Factory alum rim weights - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Factory alum rim weights

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 11-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #91
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I weighed myself holding an Icon, then weighed just myself, then subtracted. Icon weighs 21 lbs (according to my scale).

I did same with a Moab in the past (same scale). Moab weighs 25 lbs (according to my scale)

I did same with Jeep Alcoa Rocky Mountain Edition (forged) in the past (same scale). It weighs 20.5 lbs (according to my scale).

Unread 11-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #92
JPGoody
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Awww yea

Woohoo!

I finally found a set of 6 Eccos to go look at, I can take the best 4 or all 6. The best part is no wheels so I can ghetto paint them before mounting some.................. hmmm, what will I mount on there?

I did like those Terra Trac AT II's I just looked at.

However, no center caps.

Anyone know a cheap place to find them?
JPGoody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #93
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just to add my .02,

I weighed my Moab wheel with 315/75/16 cooper at3 tire and it was just under 90 lbs- 89 to be exact.

I just recently got 35x12.50x15 BFg tires which weight 54: pro comp alloy 15x8 flat black wheels at 15 lbs each.

So by loosing a alloy USA wheel spacer at each wheel: 4 lbs each, and going to a new lighter wheel tire set up I lost approx. 24 lbs at each corner, roughly 100 lbs total!

The 4 cyl definitely appreciates the loss! It's sad because I think the moabs are the best looking wheels ever but for my needs this was a smarter and better solution.

I have read that every pound of unspung weight is about 8-10 pounds of spurg weight lost so my old set was like driving around with 800+ pounds depending in which ratio you choose to believe.

Long live the moabs but they are robust alum wheels.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #94
JPGoody
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ahhh Physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4 View Post
Just to add my .02,

I weighed my Moab wheel with 315/75/16 cooper at3 tire and it was just under 90 lbs- 89 to be exact.

I just recently got 35x12.50x15 BFg tires which weight 54: pro comp alloy 15x8 flat black wheels at 15 lbs each.

So by loosing a alloy USA wheel spacer at each wheel: 4 lbs each, and going to a new lighter wheel tire set up I lost approx. 24 lbs at each corner, roughly 100 lbs total!

The 4 cyl definitely appreciates the loss! It's sad because I think the moabs are the best looking wheels ever but for my needs this was a smarter and better solution.

I have read that every pound of unspung weight is about 8-10 pounds of spurg weight lost so my old set was like driving around with 800+ pounds depending in which ratio you choose to believe.

That is a lot of weight savings! Kudos.

I'm only running 30x9.5 and I'll be able to save about 9-11 lbs at the hot corner, depending upon where the Ecco comes in at for lbs. Shedding 44lbs will be nice.
Unread 11-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #95
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGoody View Post
Woohoo!

I finally found a set of 6 Eccos to go look at, I can take the best 4 or all 6. The best part is no wheels so I can ghetto paint them before mounting some.................. hmmm, what will I mount on there?

I did like those Terra Trac AT II's I just looked at.

However, no center caps.

Anyone know a cheap place to find them?
Get all 6. Then you have one for spare tire and can do a 5 tire rotation, and have the 6th left over for a spare in case a wheel gets damaged in future.

Ghetto paint if you want, but I think Eccos look awesome stock.
Unread 11-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #96
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4 View Post
Just to add my .02,

Moabs were made heavy duty to be used with the equally heavy duty MTR for Offroad use on the 4.0L Rubicon.

Just a heads up - 15x8 is not within the recommended width range of 8.5-11", which BFG specifies for the 35x12.5-15LT T/A KO tire. If it were me, I'd go with one of the Pro Comp Extreme 15x10s, which would only be insignificantly heavier.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #97
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

BTW - back spacing vs tire clearance is relative to wheel width.

For example, an 8" wide wheel with 5.5 BS gives 0.25" MORE tire clearance than a 7" wide wheel with 5.25" BS.

Why? Easiest to explain by examples.

A 15 x 8 with X" BS will have 0.5" more clearance between swaybar and LCAs than a 15 x 7 with X" BS because the 1" wider wheel pulls the inner edge of tire out 0.5".

Moabs are 16 x 8 with 5" BS. So they offer quite a bit of tire clearance to swaybar and LCAs.

