Finally Joined JF; Let's Discuss 235/85-16s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Finally Joined JF; Let's Discuss 235/85-16s

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
ZEROTHEORY
1998 ZJ 

Finally Joined JF; Let's Discuss 235/85-16s

Google has led me to JF more times than I can count, so I decided I was past due for an account. This isn't my first forum, so YES, I have read the stickies and the search function turned nothing up. This post will be a bit long, but I promise it's because I want to give you as much relevant info as possible. I'm helping you help me!

So, with that out of the way, here's the deal: '99 WJ here. Daily driver with all trail use in mostly gravel/light mud in Colorado's network of national parks (Slaughterhouse, Stillwater Pass, Pickle Gulch, Left Hand Canyon, etc). Just purchased some 3" IRO coils, Pro Comp ES9000 shocks, an upgraded track bar, and a 1" t case drop kit to keep the pinion angles from getting too hairy.

I'm picking up tires from Tire Rack next Friday and find myself in a dilemna. I am stuck deciding between the 235/85-16 or 265/75-16 Duratracs. I'm still running stock wheels with no spacers, so I know the 265 will rub a bit at full flex, but it seems to me the added width would vastly improve off road performance.

My front bumper cover is completely removed, so trimming is not an issue, it's only contact to the rear shock and front chassis components that I'm curious about.
-Is the 265's profile and off road behavior enough to warrant the occasional rub?
-Are 235s a good off-road size? I know they'll be great for cutting through snow in the Colorado winter, but it's all for s*&! if I'm constantly getting pitted when wheeling or worrying about them folding over.
-Should I just dish out some extra scratch for some offset steelies and get the 265s?
-What has been the experience of other Jeepers with these sizes?

ZEROTHEORY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well... I see no one ever answered you. Better late than never.

What did you end up going with and how did it turn out?
XJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.