Deciding on new wheels and tires for 06 LJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
patfons

Deciding on new wheels and tires for 06 LJ

img_20170216_151220.jpg

Hey guys I've been looking at wheels and tires for quite a while now. I think I've decided on the BF Goodrich All-terrain ko2 in either 33x12.5 or 35x12.5. My problem now is wheel size. I'm not sure if I should go with 15" or 17" rims, I know the pro of the 15" is more sidewall (not to mention the tire is almost $75 cheaper) so I'm leaning towards the 15". Which is recommended for 35" and under and what width?
Also I only have a 1 and 1/4" body lift and a 1" spring lift, can I fit the 35s under there or should I just go with 33s? (I'm taking the stock fenders out and putting in poison spyder fenders)

Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-21-2017, 06:29 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

IMO that's not even enough lift to run 33s well. 35s shouldn't even be a consideration.

Romney in 2020!
post #3 of 9 Old 03-21-2017, 09:03 AM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
gears will be a issue as well.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-21-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
patfons

I can definitely fit 33s, I had my lil bros on there but they rubbed on the trail that's why I'm taking fenders off. Gearing was my next question. I have a high pinion dana 30 in front and 44 in back. I'll get the current gears posted on here later today

post #5 of 9 Old 03-21-2017, 10:29 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfons View Post
I can definitely fit 33s, I had my lil bros on there but they rubbed on the trail that's why I'm taking fenders off. Gearing was my next question. I have a high pinion dana 30 in front and 44 in back. I'll get the current gears posted on here later today

Which PS fenders are buying? The regular Defenders or the highlines? Unless you are going to the highlines (which require hood work) you really aren't changing much other than appearance.

1" of SL and 1.25" of BL may allow you to mount 33s but you will have to extend your bumpstops so much that you're going to have materially less uptravel than OEM. Not many of us around here are willing to give that up. In fact, we do a lot of work and spend a lot of money to try to improve travel.

As to gearing, we can't answer that question without knowing what transmission you have. If you complete your profile that will help everyone understand what you are working with and be much better able to answer questions.

Romney in 2020!
post #6 of 9 Old 03-21-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
patfons

Okay, so I have the 6 speed manual NSG 370, I believe it has 3.73 gears. Wasn't too worried about cutting my fenders but maybe I'll go for the 3.5" lift before the PS fenders since they cost around the same.

post #7 of 9 Old 03-26-2017, 06:56 AM
Bill123
2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patfons View Post
Okay, so I have the 6 speed manual NSG 370, I believe it has 3.73 gears. Wasn't too worried about cutting my fenders but maybe I'll go for the 3.5" lift before the PS fenders since they cost around the same.

If you go with a 3.5" lift, then you will need to get into alot of other things, to include your driveline angles, and possibly longer driveshafts. That high of a lift can really start to get expensive. Stick with a solid 2 - 2.5 lift and 33's and you'll be glad you did.

2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2.5" Teraflex Lift
305/70-17 Toyo Open Country AT2
Fuel Lethal Wheels
post #8 of 9 Old 04-01-2017, 08:14 AM
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with Bill123. There will be a lot of things to change with a lift over 2.5. Sure you can get more tire clearance, but then with 35s you start needing to change gears. As to gears, you have an advantage with the NSG 370 6 speed, it has a large range of ratios and a lower 1st gear (4.46). You will need that with 33s and more so with 35s for street driving and even more so when off road. If you stay with the 3.73 and have 33 tires, your power curve, or lack of power will be an issue driving high way speeds epically on hills or into a strong wind; that gets worse if you jump up to 35. (BTW, if you had an auto tran, your hwy performance would be a disaster). The other thing not discussed is the weakness of the Dana 30. It's strength will be taxed with 33 tires, and 35s would likely lead to axle damage if you craw at all.

For long range plans, stay with 33s, and start thinking about a Dana 44. For gears, (considering the NSG 370, NV231TC (2.71ratio)), a 33s will need at least 4.11 gears and you will find yourself lacking. For 35s, at least 4.56 and again you will run out of power plus considerable stress on your axle if you stay with the Dana30. IMO, I would do 4.56 with 33 or 4.88 with 35. (BTW, I teach an Off Road Class at our Local Community College.)

And finally, tire type, I am ever so partial to BFG KM2 (15in), great side walls, fairly quite on pavement, affordable.... I put mine threw hell, never had a flat, now on my 3rd set. ......Dif
post #9 of 9 Old 04-01-2017, 08:39 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ogun View Post
I agree with Bill123. There will be a lot of things to change with a lift over 2.5. Sure you can get more tire clearance, but then with 35s you start needing to change gears. As to gears, you have an advantage with the NSG 370 6 speed, it has a large range of ratios and a lower 1st gear (4.46). You will need that with 33s and more so with 35s for street driving and even more so when off road. If you stay with the 3.73 and have 33 tires, your power curve, or lack of power will be an issue driving high way speeds epically on hills or into a strong wind; that gets worse if you jump up to 35. (BTW, if you had an auto tran, your hwy performance would be a disaster). The other thing not discussed is the weakness of the Dana 30. It's strength will be taxed with 33 tires, and 35s would likely lead to axle damage if you craw at all.

For long range plans, stay with 33s, and start thinking about a Dana 44. For gears, (considering the NSG 370, NV231TC (2.71ratio)), a 33s will need at least 4.11 gears and you will find yourself lacking. For 35s, at least 4.56 and again you will run out of power plus considerable stress on your axle if you stay with the Dana30. IMO, I would do 4.56 with 33 or 4.88 with 35. (BTW, I teach an Off Road Class at our Local Community College.)

And finally, tire type, I am ever so partial to BFG KM2 (15in), great side walls, fairly quite on pavement, affordable.... I put mine threw hell, never had a flat, now on my 3rd set. ......Dif
I disagree very much as to the D30 being an issue at 33s or even 35s. A nice set of alloy axle shafts is a good idea, but once you do that there are lot more important things in the front end to worry about for tires that size (e.g. brakes, steering).

I don't think OP has told us what rear axle the jeep has (and profile hasn't been completed). I'd be much more concerned about a D35 there, if it doesn't already have a D44, than the D30 front.

And since they were mentioned, I think KM2's are one of the overrated tires on the planet.

Romney in 2020!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.