Fierce Attitude MT - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Fierce Attitude MT

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail *VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Fierce Attitude MT

Ohh, I think I'm the first person to post this. Has anyone heard of the new Fierce line of tires by Goodyear? I came accross them while seeing what Kelly tires has to offer. It sounds like they just release them 2 weeks ago judging by the date on this article
Interstitial Ad - Modern Tire Dealer

You can see some pictures here on their website:
Fierce Tires | Attitude M/T

I'm pretty excited about them right now. I think they look pretty cool. Those of us who have been looking at the Wrangler Duratrac I think will see a strong resemblence to the Fierce Attitude MT.

Fierce Attitude MT

Duratrac

2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My tire guy got a display tire month ago or so of it, 31-10.50 and they are mean looking. Didn't say when they come out but the pics dont do the tire justice at all. IMO they kinda look like the trail mark tire, But the lugs are better and voids deeper along with the sipes should net good wear and controllability.
Unread 08-26-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The do look a lot similar to Duratrac, but I much prefer the Duratrac's smaller and more center treads with more siping. That means the Duratrac would be much the better tire on ice and packed snow. On all other surfaces, I think both tires' treads would perform about equally well.

However, the Duratrac has slightly closer (IMO) outer lugs that would likely make it the better tire on highway. Yet I suspect the Duratrac would be as good in mud because it has its own version of self cleaning ridges between the outer and center treads to aid cleaning. Though it's puzzling (and unfortunate) that Duratrac lacks self cleaning ridges between outer lugs. However, the Attitude tire lacks any cleaning ridges at all.

I think the Duratrac will prove to be the better hybrid tire, especially in winter conditions. Also, GY has takes great steps to ensure Duratrac are very round. So it's probably the better tire in that way too. Don't underestimate the value of a round tire.
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I dont see these tires on GY's website in their online catalog....
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 01:12 AM   #5
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The Duratrac is a A/T. Fierce Attitude is a M/t, Its going to do alot better in mud than the Duratracs. The voids on the fierce is wider and deeper for grip in mud. They wont be as good in snow or ice, But who cares if your going to run m/t's. People drive with worse m/t's in ice and snow all the time, They just drive to the conditions and slow down. Is there a solid reason people need super ice/snow traction?
Theres alot of members who run more extreme tires and live in ice/snow many months of the year and have no complaints. I understand for some, Unlimited for example, Lives in the mountains and goes boarding and skiing, I can see where a second set would be wise as he will be in it alot. But to build your jeep for off-road with armor and lockers, And put street tires on it?? Odd
Sorry for the rant and no pun intended towards anyone, But are people that scared to drive on m/t's in ice/snow? I live in Iowa, It gets 100 here in summer and 0 in winter with just as much ice/snow covered roads, The gravel roads turn hard pack as soon as a couple trucks pass on it.
I know I'm not the only one who looks at this as odd, I have talked with many people over the years and most seem to agree, Slowing down and knowing your rig and how it performs is just as good and will take you anywhere. Chains and ice studs are the only true maximum traction ice/snow options. To each their own.....
Unread 08-26-2009, 02:09 AM   #6
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

these things look sick.

A lot like the duratracs but wider lugs so it is a better M/T

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimbStuff View Post
I dont see these tires on GY's website in their online catalog....
They are a new division of Goodyear, just like Kelly Tires and others are a division of Goodyear. I don't think they will be sold by Goodyear but instead will be sold by other distributors.

As far as roundness goes, I'd be willing to bet that these tires are built on the same carcus as the Duratracs, so I think they will be equally round. I'm also pretty sure the outside lugs will have about the same spacing. Most tires vary spacing and lug size around the tire to help with noise. I'm sure thats why the fierce looks like its more open.

I agree that the Attitude would be better in mud and the Duratrac better in snow and ice. Just pick the one you need. I think they are both good looking tires. Hopefully the Attitude will be offered in more sizes in the future. Right now the sizes are very limited. But then again, I don't know if the tires is even offered for sale yet.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-26-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
Yet I suspect the Duratrac would be as good in mud because it has its own version of self cleaning ridges between the outer and center treads to aid cleaning. Though it's puzzling (and unfortunate) that Duratrac lacks self cleaning ridges between outer lugs. However, the Attitude tire lacks any cleaning ridges at all.
I was investigating the Attitude closer and it looks like their might be some ridges between the outer lugs that look like the barbed wire theme.

Look closely
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

http://www.tirereview.com/default.as...ext&item=13707
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/h...y-pics-733573/

they were announced (and ridiculed) back when the new MTR w/Kevlar, Duratrak, Kelly, Dean, Radial Mud Rover Maxx Traction, etc's came out.

Tell me, for real, do you want a tire on your Jeep called Fierce Attitude that's sporting barbed wire on the sidewall? I think it's even worse than the stupid bullets and bones on a few of the competition.

Maybe if you can get them on the cheap or something... ...but really? Are you that insecure that you have remind everyone how fierce your attitude is?

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Tirereview - Global Tire News
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/h...y-pics-733573/

they were announced (and ridiculed) back when the new MTR w/Kevlar, Duratrak, Kelly, Dean, Radial Mud Rover Maxx Traction, etc's came out.

Tell me, for real, do you want a tire on your Jeep called Fierce Attitude that's sporting barbed wire on the sidewall? I think it's even worse than the stupid bullets and bones on a few of the competition.

