Duratrac vs Silent Armor for my DD? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Duratrac vs Silent Armor for my DD?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Hey Guys - Extreme Terrain Jeep Outfitters - ExtremeTerraiThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
04Wrangler2000
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Duratrac vs Silent Armor for my DD?

I'm not sure which tire to go with on my Daily Driver Tj. I like the aggressive look of the duratrac but wonder if the silent armory would be better since I'm more of an occasional light off-loading weekend warrior type. Any one have any experience with these tires? Would the silent armors do well with some off road use? Thanks

04Wrangler2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
brockj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had a set of duratrac's on a jku and I think they were great tires. They did awesome in snow and rain, never had them off road but I'm sure by the tread design they would do great. I dont have any experience with the silent armor though.
brockj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I've been running a set of 265-75-16 Duratracs for past couple of years. Great all around tire I think. Installed at 129,000, now at 212,000 and still rolling along pretty good. Will have another set when these wear out
Unread 01-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

If the choice is only between those two... Silent Armors. People love Duratracs around here, but I honestly don't believe they're the most appropriate choice if I understand your needs. GY Wrangler Adventure w/ Kevlar is slated to replace Silent Armors someday, and if they're available in a size that works for you, that might be something to consider as well.

Personally, I wouldn't choose any of these. At least in any sizes that apply to me, the good Goodyears (like SA and Duratrac) just strike me as overpriced given other tires that are just as good that can be had for less. So many other Goodyears are just garbage not worth considering at all. I'd personally roll with something like
  • Hercules Terra Trac AT2
  • Cooper Discoverer AT3
  • General Grabber AT2
  • Kumho Road Venture AT KL78
  • Mastercraft Courser AXT
Unread 01-18-2015, 11:39 PM   #5
jimk403
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
If the choice is only between those two... Silent Armors. People love Duratracs around here, but I honestly don't believe they're the most appropriate choice if I understand your needs. GY Wrangler Adventure w/ Kevlar is slated to replace Silent Armors someday, and if they're available in a size that works for you, that might be something to consider as well.

Personally, I wouldn't choose any of these. At least in any sizes that apply to me, the good Goodyears (like SA and Duratrac) just strike me as overpriced given other tires that are just as good that can be had for less. So many other Goodyears are just garbage not worth considering at all. I'd personally roll with something like
  • Cooper Discoverer AT3
  • General Grabber AT2
^^^This^^^
We had Duratracs and did not like them at all after about 10k. Wife almost traded in the JK because of the noise.
Where I work are some Ford trucks, an F350 diesel and F250 gas. Both 2012. They are on the Googyear adventure w/kevlar tires. They wear them out in under 10k miles. Even though they are big heavy trucks, I would think the tires should last a little longer.
Unread 01-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

I wasn't impressed at all with the Duratracs when I had em on. Not familiar with the others.

mschi had some good suggestions.
Unread 01-24-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post

• Cooper Discoverer AT3
  • General Grabber AT2
I agree with everything you said, except my preferred list is slightly different. The below is my list in no particular order.

Silent Armor - Winter rated
Hercules AT2 - Winter rated
Cooper ATW - Winter rated
Cooper AT3
Mastercraft Courser AXT
D!ck Cepek Trail Country

All the tires on my list are going to have a nice comfortable ride (if P or C rated) and excellent road manners, and be quiet on highway. For on road P is best, but C is quite good too. For weekend warrior offroad a P is OK for mild off road, but a C is tougher and had deeper tread for more traction. So a C is preferable off road.

The first 3 tires on my list also are Winter traction rated ATs, which means they'll give better Winter traction than non-Winter-rated ATs.

The last 3 on my list are not Winter traction rated and their Winter traction wouldn't be as good, but they have fewer sipes and slightly harder rubber, which makes them a bit more durable on gravel roads and off road in general. For mud the Cooper AT3 is better than other ATs, IMO.

Grabber AT2 is a good tire on road and very tough off road, and it's Winter traction rated too, but it rides much rougher/harsher than those other ATs (even when comparing same load rating) and it has more rolling resistance on highway, which means less gas mileage. On the other hand, it's a darn good AT if offroad is a priority; but I think it's not appropriate for the OP because not good enough on road, and tougher than he needs off road, IMO.

