Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Factory alum rim weights

45K views 120 replies 9 participants last post by  Ed209 
#1 ·
Hi I've searched around on here and didnt really find what I want. I'm looking for the weight in lbs of stock rims that came with 1997-2006 wranglers. I like the look of alot of the alum ones and they are far cheaper than aftermarket.

I'm not really worried about back spacing because they are all the same for the most part. I have steelies and they are heavy. I like basically All the alum rims that were optioned, the grizzly,ravine ect.

I was wondering if anyone had the weights of them? So that I could make the best possible choice for an upgrade. Thanks any help is appreciated !

#2 ·
I've always been curious about this as well.

Here is a post I made once upon a time that might come in handy to someone during the course of this thread. I'd love to have some weights to add to all this other info.
Jeep alloy 5x4.5 pattern wheels.

• 5 Slot 15x6 unknown BS (probably 4.25)
  • Turbine 15x7 5.25 BS
  • Lace 15x7 5.25 BS
  • 5 Star 15x7 5.25 BS
  • 10-hole 15x7 5.25 BS
  • Teardrop 15x7 5.25 BS
  • Ecco 15x7 5.25 BS ~19 lbs
  • Grizzly 15x7 5.25 BS ~19 lbs
  • Canyon 15x8 5.5 BS ~20 lbs
  • Ravine 15x8 5.5 BS ~17-18 lbs
  • Gambler 15x8? 5.5 BS
  • TJ Moab 16x8 5 BS ~25.5 lbs
  • Icon 16x7 5.25 BS ~21 lbs
  • ZJ Timberline (aka Snowflake) 16x? 5.25 BS
  • TSI 16x7? 5.25 BS
  • Silver star (ZJ 5.9) 16x7 5.25 BS ~20-21 lbs
  • No info on early ZJ 5 slanted spoke wheels.
  • Unknown name KJ wheel 16x7 unknown BS (prolly 5.5) ~24 lbs
  • Unknown name KJ wheel 17x7.5 unknown BS (prolly 5.5)

#3 ·
I had an 06 Wrangler Rubicon with 16 x 8 stock aluminum wheels. They weighed 25.5 lbs. I weighed them.

I bought American Racing Ansen Sprint wheels that were 15 x 8 aluminum. They were not hubcentric. They weighed 18.5 lbs. I weighed them.

So I think it's likely that stock 15 x 8 aluminum wheels (Canyons, Ravines, etc) would weigh around to 19 to 20 lbs since they are hubcentric.

#5 ·
I weighed a wheel from a 2005 Rubicon and it was over 30 lbs. Those wheels are forged aluminum, not cast, and were VERY heavy. Combined with the LT "E" tires that came on them from the factory, the combo was super heavy for such a small vehicle and that's why Jeep got so many complaints and ditched them when the 2007 JK Rubicon came out.

#8 ·
IME in size 15x 8 I have found that forged aluminum wheels are about 3 lbs heavier than cast.

I own a set of each of those and have weighed them.

Forged wheels are heavier than cast because forged wheels are denser (and stronger) than cast. However, forged aluminum is still lighter and stronger than mild steel, and way stronger than cast aluminum.

The weight figures I gave in earlier post are for cast aluminum wheels. For forged, add about 3 lbs for a 15x8 wheel, or 4.5 to 5 lbs for 16x8 wheel.

#6 ·
Does anyone else have any I do on these rims above? I'd prefer the 15in rims tho

#9 ·
Read what I said in earlier post about 15 x 8 (cast) aluminum wheels.

That's probably the best info you can get, other than getting someone to weigh a stock cast 15x8 for you.

If you want stock 15 x 8 forged, I have a brand new set of Jeep Alcoa forged aluminum wheels new in the box. The weigh 20 lbs each. I bought them from a Jeep dealership on close out sale (still spendy).

These are the wheels that came on 2004 Rocky Mountain Special Edition Wranglers. I might be willing to sell, but not cheap. They are forged Alcoa (the best wheels) made for Jeep and they are rare and new in the box(es).

If you want cheap, look for used Ravine, Canyon, Gambler, or other stock cast aluminum Wrangler wheels. That's if you want sto k cast 15x8 (as opposed to stock cast 15x7).

