Falken Wild Peak AT vs. Falken Rocky Mountain ATS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Falken Wild Peak AT vs. Falken Rocky Mountain ATS

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Falken Wild Peak AT vs. Falken Rocky Mountain ATS

What is the difference? Both tires look the same in pics online, and both tires are within $5 of each other in price when comparing the same size. So what is the difference? And if there is no difference, why would discounttiredirect.com sell both of them side by side?

WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The rocky mountain is exclusive to discounttire... Dont know why.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
jevink88
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
The rocky mountain is exclusive to discounttire... Dont know why.
I was just in Discount tire today and asked that question. He was saying something about the RM ats being a 10 ply and the Wild Peaks not. I'm guessing he didn't know ***** and was just tryin to make up an answer.
Unread 07-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Slidder

Give discounttiredirect and see what they say.

A few vendors referred the Wild Peak AT

When I called discounttiredirect they recommended Rocky Mountains
Slidder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
jeremy04949
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I saw the Wild Peaks today and was surprised at such a deep tread and fairly wide spacing between tread blocks. They where on a Chevy truck w/z71 offroad package. It got me thinking of going with them instead of a mt!
jeremy04949 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I got the wildpeaks and they have defiantly surprised me each time I take them out. They are not loud and I've had on rocks, dirt and mud. They have done very well in each. Second and third pick were in 2wd with limited slip diff.

Came up with that on my own.
image-2355643030.jpg   image-1480304750.jpg   image-3237253471.jpg   image-3733231698.jpg  
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
jeremy04949
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Its a sad fact that the 15" sizes don't come with 3 ply sidewall!!
jeremy04949 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
TGLPilot

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The Rocky Mountain doesn't show up on Falken's site so I called them and was told that other than the sidewall lettering, they're exactly the same tire as the Wild Peak. The RM is exclusive to Discount and America's Tire and likely renamed to avoid their 'price matching' claims...hard to have to match a price when no one else has that tire! lol
TGLPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
jevink88
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevink88 View Post
I was just in Discount tire today and asked that question. He was saying something about the RM ats being a 10 ply and the Wild Peaks not. I'm guessing he didn't know ***** and was just tryin to make up an answer.
Did some digging and some talking... and what I got was that they are the same tire like TGLPilot said. As for my previous answer I'd gotten about the different ply, the LT's are a 10 ply and the Pmetric sizes are only a 4 ply.
Unread 09-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
TGLPilot

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Stopped at the local America's Tire to take a look at the RM's up close and personal...and was disappointed. Falken's site shows the tread depth at 17/32" and using the salesman's depth gauge, that's about what I saw...in the middle of the tire. The depth between the shoulder lugs is only about 6/32" to 7/32"!!

That's probably what stabilizes the lugs to reduce the road noise but it also means that when the shoulder lugs wear down and get 'bald' you'll still have about 10/32" of good tread in the middle. That might not be the end of the world on dry pavement but it's not what I'd want when it gets wet or when the pavement ends.

It's too bad because I've got the Falken ZIEX S/TZ01's on my Suburban and absolutely love them! So I guess it's back to the drawing board (aka BFG AT's ) for the Jeep.
TGLPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
SilvRSpeedX3
2008 JK Wrangler 

My stock SRA's have finally worn out and have done me well, i do a lot of highway driving and was looking for a little bit more of an aggressive A/T tire and saw the wildpeaks....does anyone know how they compare to others as far as street noice and handling and New England winters
Unread 09-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #12
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvRSpeedX3
My stock SRA's have finally worn out and have done me well, i do a lot of highway driving and was looking for a little bit more of an aggressive A/T tire and saw the wildpeaks....does anyone know how they compare to others as far as street noice and handling and New England winters
Mine have been great on the street.
I drive mine every day. Last winter they did well in the snow and ice we know how that goes. Noise wise I think they are pretty quiet maybe not as quiet as the SRA.
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
jevink88
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvRSpeedX3 View Post
I live in the Twin Cities (MN) metro and I've put been on my falkens for just over a week and I honestly can't tell of any more road noise than my GY Fortera HL's. But that's partly because I get so much interstate traffic noise that all I hear are the other vehicles.
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #14
musclezmarinara
2012 KK Liberty 

just ordered the rocky mountains for my KK
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
ollieg843
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I was wondering this myself to be honest. They both have a better price than the General Grabber, but I don't really see any difference whatsoever.
ollieg843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.