Duratracs or KM2's? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Duratracs or KM2's?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Duratracs or KM2's?

Might seem like comparing apples to oranges but I'm kinda just looking for experiences. Mostly offroad. I think my mind is already set on the duratracs in 33x12.5x15, I haven't read a bad thing about them. I drive the jeep on the road mostly, but still only occasionally, and I definitely wheel it. Hows everyones experience with them offroad? How do people like the KM2's on and offroad? I don't seem to see as much positive feedback for the KM2's as I thought I would.

MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
mark422
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've had km2's on mine for awhile. I like them they've got me threw some crap. I plan on buying them again soon. After 40k I'm about due for a new set.
mark422 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
Gumpy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I love my KM2's. They drive great on the road as far as mudders go and have improved tread pattern over the past BFG MT. I haven't ran the duratracs but I don't think you can go wrong with the KM2. I haven't heard a complaint from anyone I know that runs them.
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've had both tires. Duratracks are a good tire (IMHO Goodyear version of the BFG KO) The KM2's are just awesome!! Nice big lugs, great tire in snow, mud and sand! They have excellent road manners. Had these tires on for a little over 2 years and their wearing great!! I'd go with the KM2's!!
KLT88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
4ll4boutda4play
1997 XJ Cherokee 

KM2's here! They are SICK! absolutely no complaints.
1997 Cherokee Sport, Rustys Intake with velocity stack and larger cone filter, Flowmaster 40 series, Junkyard Lift 3.5", Zone Nitro Shocks, Trimed fenders, 35x14.5x15 TSL Thornbirds (Looks HUGE) ... trail damage :) Future holds Aftermarket bumpers front and rear, exo cage, lockers/gears
4ll4boutda4play is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Wow, not the response i thought i'd get. Everyone loves their Duratracs so much I thought thats the response I'd hear. How are the KM2's onroad? I know the duratracs rock every terrain except for mud possibly. And they are only 2 ply. I wheel my wrangler so I do wanna be limited offroad by the duratracs, but being able to hear the radio at 60 mph would be pretty cool too.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
cj777
1977 CJ7 

The duratrac is basically an all terrain. The KM2 is a mud terrain. Of course the KM2 is better off road. Is the KM2 a great tire offroad? No, not at all, but it's better than an AT

'74 CJ5
'81 CJ7
'03 TJ
cj777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 02:06 AM   #8
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would go with KM2 if all you do is off road, the duratracs are a great tire, probably the best AT tire made, they are great for those of us the DD and still take our jeeps off road.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 05:10 AM   #9
FucusJeep
1994 ZJ 

if you drive on icy roads at all then get the Duratracs hands down. I have 31" dura's and my buddy has KM2's and we drive the same roads everyday to work (70kms round trip, mostly highway), and lately theres been quite a bit of snow and ALOT of ice and he's complaining constantly how he slides and fish tales all over the place when on ice. He picked me up last week and it was scary in his jeep only going 70kms/h. where as in my jeep with the duratracs i havent had to slow down once. these tires really grip the ice well, no sliding what so ever, thats the main reason why I got them is for how well everyone said they performed on ice.(and just for the record....they're a million times better then BFG A/T's in everyway so far)
FucusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
mark422
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem one time with mine. Then I filled my gas tank up and put my gear in the trunk. Then it drove nice again. Weight makes a big difference with them on ice for some.
mark422 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.