Factory alum rim weights - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Factory alum rim weights

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #46
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Read what I said in earlier post about 15 x 8 (cast) aluminum wheels.

That's probably the best info you can get, other than getting someone to weigh a stock cast 15x8 for you.

If you want stock 15 x 8 forged, I have a brand new set of Jeep Alcoa forged aluminum wheels new in the box. The weigh 20 lbs each. I bought them from a Jeep dealership on close out sale (still spendy).

These are the wheels that came on 2004 Rocky Mountain Special Edition Wranglers. I might be willing to sell, but not cheap. They are forged Alcoa (the best wheels) made for Jeep and they are rare and new in the box(es).

If you want cheap, look for used Ravine, Canyon, Gambler, or other stock cast aluminum Wrangler wheels. That's if you want sto k cast 15x8 (as opposed to stock cast 15x7).
Are you familiar with the Alcoa 16x8 forged non-hubcentric alloys which came on the 2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon? I assume(maybe incorrectly) that they have the same BS as the Moabs? How about the weight? Being forged, I imagine they might be almost as heavy as the Moabs.

Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #47
ODAMO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes they are a bit heavy but part of the weight is from 3-ply sidewalls so they are pretty durable tires. Way stronger than the 2 ply stock tires that came on the jeep
ODAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #48
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I weighed a 16 x 8 Moab and it weighs 25.5 lbs. A heavy sucker for an aluminum wheel IMO.

I weighed a 15 x 8 American Racing Ansen Sprint racing wheel (non-hubcentric) and it weighs 18.5 lbs. That is light and IMO sets the standard for a strong light wheel.

One of the members here weighed a Ravine and posted (in another thread) that it weighs 19.5 lbs.

That same member weighed a Silverstar 16 x 7 and posted that it weighs 23 bs.

I weighed a 15 x 8 forged aluminum Alcoa Jeep (non hubcentric) wheel (from 2004 Rocky Mountain Edition) Wrangler and it weighed 20.5 lbs. Forged aluminum is slightly denser and heavier than cast.

Unfortuneately each person's scale is probably accurate to plus or minus one pound. So a comparison using different scales could be as much as 2 pounds wrong. You can see evidence of this when different people weigh same wheel on different scales and then report signifigantly different results, as has happened several times in this thread.

To get really accurate comparisons we'd all have to use same scale, or all have to use really good balance beam scales.
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #49
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

15x7 < 15x8 (around 3 to 4 lbs difference, IMO)

15x8 < 16x8 (around 5 to 6 lbs difference, IME)

Cast Aluminum < Forged Aluminum (around 2 lbs difference, IME)

Cast Aluminum < Steel (around 5 to 7 lbs difference, IMO)
Unread 11-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #50
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I weighed a 16 x 8 Moab and it weighs 25.5 lbs. A heavy sucker for an aluminum wheel IMO.

I weighed a 15 x 8 American Racing Ansen Sprint racing wheel (non-hubcentric) and it weighs 18.5 lbs. That is light and IMO sets the standard for a strong light wheel.

One of the members here weighed a Ravine and posted (in another thread) that it weighs 19.5 lbs.

That same member weighed a Silverstar 16 x 7 and posted that it weighs 23 bs.

I weighed a 15 x 8 forged aluminum Alcoa Jeep (non hubcentric) wheel (from 2004 Rocky Mountain Edition) Wrangler and it weighed 20.5 lbs. Forged aluminum is slightly denser and heavier than cast.

Unfortuneately each person's scale is probably accurate to plus or minus one pound. So a comparison using different scales could be as much as 2 pounds wrong. You can see evidence of this when different people weigh same wheel on different scales and then report signifigantly different results, as has happened several times in this thread.

To get really accurate comparisons we'd all have to use same scale, or all have to use really good balance beam scales.
I think you're talking about me - the Ravine weighed 17 lbs and the Silverstar 20.5 lbs.

Another member weighed a 16x8 TJ Moab and got 30 lbs. Quadratec says their Moab copy is 25 lbs and is made by the same mfr that made the TJ Moabs, so I believe 25.5 is more likely correct.

You say that American Racing's Ansen Sprint is strong and light, but AR's are all cast in China now. Do you consider them as safe as the TJ factory alloys?
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #51
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
I think you're talking about me - the Ravine weighed 17 lbs and the Silverstar 20.5 lbs.

Another member weighed a 16x8 TJ Moab and got 30 lbs. Quadratec says their Moab copy is 25 lbs and is made by the same mfr that made the TJ Moabs, so I believe 25.5 is more likely correct.

You say that American Racing's Ansen Sprint is strong and light, but AR's are all cast in China now. Do you consider them as safe as the TJ factory alloys?
I bought my Ansen Sprint years ago. I don't know where they were made. Mine are well made. However, I prefer Jeep factory hub centric wheels.

There is no way a Moab weighs 30 lbs. My scales says 25.5 lbs. If Quadratec says 25 lbs then I think 25 lbs is the correct #.

