highway tires for daily driving and wheeling, including some amazingly nasty mudding, sand running, and Winter on and off road. In hindsight, it's amazing we did all thos things with highway tires.

Unlike my dad, I wanted to try all terrain tires ever since about 77 or 78. The first and only brand I knew of was BFG AT. I'm not sure if it really was the only AT at that time, or just the only one I knew of. Point being, BFG AT was as American as Apple Pie. It was a legend and an institution, and still is. It certainly was the best AT in it's day. In it's early years it was the only AT, or at least the only one I ever heard of. It was really nice on road compared to bias ply MTs of the day, and really nice off road compared to a highway tire.

It was the greatest of all time, but is now slightly obsolete. There are newer better designs.

The other thing is they were great when American made. My first pair was American made and had perfect quality and at the time was still the best design. It was awesome!

Later they started being made over seas, I suspect in China. My second pair was made over seas and 2 of 5 tires had quality control problems. BFG replaced them with no proration. They are good about honoring warranty.

Next time I needed to buy an AT, I looked for a modern design of tire. I now run Cooper AT3 and love them.

However, if BFG quality control is under control again, then it' still be a good tire, but it needs a design update to make it competitive with great newer designs from other companies.

The reason BFG AT still sells so much and is popular is it's still good, and most of the public doesn't know there are now newer, better AT (usually for less money).

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.