Duratrac... TA/KO... Or something else? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Duratrac... TA/KO... Or something else?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
TJoshX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Duratrac... TA/KO... Or something else?

Hey guys so it's that time again to buy some new tires.

I moved to the Bay Area California and unfortunately do not do much of any off-roading anymore. 98% of all my driving is now freeway and i'm looking for an all-terrain tire that looks good that i'm going to get some longevity out of.

Immediately the BFG All-Terrains came to mind but I am hearing a lot about these Goodyear Duratracs, though I am also hearing they are "softer".

Who has some experience and would anyone recommend anything else?

Cheers,

Josh

2002 Inline 6 TJ-X 4.0, D30/D35 w.4:56s
2inch BDS Full Coil Suspension, Incubus 511 Rims, 33inch Mickey Thompson ATZ, Bestop HighRock Front (w/Stainless Grill Guard) and Rear Bumper, KC SlimLites, Custom "TJ" Tail Light Covers

When I Die, Bury me in my JEEP. 'Cause it's never been in a hole it couldn't get out of! : )
TJoshX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

An all season tire would be best for you, IMO.

There are also some good all season all terrain tires that are both. That covers you on road and your occasional off road.

There are many. The first that comes to mind is Kumho Road Venture SAT. Great price.

BFG Rugged Terrain is another. OK price.

Goodyear Silent Armor claims to be a great AT. I'd call it a great mix of AS and AT. Expensive.

Cooper AT3 is a full blooded AT, if you really want AT. It is the highest ranked AT by Consumer Reports and many off road magazines too. Good price.

Duratrac would NOT be a good choice for mostly highway. BFG AT would be OK for mostly highway, but there are better choices that cost less.
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
TJoshX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the response... I'm reading a lot of good things about the Cooper AT3 but I should have specified I am running 33x12.50x15s right now on my jeep.

It's a manual that I re-geared to 4.56's and I have a 2inch BDS suspension with a 1 inch BL and MML on it.

I'm don't think the AT3 comes bigger than a 31x10.50 which I am not sure would look right tucked under my Jeep or that my gearing is the best to run that size tire.

Any other input on a good looking road worthy tire out there that I can run in a 33x12.50 anyone?

Should I consider a 33x10.50? what are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

Josh

2002 Inline 6 TJ-X 4.0, D30/D35 w.4:56s
2inch BDS Full Coil Suspension, Incubus 511 Rims, 33inch Mickey Thompson ATZ, Bestop HighRock Front (w/Stainless Grill Guard) and Rear Bumper, KC SlimLites, Custom "TJ" Tail Light Covers

When I Die, Bury me in my JEEP. 'Cause it's never been in a hole it couldn't get out of! : )
TJoshX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry. The Cooper Discovery AT3 is not available in 33 x 12.5 R15.

There are other really good ATs for you though. There is a whole new generation of ATs coming out, and some really good classics available too.

Have a look at this thread to find a good alternative in a size you want.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/n...e-one-1527835/
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
BFG Rugged Terrain (mild)
Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO 2
Cooper Discoverer AT3
Cooper ST Maxx (aggressive)
Firestone Destination AT
General Grabber AT2 ("classic"/aggressive)
Goodyear Duratrac (aggressive)
Goodyear Silent Armor
Hankook Dynapro ATM
Kumho RoadVenture AT KL78
Kumho RoadVenture SAT KL61 (mild)

That's my short list of all-terrain tires in alphabetical order.

As someone who uses his Jeep as a daily driver but goes off road occasionally, I chose a milder AT tire (some consider it a highway/AT hybrid)--Kumho RV SAT. BFG Rugged Terrain is similar. If I went off road any less than I do now, I'd roll with a highway tire like Firestone Destination LE2.

If you never go offroad, get a P-size highway tire. Don't let Jeeper peer pressure force you to buy a tire that your type of driving doesn't need. Lots of people buy inappropriate tires just because of how they look or because of peer pressure from their chosen automotive niche. My tires aren't "cool" by Jeeper standards, but my XJ is functionally far better off (for my lifestyle and type of driving) than a cookie-cutter Jeep with BFG ATs, Duratracs, or KM2s.

There are often a lot of rebates floating around, and DiscountTireDirect.com is offering their own rebate in addition to many manufacturer rebates. DiscountTireDirect.com and Tirerack.com are fantastic places to buy tires, and they'll ship them straight to an installer for you. It's been many years and a couple cars since I've had a local tire shop beat either of these places' prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Firestone Destination LE2 would be my recommendation--it's a fantastic, if not the best, highway tire you can get, and the price is very affordable (rebate at Tirerack right now, too).

BFG Rugged Terrain TA is classified as a highway tire but manages a more aggressive look and is also a super great tire. Similarly, I'm using Kumho RoadVenture SATs right now (classified as an AT I believe, but like the BFG Rug Ter, they really flirt with the line tween highway and AT), and I love them. Both the BFGs and the Kumhos might be more aggressive than necessary if you NEVER EVER go offroad I do go offroad as a means to an end on occasion (usually relating to camping or mountain biking), so that's why I chose to give the Kumhos a try. Even for what I do, a highway tire would still be just fine, but I wanted to try a tire I had no experience with.

Michelins are highly rated, but they're severely overpriced--you can get equally good if not better tires for less.

JeepForum is populated by a lot of offroaders. Many who aren't offroaders still want to LOOK the part and think everyone else does too. No doubt someone will recommend an AT tire, and I have no doubt someone will tell you that BFG AT is the greatest tire and is perfect for you. It's neither the greatest nor perfect for you. You don't go offroad regularly if ever--you simply don't need an AT tire.

There are a lot of rebates around right now, and DiscountTireDirect.com and TireRack.com are both fantastic places to shop. Their prices are almost never beaten, and they'll ship directly to an installer for you at which point you'd just set an installation appointment with said installer.

Bottom Line:
  1. Firestone Destination LE2
  2. BFG Rugged Terrain T/A OR Kumho RoadVenture SAT KL61
  3. Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051 OR General Grabber HTS
I honestly struggled to pick a 4th/5th tire. To me, the first three are THE choices. There are many equally decent runners-up, but I chose the Yokos based on favorable reviews and having driven on them in a Subaru without disappointment; I chose the Generals because of favorable reviews and an overall trust that company has earned from me.
Despite rarely, if ever, going offroad, if you really want an AT tire for the look, BFG Rugged Terrain TA or Kumho RoadVenture SAT are my picks for you. If looks matter to you so much that either of those isn't enough, then nothing I recommend will really matter because you'll probably just be choosing a tire based on its looks alone.
Wheels wanted to buy:
4 or 5 Turbines, old XJ 5-slot,
KJ 17x7.5 6-spoke, or KJ 16x7 5-spoke alloy

Paying ~$50 per wheel--Classified ad HERE
Have 4 (oxidized) Lace and 5 Eccos for potential trade
Biologist
Dog trainer
Mountain biker
Gamer
Jeep owner
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

33 x 10.5 R15 would be great for you since your TJ is already lifted and geared for 33s. You need 15 x 8 wheels for 33 x 9.5 R15 tires. I assume you have 15 x 8 wheels.

So then the question becomes "Who makes good AT in 33 x10.5 R15?"

Firestone Destination AT

BFG AT

I think those are your only AT choices in 33 x 10.5 R15, but they are good choices. Of the two, I'd get the Firestone.

Both great tires. I think the Firestone might be the better tire on road. Not sure. Just a hunch based on reviews. Off road both are good, though their mud ability might be in doubt (like most ATs), but you aren't a mudder anyway.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.