So that means my scale reads 0.5 lbs heavier than reality.

So now armed with that knowledge, I know my Ansen Sprint 15 x 8 cast aluminum really weigh 18 lbs and my Jeep Alcoa 15 x 8 forged aluminum really weigh 20 lbs.

Soon I'll weigh an Ecco and an Icon, and now that I know my scale is off a half pound, I can know and report their accurate weights.
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #52
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome thread!

I am going to a lighter wheel soon: my Moab wheel and 315/75/16 cooper at3 weights 90 lbs! I am going to a 35 inch BFg AT/ko and a pro comp 15x8 alloy wheel and that should shed almost 30 lbs per wheel! The wheel weighs 15-16 lbs. and the tire is listed at 52 lbs. I hope this helps the little 4 banger out!
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #53
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Are you familiar with the Alcoa 16x8 forged non-hubcentric alloys which came on the 2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon? I assume(maybe incorrectly) that they have the same BS as the Moabs? How about the weight? Being forged, I imagine they might be almost as heavy as the Moabs.
Those Tomb Raider wheels probably weigh same (or similar) as Moab wheels because forged aluminum is about 2 lbs heavier per wheel than cast aluminum, but hubcentric weigh about 2 lbs more than non hubcenric. So it's a wash, IMO. They probably weigh same.

Moabs weigh 25 lbs. Tomb Raider Edition Jeep Alcoa wheels probably weigh around 25 lbs.
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #54
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4 View Post
Awesome thread!

I am going to a lighter wheel soon: my Moab wheel and 315/75/16 cooper at3 weights 90 lbs! I am going to a 35 inch BFg AT/ko and a pro comp 15x8 alloy wheel and that should shed almost 30 lbs per wheel! The wheel weighs 15-16 lbs. and the tire is listed at 52 lbs. I hope this helps the little 4 banger out!
Moabs are heavy for aluminum wheels.

25 lbs per wheel is heavy for a 1/4 ton SUV, IMO.

I used to own Moabs. They hurt gas mileage, acceleration, and braking to a noticeable extent (and I had a 4 Liter, 6 Cyl).

When possible I like to keep wheel weight to 20 lbs or less. The less the better. Saving 5 lbs per wheel is noticeable, IME.
Unread 11-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #55
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Moabs are heavy for aluminum wheels.

25 lbs per wheel is heavy for a 1/4 ton SUV, IMO.

I used to own Moabs. They hurt gas mileage, acceleration, and braking to a noticeable extent (and I had a 4 Liter, 6 Cyl).

When possible I like to keep wheel weight to 20 lbs or less. The less the better. Saving 5 lbs per wheel is noticeable, IME.
I get 16.3 mpg with Moabs & 245/75x16 AT2s on an '04 Rubi. That's 71 lbs of wheel/tire. So what mileage increase could I expect going to a 21 lb 16x7 with a Duratrac C load 245/75 at 40 lbs for a 61 lb total? Also, it feels nimble & quick with the 5 speed & 4.10 gear, would I feel a significant difference?
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #56
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

By the way, since we know Moab weigh 25 pounds and they are 16 x 8, I think Icons and Silver Stars (16 x 7) must weigh considerably less than 25 pounds. I would guess they weigh around 21 pounds.

I know someone has weighed them and claimed 24 lbs, but I don't believe it. Their scale must be off.

I will weigh an Icon next Friday.
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:52 AM   #57
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

As I've posted several times now, my Silverstars weigh between 20 and 21 lbs.
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #58
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
As I've posted several times now, my Silverstars weigh between 20 and 21 lbs.
Yes. That seems plausible. I had forgotten you posted that.

I want to double check with my scale. Though it'll be an Icon that I weigh since I have Icon.

It's possible that Silverstar might be slightly lighter (maybe a pound) than Icon. If so, then your Silverstar weight figure of approximatley 20.5 lbs sounds very plausible.

While I'm at it, I'll also weigh an Ecco too. I expect it to weigh around 15 lbs, but we'll see.
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #59
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes. That seems plausible. I had forgotten you posted that.

I want to double check with my scale. Though it'll be an Icon that I weigh since I have Icon.

It's possible that Silverstar might be slightly lighter (maybe a pound) than Icon. If so, then your Silverstar weight figure of approximatley 20.5 lbs sounds very plausible.

While I'm at it, I'll also weigh an Ecco too. I expect it to weigh around 15 lbs, but we'll see.
Those numbers will be interesting.
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #60
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I get 16.3 mpg with Moabs & 245/75x16 AT2s on an '04 Rubi. That's 71 lbs of wheel/tire. So what mileage increase could I expect going to a 21 lb 16x7 with a Duratrac C load 245/75 at 40 lbs for a 61 lb total? Also, it feels nimble & quick with the 5 speed & 4.10 gear, would I feel a significant difference?
What tires do you have now? AT2 of what brand and load rating?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.