An 8" wide wheel with 5" BS offers same tire clearance (to swaybar and LCAs) as a 7" wide wheel with 4.5" BS.
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #98
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
BTW - back spacing vs tire clearance is relative to wheel width.

For example, an 8" wide wheel with 5.5 BS gives 0.25" MORE tire clearance than a 7" wide wheel with 5.25" BS.

Why? Easiest to explain by examples.

A 15 x 8 with X" BS will have 0.5" more clearance between swaybar and LCAs than a 15 x 7 with X" BS because the 1" wider wheel pulls the inner edge of tire out 0.5".

Moabs are 16 x 8 with 5" BS. So they offer quite a bit of tire clearance to swaybar and LCAs.

An 8" wide wheel with 5" BS offers same tire clearance (to swaybar and LCAs) as a 7" wide wheel with 4.5" BS.
Jeep should have provided a forged alum 16x7 with 4.5" BS for the Rubicon instead of the Moab, since 7" is the perfect width for the LT245/75-16, and 8" is really too wide for the narrow 245 tire.
Unread 11-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #99
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
Jeep should have provided a forged alum 16x7 with 4.5" BS for the Rubicon instead of the Moab, since 7" is the perfect width for the LT245/75-16, and 8" is really too wide for the narrow 245 tire.
That is true, if Jeep really intended people to use 245/75R16 tires on Rubicon TJ, but I think Jeep provided that wheel knowing larger and wider tires would be used on it. A 265/75R16 load C is ideal on a Moab and fits a stock Rubicon with little or no lift.

That or maybe Jeep screwed up like you said.

===

Edited in Later: A 16 x 7 with 5.25" BS would have enough tire clearance for 245/75R16 on a TJ, and there would be minimal strain on wheel bearings. So really TJ Rubis should have come with Icon or Silverstar, if 245/75R16 is the tire Jeep really intended.

===

TJ non-Rubis often came with 30 x 9.5 R15 on 15 x 8. That is a mismatch IMO. A 30 x 9.5 R15 is best on a 15 x 7, and a 31 x 10.5 R15 is best on a 15 x 8. So what was Jeep thinking? It's possible they make mistakes.

As for forged, those are strongest and lighter than steel, but are EXPENSIVE, and unnecessary for most off roaders. Only the most brutal high speed (racing) off road adventures need forged wheels. The vast majority of Jeeps will never be used that fast and hard.

Also, there is one possible downside of forged wheels. AFAIK no forged wheels are hubcentric.
Unread 11-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #100
JPGoody
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Center Caps

How Universal are the center caps for the aluminum wheels?

I scored some Ecco rims sans caps and am struggling a bit to find replacements. They are all over e-bay and even found a road side collector of things that has a set. Some have black lettering, some don't some are plain I don;t really care the style too much just curious how to sort this out.

Are there basically 2 sizes fits all over the years?
Unread 11-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #101
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGoody View Post
How Universal are the center caps for the aluminum wheels?

I scored some Ecco rims sans caps and am struggling a bit to find replacements. They are all over e-bay and even found a road side collector of things that has a set. Some have black lettering, some don't some are plain I don;t really care the style too much just curious how to sort this out.

Are there basically 2 sizes fits all over the years?
http://www.hubcaps.org/wrangler.html
Unread 11-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #102
JPGoody
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Spendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
Ahh Ha! That helps a bit thanks. Now if only those who listed items for sale on CL/e-bay and the like knew what they had.

However, I didn't pay that much for rims, who buys from that site? Ca-razy.
Unread 11-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #103
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I recently bought Icon wheels in good shape, but I like my Ecco wheels and 30 x 9.5 R15 tire size so much that I might never use the Icons. I'm leaning towards continuing using my Eccos forever and keeping on using 30 x 9.5 R15 tires forever. Though next time I might try a different tire brand.
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #104
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just weighed an Ecco wheel.

Reads 18 lbs on my bathroom scale.

I weighed myself, then I weighed myself holding the wheel. Then I subtracted. That is as accurate a method as possible with a bathroom (spring) scale.

I estimate true weight is somewhere between 17.5 & 18.5.
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #105
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

i like the 8 inch rim over the 10 due to the bead being able to stay on longer vs the wider wheel.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.