Decent Tires Ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Decent Tires Ideas?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
Tovino11B
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Decent Tires Ideas?

Hey guys.

I'm in need of replacing my tires pretty soon. I wish I could get another pair of good mud tires, but my new job requires me to drive about 45 minutes each way to get there.
Any ideas on a good pair of shoes for my old girl? I'd like something that's decent on gas mileage and won't wear down too quick on the highway, but also gives me the confidence I won't lose traction on trails and in mud. Well, as much traction I can get anyways. Thanks!

-Nick

Unread 08-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Throw snow traction in there and you really will be asking for everything in one tire. You're going to have to prioritize and compromise because you're not really going to get all of that in one tire. Where/when/how often do you drive? Where/when/how often do you go off-road and what is the nature of that terrain? What are your priorities? What are you willing to compromise on?

Sent from my phone
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I ran BFG ATs for years and cursed how long they lasted on my YJ. 90% of my mileage was highway. I never got stuck with them either.
Unread 08-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Tovino11B
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys.
Snow traction is a must since I'm up in Minnesota. But most of what I leave the blacktop for is rocky trails and such, but a lot turns into mud since I'm close to rivers and lakes.
Unread 08-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Tovino11B
1998 TJ Wrangler 

And I don't go offroad as much as I'd like to anymore sadly... It's starting to turn into an every other weekend thing now.
Unread 08-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I suggest you just get a set of winter tires for the winter. You'll be much safer in winter, and you won't wear-down your other tires during a season when they're not as safe to drive on and you're not wheeling much if at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
(Context: I've lived most of my life in southeastern Wisconsin. I drive regularly in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and northeastern Illinois winters. I drive about 12-15k miles per year, and that's just in my XJ; that's not counting the hundreds of miles per day I usually drive as part of my job in company vehicles in the Chicago/Chicagoland/Northern IL/Southern WI areas.)

WINTER tires (I hate it when people call them snow tires) are significantly better than other tires anytime the temperature is below 45 deg F. The snowflake symbol is a bureaucratic joke that is no where even close to a substitute for winter tires. M+S rating is even more of a joke as that "rating" isn't regulated by anything resembling real standards other than a manufacturer's desire to put it on a tire or not. While "all terrain" sounds like it means the tire is good for everything, AT's are actually a whopping bundle of compromises--they are jacks of most trades and masters of none; AT's are no substitute for good street tires on the street, no substitute for good MT's off road, and no substitute for winter tires below 45 deg F.

The ONLY reason not to have a set of winter tires is the lack of storage space for a second set of tires. Winter tires cost an extra $400+ (probably more like $800+ for someone with 20" wheels) up front which I think is reasonable to expect any Jeep owner to be able to save-up in a year, but that's it other than a meager amount of $ to get a set of cheap wheels to mount them on--they never again affect your tire budget at all. Why not? Because your tires will still all last just as long (mileage) as they would have before, so you're still paying the same $/mile on rubber as you would have without winters. When you're putting miles on one set, you're not putting miles on the other set, so they last longer time-wise. It's not even any extra work to do the swapping each year since you should be rotating your tires regularly anyway--just swap them at a time you'd already have all your wheels off for a rotation.

So they don't cost you anything extra in the long term, aren't any extra work, and they make you significantly safer during winter. If you have to space to store 4 tires, why not use them? I'll never understand. Is it a pride thing? Because they're not aggressive-looking, is it just considered too "dorky?" Is it laziness? Is it irrational loyalty to AT tires and denial about their limitations?
Spring-fall, if you want great mud traction, you'll sacrifice comfort, handling, and MPG on the road. The closest recommendations I can throw my support behind would be General AT2, Hercules AT2, Cooper AT3, Goodyear Duratrac, Cooper STT, Hankook MT. There are other fine choices, but those are my top picks for someone looking for one tire to do all the things you want to do (minus the snow--no reason not to use winter tires imo). If you utterly insist on using one tire to do everything year-round, Duratracs are probably your best bet. The Generals or the Hercs would do decently in winter as well.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
Tovino11B
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I'll take that into consideration.
Not that I only want one set of tires, it's just turning into money saving time for me now haha
Unread 08-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with mschi772.

Winter tires are the best bet for winter.
And ATs or MTs for the other 3 seasons.

Every year if I change over AFTER the first snowfall the difference is dramatic.
Unread 08-13-2014, 05:18 AM   #9
WXman
2001 WJ 

Well, he didn't ask about winter and said nothing about snow. But...since he's up north then obviously that's a consideration. Everybody knows that winter tires are great for winter. But they suck the rest of the year because they are soft and wear quickly. I'd use the Cooper AT3 because it's an excellent compromise that handles snow with ease and lasts forever on the road, while still digging in the mud and doing well in the rain. It's a do everything tire with all the latest technology. But since I never use winter tires I can't offer an opinion on those.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
Kman09JGC

255/65/17 General Grabber AT2's on my 09 4.7. Great all year round especially in the snow.
Black WK Club #107
Kman09JGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm almost afraid to give advice when the requests are impossible, but I'll try.

Your 3 best options are (IMO) Duratrac, General Grabber AT2, or Cooper AT3.

The GGAT3 probably best all around for what you want, but the CAT3 would get better gas, mileage and is the quietest.

The CAT3 is surprisingly good in mud, IME.
I don't know how the CAT3 is on rocks, but others have reported good things.
The CAT3 is slick on ice, IME.

Duratrac is good for everything you want, except I doubt it's good for gas mileage and I don't think it'd be as good on road. It'd probably be best in mud.

I don't know how Duratrac or GGAT2 are on ice. I suspect GGAT2 would be best of these 3 on ice.

The GGAT2 does all you want, but not quite as good in mud as CAT3 in mud. On highway the GGAT2 is the medium choice between CCAT3 & Duratrac.

I have personally owned BFG AT, GGAT2, & CAT3.

BFG AT are miserably poor for mud, but good at all else, IME.
Unread 08-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman09JGC View Post
255/65/17 General Grabber AT2's on my 09 4.7. Great all year round especially in the snow.
How are they on ice?
Unread 08-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #13
Kman09JGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post

How are they on ice?
Good! With the bad winter last year here in N.E Ohio I had zero problems. I have 10K on them with hardly any wear and never even had to put air in them once. For an at tire they are pretty good.
Black WK Club #107
Kman09JGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #14
jfive
dos heeps

2011 JK Wrangler 

I would do a Toyo AT. I talked to a guy at the next pump pulling a trailer with his 2500 who was over 50k on his set. He said they rode quiet and wore great. I've had the MT which was awesome. The AT should give you a nice ride.
'88 YJ
jfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 09:08 PM   #15
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman09JGC View Post
Good! With the bad winter last year here in N.E Ohio I had zero problems. I have 10K on them with hardly any wear and never even had to put air in them once. For an at tire they are pretty good.
They're great except for a rough ride, but that's a side effect of the super/thick tough sidewalls.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.