Do heavier wheels cause problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Do heavier wheels cause problems?

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 07-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
IlikeTurtles

Do heavier wheels cause problems?

My wife got a '13 Sahara unlimited. It had the new 18" bright silver painted aluminum wheels. I thought they looked very nice. Anyway she wanted black wheels and found some V-rock Recon wheels. They look nice but damn, they are heavy. I didn't weigh them but I would guess they are 10 -15lbs heavier than each jeep wheel.

I know it is rotational weight and once they are spun up it will be probably be a negligible drag on fuel economy and brakes. Anything else that might be a problem? Four wheel drivetrain?

IlikeTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Some will tell you that the added weight increases the chance of breakage and will wear parts out more quickly but I have not seen anything to substantiate those claims.

I generally run the heavier steel wheels and have had no problems with accelerated wear on parts or breakage.
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Added weight DOES increase the chance of breakage and wear, but no wheel can be THAT much heavier for it to be a very significant increase. Here's some fun reading if you're the type of person that likes to know things--http://hpwizard.com/rotational-inertia.html
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
IlikeTurtles

Thanks guys. Jeep says these wheels retail for $600/ea. I think I'm going to ask 350/ea. they were only on about two weeks and are in excellent condition.
Is that too much for used wheels?

Last edited by IlikeTurtles; 07-06-2013 at 08:02 PM..
IlikeTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It matters for rotational mass (gas mileage, acceleration, braking) and for unsprung weight (ride quality).

The lighter the wheels and tires the better.

Aluminum is the way to go, IMO. Aluminum can be black (anodized or painted).

Also, a 16" wheel is signifigantly lighter than a 17" wheel.

A 15" wheel is signifigantly lighter than a 16" wheel.

A 7" wide wheel is signifigantly lighter than an 8" wide wheel.

A load C tire is signifigantly lighter than D or E.
C also ride much nicer. C are plenty tough enough for off road on a 1/4 ton Jeep.

AT are usually lighter than MT. AT have less rolling resistance than MT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.