Did Jeep make 16 x 7 wheels with 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Did Jeep make 16 x 7 wheels with 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Reply
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler
 
WhiteOut's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,177
The ZJ Timberline wheels should fit the bill.

WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #17
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberlake74 View Post
any idea what specific vehicles the "icon" wheel comes from
Some later XJs. Possibly some TJs?

I think some later ZJs.

I don't think any KJs because the KJ is ( I read somewhere) front wheel drive (when in 2wd) and always uses 16x7 with 5.5 BS because that is what is needed for its front wheel drive.

Ecco, Grizzly, Icon and other 15 x 7 and 16 x 7 wheels for rear wheel drive XJ, ZJ, TJ are always 5.25 BS, IMO. That's in regard to 7" wide wheels for those models of rear wheel drive Jeeps.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #18
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Some later XJs. Possibly some TJs?

I think some later ZJs.

I don't think any KJs because the KJ is ( I read somewhere) front wheel drive (when in 2wd) and always uses 16x7 with 5.5 BS because that is what is needed for its front wheel drive.

Ecco, Grizzly, Icon and other 15 x 7 and 16 x 7 wheels for rear wheel drive XJ, ZJ, TJ are always 5.25 BS, IMO. That's in regard to 7" wide wheels for those models of rear wheel drive Jeeps.
I can show you KJs that came stock with Icons (for example, look-up early Liberty Renegades; many of them had Icons). Can you show me TJs or ZJs that had them from the factory? It doesn't really matter anyway because YJ, TJ, XJ, ZJ, and KJ all have the same bolt patterns, so they can all share wheels easily.

Whatever you read somewhere was all kinds of wrong. KJs are RWD. MKs are the only FWD Jeeps. The KL (2014+ Cherokee) will also be [kinda] FWD.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #19
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I can show you KJs that came stock with Icons (for example, look-up early Liberty Renegades; many of them had Icons). Can you show me TJs or ZJs that had them from the factory? It doesn't really matter anyway because YJ, TJ, XJ, ZJ, and KJ all have the same bolt patterns, so they can all share wheels easily.

Whatever you read somewhere was all kinds of wrong. KJs are RWD. MKs are the only FWD Jeeps. The KL (2014+ Cherokee) will also be [kinda] FWD.
Maybe I got my alphabet soup mixed up. Which Jeep is a KJ? In plain English please.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #20
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I can show you KJs that came stock with Icons (for example, look-up early Liberty Renegades; many of them had Icons). Can you show me TJs or ZJs that had them from the factory? It doesn't really matter anyway because YJ, TJ, XJ, ZJ, and KJ all have the same bolt patterns, so they can all share wheels easily.

Whatever you read somewhere was all kinds of wrong. KJs are RWD. MKs are the only FWD Jeeps. The KL (2014+ Cherokee) will also be [kinda] FWD.
XJ = 84-01 Cherokee
ZJ = 93-98 Grand Cherokee
KJ = 02-07 Liberty
YJ = 87-95 Wrangler
TJ = 97-06 Wrangler
MK = Compass and Patriot
KL = 14+ Cherokee
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #21
timberlake74
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Aliquippa, PA
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Later XJs and some early KJs.
so an xj would be a cherokee and a wj is? im not to up on all the body styles and do you have an idea on the years never mind just saw all the follow up on in the question thanks guys that can help in the junk yard crawl
timberlake74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #22
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,852
Huh. I don't know much about Liberty. I had read their wheels are always 16 x 7 with 5.5 BS.

While shopping for stock 16 x7 with 5.25 BS, it appeared to me that Liberty wheels are indeed 5.5 BS.

---

In any case, Icon wheels are 16 x 7 with 5.25 BS. I'm interested in all stock wheels with those specs specifically.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #23
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,852
Here are Liberty wheels called Renegade that look like Icon wheels. Like all other Liberty wheels I've seen, they are 16 x7 with 5.5 BS.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f125/...heels-1513116/

Is it possible that you saw these Liberty wheels and thought they are Icons?

