Dick cepek crushers vs. bfg km2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Dick cepek crushers vs. bfg km2

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 04-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
lukes_ranger

Dick cepek crushers vs. bfg km2

Which one last the longest?

lukes_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

KM2's.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ Boot Camp[/URL]
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
lukes_ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyBayXJ
KM2's.
How long did they last for you?
Unread 04-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukes_ranger View Post
How long did they last for you?
I haven't had them. But BFG is on of the longest-lasting tires around. You commonly hear of people getting 40-50K miles out of KM2's.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ Boot Camp[/URL]
Unread 04-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyBayXJ View Post
I haven't had them. But BFG is on of the longest-lasting tires around. You commonly hear of people getting 40-50K miles out of KM2's.

You should actually run a set before you spread these claims. BFG's are also at the top of the list of most over rated tires. You commonly hear people that have never even ran them claim that they are the best tire around and you'll get 50K miles out of them.

I have ran them and I was not imressed with the milage or their performance off road. The Xterrains before them and the Mud Grapplers after them both got/will get better milage than I did out of the KM2.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I sold my KM2s after running them for about 2.5 years. Probably had around 25,000 miles on them and they were around 50% tread.
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
You should actually run a set before you spread these claims. BFG's are also at the top of the list of most over rated tires. You commonly hear people that have never even ran them claim that they are the best tire around and you'll get 50K miles out of them.

I have ran them and I was not imressed with the milage or their performance off road. The Xterrains before them and the Mud Grapplers after them both got/will get better milage than I did out of the KM2.
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and keep "spreading these claims," if you don't mind. I should have been a little more thorough in my first post. I'm a part-time auto tech at Sears, and see lots of KM2's coming through the doors. Full-size trucks usually see around 40K miles, light trucks and Jeeps usually see about 50K.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and keep "spreading these claims," if you don't mind. I should have been a little more thorough in my first post. I'm a part-time auto tech at Sears, and see lots of KM2's coming through the doors. Full-size trucks usually see around 40K miles, light trucks and Jeeps usually see about 50K.
So part of the time you have people make these claims to you in person instead of reading them online. You still havn't ran a set to see what you would ACTUALLY get out of them.

In the real world, I had about 11k miles on the set of 35" KM2's I ran on my fullsize truck. They had 8/32" and 9/32" tread remaining when I got rid of them. Thats LESS than 1/2 tread. They where rotated every 3k-4k miles and where not abused. They would have been bald by 20K -23k miles. Thats only half of what you claim I should have gotten out of them.

If your claim of 40K miles is accurate and not exagerated, I would have been happy to see 30K miles out of my set. That still wasn't the case tough. I was only at 1/4 of your milage claim and the tires where at less than 1/2 tread.....

It was the overrated claims and reviews like yours that talked me into the set of tires I regretted most.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have no overrated claims or reviews, because my claims are nothing but factual evidence. You can continue to cling to the argument that I've never ran a set, because I've admitted that is true. However, paper trails and records don't lie when a custom buys a brand new set of tires and then routinely comes in to have them rotated. The mileage gets recorded each time the tires are rotated, and approximately 40K miles have been common for the life of these tires.
Even customers without the records admit to mileage wear claims that coincide with other customers records. So, either there's a massive dealership and customer-wide conspiracy theory covering up the short lifespan of KM2's, or they actually last the claimed mileage. OP, you make the decision, I'm out.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have no overrated claims or reviews, because my claims are nothing but factual evidence. You can continue to cling to the argument that I've never ran a set, because I've admitted that is true. However, paper trails and records don't lie when a custom buys a brand new set of tires and then routinely comes in to have them rotated. The mileage gets recorded each time the tires are rotated, and approximately 40K miles have been common for the life of these tires.
Even customers without the records admit to mileage wear claims that coincide with other customers records. So, either there's a massive dealership and customer-wide conspiracy theory covering up the short lifespan of KM2's, or they actually last the claimed mileage. OP, you make the decision, I'm out.
I saw alot of claims like yours before I bought my KM2's. I felt good about buying them at the time I purchased them. I was quickly dissappointed though.

