Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Did my shock blow a valve?

675 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  EricsXJ 
#1 ·
Hey guys - I just got back from wheelin and when we finished the trail I was connecting the discos back up and I saw a leak (thought it was power steering fluid) but it was coming from the shock. The oily fluid was on the inner fender and pretty much the entire shock casing was dripping wet.

-- Oh by the way its a Doetcsh Tech 3000 (hydrolic shock) --

So my questions are -

1) I figure the shock needs to be replaced, but it seemed fine for the freeway ride home. I have another trip to take in 6 days. Do I need to get another one before then, or can it hold off?

2) How did this happen? I can flex the suspension to full compression of the shock, but no visible outward damage to the shock can be seen (yet). Could this also be caused by the shock not being long enough and the shock limits the droop. (I have more down travel in the shock than uptravel, but can max them out either way *I think*)

Thanks in advance - I'll check back tomorrow after I get the jeep cleaned up and inspected for more damage.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would get the shock replaced ASAP, sure for the ride home. but be carefull. Shocks are not only for the ride quality, they are a safety item. Worn out shocks (or Blown) will cause longer stopping distances in a panic situation.
If your shocks are bottoming out before the bump stops do. I would extend the bump stops, so you have about 1" cushion before the shock actually bottoms out. Its possible you may have damaged the shock during compression. Or it just failed.

Replace it before your next trip. And by all means check for damage after each off-road outing.

#3 ·
After talking with Doetsch Tech I've got a new shock on the way from RE (where I bought mine from) Doetsch Tech will warranty it after inspection and I think its good for that. There is no visible damage and the shaft is clean and not scored (thats what they look at according to DT) Also after speaking to them I think there is a seal in there that blew. I asked DT if this was common but they wouldn't admit to anything ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.