Icons are (as I'm sure you know) 16 x 7 with 5.25 BS.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #24
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Here are Liberty wheels called Renegade that look like Icon wheels. Like all other Liberty wheels I've seen, they are 16 x7 with 5.5 BS.
Those ARE Icons. The seller calls them Renegade wheels because they're FROM a Liberty Renegade--much like how Moabs are often referred to as Rubicon wheels because they came on Wrangler Rubicons. The ad makes no mention of the backspacing, so why do you think they're 5.5?

Anyway, why is 0.25" backspacing such a big deal for you? I've seen guys mount KJ wheels that have 5.5 BS on XJs without spacers just fine. If you're really set on that exact size, you're stuck with Icons and ZJ 16" wheels. 5" or 4.75" BS, since that what you said you want in your OP, will have to be achieved with either aftermarket wheels or with spacers.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #25
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,852
I'm not saying you're wrong, but here's my explanation.

I saw "Renegade" wheels for sale at a website that sells new OEM and OER (OE Replacement) wheels. They said 5.5 BS.

They also had Icon wheels for sale and said 5.25 BS.

I may want to run 31 x 9.5 R 15 (245) tires on Icon wheels in future. It'd be a tight fit between tires and LCAs, but I think possible with round LCAs.

Edited in Later: It's the stock swaybar that might rub tires, not the stock LCAs.

I will install a Currie Anti-Rock swaybar in future to improve ride quality and flex, and it will also improve tire clearance during turns.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #26
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 2,255
Well, a nice set of hub-centric spacers could be another way for you to work it out. It's also possible to adjust the steering a bit to stop it sooner; you lose a little turn radius, but might eliminate the risk of rubbing a LCA.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #27
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,852
I have learned that it's the stock front sway bar that larger tires (on stock wheels) might rub. It's not the LCAs that tires might rub.

What I need to do is install a Currie Anti-Rock front sway bar because it has more tire clearance, better ride quality on an off road, and more articulation.

Problem solved.

Then I'll have no problems running 31 X 9.5 R16 (245/75R16) tires on stock Icon 16 x 7 with 5.25 BS and full turning radius with no rubs on sway bar or LCAs.

Probably the same deal with 31 X 10.5 R15 on stock 15 x 8 with 5.5 BS and full turning radius with no rubs on sway bar or LCAs.

Either of those tires on stock wheels (with low lift and no bump stop extension) might, or might not, rub stock flares during sharp turns while articulating. If it did rub, then I'd get Notch flares, which look stock (but larger), are paint-able. (Notch flares clear 31 X 10.5 on stock XJ)

---

In addition, I'd also install round LCAs because that does increase LCA clearance a bit, and I will get excellent Duraflex rubber joints that increase flex as much as a JJ and ride softer than stock rubber bushings. Once the sway bar is out of the way (stock SB replaced by AR), the next things that could rub are LCAs. I will not adjust steer stops because I want full turning radius. I'm thinking Metalcloak LCAs with Duraflex bushings.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #28
habbyguy
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I think Ecco and Grizzly are 15 x 7 with 5.25 BS.
The Grizzly wheels are 15x7, but the confusion comes in because there are TWO types of Canyon rims (I have a set of each).

The Canyon rims from the ZJ ('93-98 Grand Cherokee) are 15x7, and have a slightly darker gray paint on the slots. The Canyon rims from the Wranglers (not sure which years offhand) are 15x8, and are a little lighter (color-wise). I believe both have 5.25" backspacing.

They both fit well on a Cherokee.

If it helps, here are some photos of the Grizzly rims I used to have on my XJ (same dimensions as the ZJ Canyons), before and after adding 1.25" spacers. The last photo is with a set of Wrangler Canyons, with the spacers still in place. Hope this gives some others a visual reference for how these wheels fit. Note: the tires in the photos are all 31x10.5x15's.
before1.jpg   before2.jpg   1.25-spacers.jpg   after1.jpg   after2.jpg  

after.jpg  
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #29
silvanus
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Swanton,Vt.
Posts: 220
KJ winter wheels they're steel, a lot cheaper than the Icon and are 16x7, same as WJ, but 5on4.5 bolt pattern!
silvanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #30
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvanus View Post
KJ winter wheels they're steel, a lot cheaper than the Icon and are 16x7, same as WJ, but 5on4.5 bolt pattern!
Good to know, but I prefer aluminum wheels (Icon) because they look better and IMO give better gas mileage than steel wheels.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.