The difference in your claims and the claims and reviews of someone that has actually ran a set of KM2 tires....

Was the mileage you got out of your KM2's worth the sacrifices (if any) in other areas?
How did you like the KM2's performance offroad?
Did you haul and tow much with them when you ran them on your fullsize truck?
What kind of driving and conditions was typical when you got 40k miles out of your KM2's on your Fullsize tuck?
Where you happy with them overall?
How many other MT/offroad style tires have you ran on the same vehicle as the KM2's?
How do the KM2's compare to the other tires you ran on the same vehicle as the KM2's?

You can't answer any of those questions.

The mileage I was going to get out of them isn't even my biggest complaint. The wear was average/typical for a radial MT on an equivilant truck. Even if I would have gotten the mileage you claim I should have, I would not have been able to handle the KM2's lack of performance offroad. They did not clean out, did not dig, had absolutly no lateral traction, and were nearly helpless when they came into contact with water. This was a common sight...

Yes, I am very dissappointed in spending my hard earned money on a set of BFG KM2's. I did not get any where near the performance that is claimed.

I will give them credit where it is due though... The were quiet, ballanced well, and road nice and smooth down the road.

No, I will not buy another set and will never recomend them to anyone.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 04-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did these people who say or even on the clock, Get their speedo corrected? I too deal with tires alot and 8/10 people dont have a clue that they need to calibrate. Only people that really change the speedo, Is jeepers. Most if not all come in with a 265 and leave with a 285 or 315.

BFG km/ko is the most over rated tire with lack of traction except on dry streets. The only tire they make thats worth the time, Is the krawler kx, And is far from the knock off look the km2 was going for.

As for the DC crushers, They see about 45k with 3k rotation and balancing when needed. They are loud and have lug slap like a *****, But get the job done on or off road.
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I ran a set of 33 km2s on my TJ. They lasted about 2 years and around 20-25k miles. They saw about 95% highway in that time. I ran them through the sand dunes of southern California, the high desert up here in Idaho, mud, rocks, woods, etc. Just like Slade said, they weren't very good in mud/sand. They didn't dig or clean out, no matter what psi I ran at. They seemed pretty good on the rocks, unless they got wet...

I've also run Cooper STTs, some cheap MTs (can't remember the brand), and toyo's.

As far as vs. the crusher? I'll let you know. My crusher's are on their way and should arrive by Monday, so I'll have a chance to test them out next week. Obviously I won't be able to speak about their longevity for a while. I wanted to try something different and I got a good deal on them so I figured why not.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #13
lukes_ranger

Thanks I'm eager to hear about those crushers.
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:21 AM   #14
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukes_ranger View Post
Thanks I'm eager to hear about those crushers.
So after running the crushers for a few weeks I have nothing but great things to say about them. They are much, much quieter on the road than I expected. So far I have tested them in deep sand, shallow dust, hard dirt, firm and soupy mud, and rocks. They hook up and grab insanely great. They clean out awesomely and at about 10psi have a good amount of sidewall flex. I'm absolutely in love with them at this point. I get compliments on their looks constantly. At this point I would recommend them with no hesitation.

We'll see if anything changes as they wear out, but so far they're an awesome tire that can easily hang wig the more common and well reputed brands. I'm honestly surprised to have not seen more of them around considering how well they seem to be working.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:19 AM   #15
Green_Monster
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've run 2 sets of KM2's so far. The stock 32's I got about 60K out of. I have 35's on now and I'm at about 64K miles. They won't pass inspection in August. I drive 90-95% highway. I've had NO issues with them. I keep them proerly inflated (I use the chalk test to make sure its right for my rig) and I rotate them every 6K miles.
3.5in RE lift (+ 3/4" spacers in front), Bilstein 5100's, 35in Wrangler Duratracs on TIS 535 Wheels, 5.13 Yukon gears with Solid diff Covers, Warn Front Bumper with 7" Warn HID's and a 8500lb winch, OF Fab Swing Away Tire/Gerry Can Carrier, Line-X'd tub
Green_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.