JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/)
-   -   DIY Painted Wheels (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/diy-painted-wheels-1740418/)

Nabrasawd 10-30-2013 03:44 PM

DIY Painted Wheels

I decided awhile back to get a new set of wheels because I wasn't happy with the balance and ride with my AR Mojave's. I liked the style of the Mojave's but they didn't have a lip on the outside for balancing. I talked to my guys at the local discount tire because I was in there getting rebalanced once a month, and they showed me the MB 72 wheels.

The MB 72's use hub rings to make the wheels hubcentric and they could be balanced using the lips on the inside and outside. Unfortunately, the matte black was discontinued so I bought the silver chrome.

Prior to the purchase I found this link.....
Painted Ravines write-up: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/p...avines-257580/

It made my life easy and only took me a few hours, 1 can of primer, and 1 can of paint to get all 5 wheels done.

Nabrasawd 10-30-2013 03:50 PM

Here is what I used:

Dish Soap / Water
320 grit wet/dry sandpaper
Cleaner Degreaser Spray & T-shirt Clothes
1 - Duplicolor Self-Etching Primer
1 - Duplicolor Graphite Wheel Paint

The wheels were new so I quickly washed with soap and water, dried them, and then masked them off.
I left the outside ring silver like 35sUnlimited's Ravines. I liked the look, and the wheel weights would blend.

Masking the wheel was by far the toughest part, especially to make sure the tape was straight. After the first it was definitely easier.

2jhanna 10-30-2013 03:56 PM

I did my stock Canyons a few years ago. The clear coat was flaking and looked bad, I did a real "quicky" job and was surprised with how much better they looked. I since have a new set a tires and want to do again taking a little more time to prep.

Nabrasawd 10-30-2013 03:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the jeep before.

Nabrasawd 10-30-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2jhanna (Post 17298218)
I did my stock Canyons a few years ago. The clear coat was flaking and looked bad, I did a real "quicky" job and was surprised with how much better they looked. I since have a new set a tires and want to do again taking a little more time to prep.

Yeah, the prep is key. I took my time with it. I decided not to use a clear coat for now until I see how its gonna hold up. I can add the clear coat later if I want more shine.

Nabrasawd 10-30-2013 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the MB 72 15 x 8 that I used.

Nabrasawd 10-30-2013 05:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here they are taped and primed. I used 2 coats of primer, per the can's instructions. It definitely covered well.

Nabrasawd 10-30-2013 05:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After letting the primer dry, I painted the wheels. I used 3 coats of paint, with about 10 minutes between each coat. I removed the tape after a little over an hour. Here is how they turned out. I was pretty happy over all. I got them on the jeep today. I'll get those pics up later.

Nabrasawd 10-31-2013 07:52 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok, here is the final look. Its interesting how the wheel paint blends and almost matches the Light Khaki Metallic in the sunlight.
For anyone that wants to try this out, you should do it. It was a pretty easy mod. I really like having something you don't see everyday on the road.

musicbis 10-31-2013 09:09 AM

I like how your wheels turned out :2thumbsup:
Mine get enough rock rash that I just rattle caned mine satin black so I can touch them up when ever needed.

Chris

Nabrasawd 11-01-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicbis (Post 17317490)
I like how your wheels turned out :2thumbsup:
Mine get enough rock rash that I just rattle caned mine satin black so I can touch them up when ever needed.

Chris

Thanks!
That's the best way to do it. That's why I'm not using the clearcoat.

tw_jeep 11-02-2013 10:04 PM

Looks great!

Nabrasawd 11-13-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw_jeep
Looks great!

Thanks man!

aparke4 11-16-2013 12:09 PM

Moabs:

The time now is 10:52 AM.