Disadvantages to bigger tires?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Disadvantages to bigger tires??

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
chrisguags
2008 JK Wrangler 

Disadvantages to bigger tires??

I am currently running an automatic 2008 JK Sahara Wrangler with 2.5" Rough Country lift, 2" wheel spacers, and stock Sahara wheels/tires.

I want to get Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/70R18. Will I be okay with just going through with the regular procedure of buying new tires(mounting and balancing)? I have read up about a lot of talk that I should change the gear ratio (so expensive!) or should consider getting a superchip or something to change the computer settings for bigger tires.

Need some suggestions on what to do here...can I just put these tires on, balance them, and be okay?

What would be best? What would be cheapest?

Thank you!

Last edited by chrisguags; 12-10-2012 at 07:18 PM..
chrisguags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
WXman
2001 WJ 

Those tires are extremely heavy, and on 18" wheels you're going to destroy your fuel economy, acceleraton, braking, etc. It'll also be very hard on axle shafts, lug studs, u-joints, ball joints, transmission parts, etc. I'm not saying that you're going to have problems...but yes there are disadvantages to running big heavy tires like that.

Changing gear ratio will help. You also won't make those fit on the factory wheels so look into some different wheels too.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
chrisguags
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Those tires are extremely heavy, and on 18" wheels you're going to destroy your fuel economy, acceleraton, braking, etc. It'll also be very hard on axle shafts, lug studs, u-joints, ball joints, transmission parts, etc. I'm not saying that you're going to have problems...but yes there are disadvantages to running big heavy tires like that.

Changing gear ratio will help. You also won't make those fit on the factory wheels so look into some different wheels too.
I have 2" wheel spacers on as well, so they will work. Sorry I forgot to mention that.
chrisguags is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.