Finally making the purchase. Need Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Finally making the purchase. Need Help!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
jepen
2010 JK Wrangler 

Finally making the purchase. Need Help!

So after weeks of looking at the same tires constantly, I've decided on two possibilities for my JK at 35x12.50x20.
  • Toyo Open Country M/T
  • Cooper Discoverer STT

Which do you guys think is a better tire? As far as my needs, 90% of the time, it will be in the city and not driven very much (I walk to work). This summer though, I've decided I HAVE to start taking this Jeep off road .

jepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

They're both great and virtually the same tire. Make your decision based on whichever one you can get a better price for. I might lean toward the Coopers just based on the fact that I've never really heard/read a bad thing about them while I have heard/seen some negative feedback on the Toyos. It may just be a coincidence and completely insignificant, but if I had no other way of picking 'tween the two...
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

In ATs, I think Cooper AT3 is better than Toyo AT2. The Cooper AT3 is the tits.

In MTs, I think Toyo MT is better than Cooper STT, but there are other MTs better than both of them.

Although Cooper STT and Toyo MT treads look the same, they have very different tread compounds.

Cooper STT has hard tread rubber that will last longer, but have less traction on wet pavement, wet rocks, packed snow, and ice.

Toyo MT has soft tread rubber that doesn't last as long, but has more traction on wet and frozen surfaces.
Unread 05-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
jepen
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I can get the Cooper STT cheaper, so maybe I can base things off that.
Realistically, I don't drive that much so either might be sufficient as far as thread life.
jepen is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.