#12 ·
Ya I really like the looks of the ravine canyon ecco and grizzly. So that's what I was lookin at. My stock steel wheels with 31x10.50 km2s were waaayyyy heavier than some Mickey tompsons with 33x12.50 destination mts. I know the 33s prolly weigh close to the same or less than my 31s but its allllot more tire still and if those rims made that big of a difference!!

With the 33s on my jeep wasnt any slower in acceleration than if it had the 31s. And it's all cuz of that insprung weight. So if I can shave 5 -10 off each rim than awesome

#14 ·
Ya I really like the looks of the ravine canyon ecco and grizzly. So that's what I was lookin at. My stock steel wheels with 31x10.50 km2s were waaayyyy heavier than some Mickey tompsons with 33x12.50 destination mts. I know the 33s prolly weigh close to the same or less than my 31s but its allllot more tire still and if those rims made that big of a difference!!

With the 33s on my jeep wasnt any slower in acceleration than if it had the 31s. And it's all cuz of that insprung weight. So if I can shave 5 -10 off each rim than awesome
Agreed, except it's rotating mass that's the issue for accereration, braking, and gas mileage.

Increased unsprung weight makes suspension not work as good. Rougher ride, less traction when going fast off road, etc.

A heavy tire/wheel combo gives problems in both areas (rotating mass and unsprung weight).

#15 ·
Yes but less unsprung is part of the weight equation because most of your rotating mass is unsprung except for half of your driveshafts depending on who ya talk to. But either way haha

#16 ·
But your right I should have said rotating mass my brain is all over the place trying to lighten things haha

#17 ·
Haha you don't have to do that. I'm off Monday so I'm gona do some shopping head down to the local jeep junk yard and a few other places and see what they have and weigh them.
Don't go out of your way to weigh your rims tho

#19 ·
Haha ok I will keep this post updated and let ya know what I find

#20 ·
Ok this is what I have found so far. No one around me has anything really but I found one so here's the weight and here's a pic of it.

I think it's an Ecco but I could be wrong I weighed it and it was 19.5 lbs with a good accurate digital scale

Attachments

#22 ·
Ok cool I wasn't sure if that was the case or not. The nearest place to have all the rims is Davies jeep but its 1.2 hrs away and I'm
Not going unless I'm buying haha. I have another yard calling me when they get the gambler wheels off a xj that just came in so I might get those and or just weigh em.

He laughed when I asked him if it be alright if I weighed them and not buy them. He was like uhm ya?!? Idk haha

#23 ·
Well I have a lead on some grizzlys the rims I was originally going for. He said he would weigh em for me and he's asking 75 for. Ill pay that as long as they aren't whooped. Ill keep it updated
I'm still gona try to find out the weights for the other alum factory rims as well. Someone needs too haha

#26 ·
So I'm Finding out the ravine wheels are 20lbs a piece and the same person is saying to steelies are 30
A piece

#29 ·
Okay so I did some weighing. My 31x10.5 R15 BFGoodrich KM 2 weigh 44 lbs brand new. So when I weighed the tire and rim my total weight was 71lbs. So the steelies weigh about 26-27 lbs. give or take .5 lbs because my km2s are about 60%

So ill round down and say 26lbs for the steelies. So when I get these grizzlies today ill weigh them. Hopefully they will be around 19lb and with 5 I can save about 35lbs total and 28 in driveline rotational mass

#30 ·
And 28lbs Is alot. There isn't much more you can take off your jeep that weighs 28lbs. Maybe the rear seat but still

#31 ·
Well I weighed my rear seat. It weighs 38lbs. So I guess you could say seat removal saves a good amount of weight haha

#33 ·
Just got em just weighed em. After 2 weighs the avg was 18.8lbs. So 19lbs. Pretty happy and only for 80$

#36 ·
That is the plan. Good thin my brother is in auto body haha

#38 ·
Ya and today I came up on some km2 33x10.50 for 500 with only 1000 miles on em. They weigh 4 more lbs then the 31s so in the end matched up with the grizzlies I'm going to save weight haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.