Do you rotate your spare tire? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Do you rotate your spare tire?

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

View Poll Results: do you rotate your new spare tire?
Yes 16 84.21%
No 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Unread 04-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
4x4Jeep
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,225
Do you rotate your spare tire?

For those of you who have bought 5 new tires, do you rotate them in or leave it? I ask, because i heard it both ways, people said they don't because when it's time to buy new tires they only need 4.

__________________
Build - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/4x4jeeps-build-thread-1341031
Florida 4x4
4x4Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
mike_dippert
hodophobic
 
mike_dippert's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,086
I always rotate all my tires.
●A 5 tire rotation lasts 25% longer than a 4 tire rotation. 5 tires costs 25% more than 4 tires. $800 every 40k/4yr is the same as $1000 every 50k/5yr. Arguing cost is stupid.
●If you change patterns or sizes, you didn't waste money on the spare you never used.
●You never need to worry about using an old rotted spare.
●If you DO need your spare, the tread is always within 3k miles of your flat (I not convinced this matters).

IMO, it is a no-brainer. If you can't afford all 5 at once, just get 4 and save for the fifth before your next 3k rotation. If that's not possible, maybe Jeep ownership isn't for you.
__________________
You can't argue with ignorance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
4x4Jeep
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,225
personally when i bought my tires i planned on rotating in my spare that's why i bought 5 new tires. but recently i was reading opinions back and forth where people didn't for the reason i stated above. but i do agree with what you said. i just passed 3k miles since i put them on, have not rotated them yet, but will be doing it real soon.
__________________
Build - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/4x4jeeps-build-thread-1341031
Florida 4x4
4x4Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 2,178
When it's possible, I ALWAYS advocate a 5-tire rotation.

Sent from my phone
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
222Doc
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 4,833
i can not see why you would not? I mean you are saving the spar for? after 5 years even unused it is at the point of rot anyway? at least out here the AZ sun eats things up. on many of these newer heeps i would bet that if a tire is off like 1/2 inch it might think you are in a skid. got 5 rotate em all.
__________________
http://www.parker4wheelers.net
www.bullhead4wheelersinc.com
222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 2,178
It drives me crazy when I see mismatched spares on the back of 4x4's. A classic one these days is the fancy new JK on giant MT's (that probably never goes off-road, but that's a totally different issue) with a stock-sized highway tire on the back. FACEPALM

I have a set of 5 for 3 seasons, and they're all in rotation. I use my original set of 4 (since my XJ didn't come with a full-sized spare) for winter tires.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denton County, TX
Posts: 5,751
If I had a matching spare/wheel, I would for a reason not mentioned.

If you have 5 matching tires/wheels all with the same age/miles, and you damage a tire either by off-roading and a hiway road hazard, you have a ready to go match to put into service. Then buy something else used for a spare.

I have seen/read many times where people have been forced to buy or put into service a new tire to go with the other worn three, or buy a new set because the three they have remaining is not available, etc.

Like mentioned above, I have a F150 and Tahoe in the drive where the new spare rotted because of a rim that didn't match and could not be rotated in.
__________________
jhanna
denton county, tx
2jhanna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,729
I rotate the spare if it's the same size and type as the other 4 tires.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 12:38 AM   #9
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,729
BTW - I read somewhere that tires that aren't driven on crack and rot faster than tires that are driven on.

This because tires flex when driven and that (allegedly) works fresh protective oils, waxes, and UV protectants to the surface of the tread and sidewalls, which (allegedly) slows decay from ozone and UV.

So if that's true, driving on a tire delays decay/rot/cracks.

Even if that's not true, I guarantee an unused spare will eventually rot/crack and be wasted (regardless of the exact causes).

So if you don't rotate your spare in, it will eventually go to waste from cracks/rot, AND the other 4 tires tread will wear out 25% faster.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 12:42 AM   #10
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,729
The real question to me is this. Is it worth buying a 5th tire? I'm undecided. I guess it depends on your finances.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 04:59 AM   #11
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
The real question to me is this. Is it worth buying a 5th tire? I'm undecided. I guess it depends on your finances.
In the long run, it doesn't cost you any more because rotating it in makes your tire set last longer than it would if it was just 4 in rotation. If you don't have a matching spare to begin with, it's just a one-time extra cost to purchase it in the short-term. Like someone said earlier--if you can't afford to buy 5 at one time, buy 4 and just buy the 5th one sometime before your first rotation.
  • Makes your tire set last longer.
  • Guarantees you'll never have to use an underpressured or rotting spare.
  • Guarantees that you'll never have to use a spare that's too large or two small which is especially great if you find yourself needing 4wd.
  • The only additional long-term cost is the mounting/balancing of a 5th tire every X years.
  • For exterior-mounted spares, you won't look like a yuppie idiot poser with a tiny, mis-matched spare on the back/top of your rig.

Yeah: totally worth it.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,729
Buying a 5th tire doesn't cost more in long run, but it does in the short run.

When money is tight, the short run matters.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
.
●If you DO need your spare, the tread is always within 3k miles of your flat (I not convinced this matters).
It matters a lot on newer AWD vehicles and vehicles with a AWD selection(like a Jeep with the 242 t-case).

Company's that make AWD's have a 3/32" tread depth difference max spec between all the tires.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #14
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
It matters a lot on newer AWD vehicles and vehicles with a AWD selection(like a Jeep with the 242 t-case).

Company's that make AWD's have a 3/32" tread depth difference max spec between all the tires.
Yes, if the AWD isn't optional, it matters. I was thinking more of people who don't have to use any form of AWD if they don't want to and just taking for granted that people know never to used A/4wd with tires that are different sizes. My XJ is a 4x4 and came with a compact spare because it is assumed that if you need your spare, it is only for the emergency and only for as long as it takes you to get the flat repaired asap.

That's a distasteful situation which is why I snagged a set of 5 for 3 seasons. I use a set of 4 in the winter because my chosen winter tires are directional and not as friendly to an odd-numbered rotation as a non-directional tire is.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #15
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,729
Is a 242 tcase in Full Time 4wd really that sensitive to tread depth?
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.