It's not on my short list, but I'd also take a look at and consider Hankook ATM.
Unread 01-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #8
slowlowford
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I only have experience with the Duratracs 315-70 r17. They are on my Dodge 2500 diesel and I love them. They have been excellent on the wet/snowy roads. I have never had the in any real mud,but they work great on sloppy logging roads (approx 6-8" mud). Also, look into the Cooper ST Maxx. I have friends that have them on a JK and a 1500 Chevy, and they really like them. I might have went with them, if I would have seen the tires before I bought the Duratracs. You can get the Coopers in a heavier load rating.
Unread 01-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #9
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlowford View Post
I only have experience with the Duratracs 315-70 r17. They are on my Dodge 2500 diesel and I love them. They have been excellent on the wet/snowy roads. I have never had the in any real mud,but they work great on sloppy logging roads (approx 6-8" mud). Also, look into the Cooper ST Maxx. I have friends that have them on a JK and a 1500 Chevy, and they really like them. I might have went with them, if I would have seen the tires before I bought the Duratracs. You can get the Coopers in a heavier load rating.
I'd call 6" to 8" of mud real mud for anyone who isn't intentionally looking to go mudding. Certainly for a daily driver who's trying to go about his business, not wanting to go mud bogging, but the road/trail got muddy on him.

I haven't owned Duratrac, but I assume they are good in 8" mud a person might find on a trail or logging road.

I've had my Cooper AT3 is 4" of mud and it handled it easily going forward in 2wd with open diff, but when I went to backup at end of deadend road, I had to put it in 4wd to back up. That's good for an AT that's really excellent on highway.
Unread 01-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #10
99WJ01TJ
1999 WJ 

I've had every type of big name tire on both my wj, and my tj. From bfg km2's to general grabbers. That being said for off and on road so far the longest lasting most comfortable ride with good road manners and off road(and winter traction) that didn't break the bank, have to be my bfg rugged terrains. I put them on my wj in 2010 @ 143,xxx miles. I'm sitting at 181,xxx and though my tread depth gauge is in the garage somewhere, these tires easily have another 1-2 years left. And yes I know that tires typically shouldn't be on a vehicle for more than 5 years.
99WJ01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #11
LouC
2007 WK 

General Grabber AT2 is excellent for the price. I have them on both Jeeps, the 98 has LT 235/75-15s and the WK has 245/70-17s, both have been off road on the beach many times aired down to 12 psi and they work great everywhere. In the same sizes they are quite bit cheaper than either Goodyear you mentioned.
I have not found that they ride rough either, even on the ZJ with its solid front axle and Bilstein high pressure gas shocks.
Unread 01-27-2015, 04:56 AM   #12
karlo

Had the Duratracs and had no problems. They are relatively quiet and smooth on the highway.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 05:15 AM   #13
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ive had the Duratracs for 30k miles over the last 1.5yrs. They were great at first, but have become annoyingly loud and theyre a pain for any shop to balance. Sometimes takes multiple tries.
05LJTampa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #14
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ01TJ View Post
I've had every type of big name tire on both my wj, and my tj. From bfg km2's to general grabbers. That being said for off and on road so far the longest lasting most comfortable ride with good road manners and off road(and winter traction) that didn't break the bank, have to be my bfg rugged terrains. I put them on my wj in 2010 @ 143,xxx miles. I'm sitting at 181,xxx and though my tread depth gauge is in the garage somewhere, these tires easily have another 1-2 years left. And yes I know that tires typically shouldn't be on a vehicle for more than 5 years.
Are the Rugged Terrains Winter rated traction devices? If so, I might have to give them another look.
Unread 01-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #15
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
General Grabber AT2 is excellent for the price. I have them on both Jeeps, the 98 has LT 235/75-15s and the WK has 245/70-17s, both have been off road on the beach many times aired down to 12 psi and they work great everywhere. In the same sizes they are quite bit cheaper than either Goodyear you mentioned.
I have not found that they ride rough either, even on the ZJ with its solid front axle and Bilstein high pressure gas shocks.
I think you're the only person I've ever read saying Grabber AT2 don't ride rougher. I had some and they were the roughest riding AT I've ever had. Though they were also the toughest AT with thickest sidewalls of any AT I've ever known of.

Tags
armor , duratrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.