Maybe if you can get them on the cheap or something... ...but really? Are you that insecure that you have remind everyone how fierce your attitude is?
Are you really that insecure that you wouldn't purchase this tire BECAUSE it says Fierce Attitude on the sidewall?

I had to laugh at the thread you linked to on Pirate. Everyone was riduculing the tire because of the name. Even though the guys who had acttually driven on the tires said they performed great in the mud and snow which they were designed for. But because they didn't like the name or the barbed wire they thought the tire was ghey and it was for the big truck mall cruiser crowd. Yet I bet if you did a poll over half of those guys have black steelies (not white or chrome. It has to be black to meet current Jeep fashion), a skull and crossbones on something, a spider or spiderweb on something, or a hand grenade shifter or something like that on their rig because it is cool. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them even had a barbed wire tatoo somewhere on his body. Now they want to lecture someone else on style? Thats just lame. They are as much concerned about fashion as the mall cruiser truck crowd and fast and furious crowd that they are ridiculing. They just have different taste and assume that their fashions are better. If it wasn't a matter of fashion, they wouldn't be so insecure about using a tire with an ugly sidewall.

Having said that, I don't particularly like the sidewall, not because its barbed wire, but because I thought it could be more aggressive. But if the tire met my needs otherwise I wouldn't be afraid to run it. I don't like the skull and crossbones on the **** Cepek Crushers either. But I don't rule them out because I don't like them as a fashion statement. When its time for me to purchase tires I will purchase what best meets my needs. Not what is the current fashion trend in the Jeep world.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
Having said that, I don't particularly like the sidewall, not because its barbed wire, but because I thought it could be more aggressive. But if the tire met my needs otherwise I wouldn't be afraid to run it. I don't like the skull and crossbones on the **** Cepek Crushers either. But I don't rule them out because I don't like them as a fashion statement. When its time for me to purchase tires I will purchase what best meets my needs. Not what is the current fashion trend in the Jeep world.
So, all things being equal, leave the Fierce Attitude to the chest thumpers and get the grown-up version of the tire ---- the Duratrac, Maxx Traction, Safari, etc.

BTW, I was one of the first to mount the new MTR's w/Kevlar while the Pirate crowd was still saying they "bring the fail"....
But I still won't run tires that are fashion-oriented like that.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 08-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
So, all things being equal, leave the Fierce Attitude to the chest thumpers and get the grown-up version of the tire ---- the Duratrac, Maxx Traction, Safari, etc.

BTW, I was one of the first to mount the new MTR's w/Kevlar while the Pirate crowd was still saying they "bring the fail"....
But I still won't run tires that are fashion-oriented like that.
The Duratrac is still my first choice right now. I was just excited because I thought i was the first to find the Fierce tires. It also gave me some hope that the Duratrac might have a decent sidewall if they were making a mud tire based on the same tire. I haven't seen the Safari yet to know what that tire looks like. But of all the tires out there right now I like the Duratrac because it looks to be an aggressive all around tire. But the biggest feature that it has for me is the mountain/snowflake symbol telling me its good in extreme climates. I'm considering the Duratrac for my winter tires and possibly something like the Cooper STT or Hankook MT for my summer/trail tires. I like the Fierce Attitude but I don't think it has as tough of a sidewall as I really want for a trail tire. If it did I would just run the Duratrac year round and save the expense of 2 sets of tires.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #13
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Is this the Kelly tire you were thinking? It does look like the same tire again. I like the tread pattern of the Fierce better but the cleaner sidewalls on the Kelly are nicer.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

That's the Kelly; looks like it's more AT oriented: Kelly Tires - Auto & Light Truck - Buying Guide

And the Dunlop is more MT oriented:

Unread 08-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #15
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

IME with Cooper ST, self cleaning ridges aka stone kickers do actually work very well for improving self cleaning of mud and snow. So much so that a tire with cleaning ridges can IME that I've witnessed clean itself as good as a tire with wider voids between lugs, but no cleaning ridges.

That's why I think it's possible the Duractrac might self clean in mud as good as the Fierce Attitude MT that has no self cleaning ridges. The FAMT has only slightly bigger voids between outer lugs, and no self cleaning ridges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
The Duratrac is a A/T. Fierce Attitude is a M/t, Its going to do alot better in mud than the Duratracs. The voids on the fierce is wider and deeper for grip in mud. They wont be as good in snow or ice, But who cares if your going to run m/t's. People drive with worse m/t's in ice and snow all the time, They just drive to the conditions and slow down. Is there a solid reason people need super ice/snow traction?
Theres alot of members who run more extreme tires and live in ice/snow many months of the year and have no complaints. I understand for some, Unlimited for example, Lives in the mountains and goes boarding and skiing, I can see where a second set would be wise as he will be in it alot. But to build your jeep for off-road with armor and lockers, And put street tires on it?? Odd
Sorry for the rant and no pun intended towards anyone, But are people that scared to drive on m/t's in ice/snow? I live in Iowa, It gets 100 here in summer and 0 in winter with just as much ice/snow covered roads, The gravel roads turn hard pack as soon as a couple trucks pass on it.
I know I'm not the only one who looks at this as odd, I have talked with many people over the years and most seem to agree, Slowing down and knowing your rig and how it performs is just as good and will take you anywhere. Chains and ice studs are the only true maximum traction ice/snow options. To each their own.....
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.