Daily Driver Tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Daily Driver Tires

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Reply
Unread 04-26-2004, 02:38 PM   #1
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line
 
DestructoJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tulsa OK/Norman OK
Posts: 1,326
Daily Driver Tires

Hey I was wondering if anyone had suggestions about some good tires for me I can fit up to 33x12.5 inch tires and Im running the Interco Trxus MT's right now which are good for rocks but they seem to get a little slick in some mud I was thinking about switching to the Thornbird next but was wondering about mileage.....not at all concerned about noise heck the louder the better right? Here is the catch this is my daily driver and if I had the money would run the boggers but I am a poor college student without a lot of cash so if anyone knows of good tires through trail and trial let me know thanks

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandRover
3rd graders? Any self-respecting high school teacher could punt them like footballs. :laugh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marneaus
10 because you're awesomely conservative and bash all the liberals. hoorah!
www.offroadoverstock.com

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--
DestructoJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2004, 03:58 PM   #2
skylinerider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 362
Stay away from the thornbirds!!!! I can't tell you how many times my friend got stuck with them. They suck all around. If you want a good MT type tire, go with BFG MT's. I have had an excellent experience with them. I had MTR's and while great for rocks, they weren't good in mud.
__________________
skylineriderô

SKYLINERIDER.NET

If you can't taste the sarcasm try licking the screen.
skylinerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2004, 04:07 PM   #3
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line
 
DestructoJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tulsa OK/Norman OK
Posts: 1,326
Hey thanks for the advice
DestructoJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2004, 05:01 PM   #4
gonzo
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: IL
Posts: 497
i'm lifting mine and it'll still be driven on road alot,so i'm thinking of going with pirelli scorpion AT's-the bfg at's on now are ok- seem kinda slippery in mud-but great in the snow- i think the scorpions own them....but they're over a hundred a piece most places.
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2004, 06:22 AM   #5
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger
 
MSHarnett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nazareth, PA
Posts: 8,576
I second the BFG MTs. I've had mine for quite some time now and they still look great. They are pretty good in the snow, ok on wet roads and they aren't too loud. Off road they are great.

The ATs are also ok, but for some reason I got bad milage with those. I swear by my MTs. Also may want to consider Goodyear MT/Rs or Kumho MTs.
__________________
Matt
MSHarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2004, 01:47 PM   #6
BeatAChevy289
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 653
The Pro-Comp MT's have just about the same tread pattern as the BFG's and cost a little less in most places. Had a set of the 33's and they ride really smooth and dig very well. Sold them with about 20,000 miles on them and they BARELY showed any wear. This was on another YJ I was helping build and we upgraded to the 35" Pro-Comps. Great tires. Later <><
__________________
1995 Firebird Formula, 6-speed, LT1 V8, t-tops, open exhaust. **In the For Sale section***
1966 Ford Mustang, Hi-Po 289 V8, 4:11's, I dare you to race me.
<><
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/id/blackyj95]Cardomain Site[/URL] (different from the other link)
BeatAChevy289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2004, 09:29 AM   #7
nateCurtis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 4
Hey guys,
My TJ is my daily driver, but also gets some off-road use as well. Up until this point, I've had the factory tires, but am looking to replace them. I was looking at the Mickey Baja Claw. Any idea how long I can expect those to last on-road? Any other suggestions? Thanks...

Nate
nateCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2004, 11:15 AM   #8
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger
 
MSHarnett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nazareth, PA
Posts: 8,576
Baja Claws are really cool and all, but my friend has a set and they aren't so nice on road. If I remeber correctly they are bias ply, which means they get flat spots and tend to thump on road pretty bad. If you want a tire that ride decent on road you should get a radial. Plus those claws don't last long at all.
__________________
Matt
MSHarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2004, 11:25 AM   #9
nateCurtis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHarnett
Baja Claws are really cool and all, but my friend has a set and they aren't so nice on road. If I remeber correctly they are bias ply, which means they get flat spots and tend to thump on road pretty bad. If you want a tire that ride decent on road you should get a radial. Plus those claws don't last long at all.
Thanks man, I appreciate the help. I know there is a radial version of the baja claw, but do you have any other suggestions?
nateCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2004, 11:33 AM   #10
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger
 
MSHarnett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nazareth, PA
Posts: 8,576
Oh yeah your right, there is a radial Claw. Well you can do that, but again, they will wear pretty fast, and for the money it isn't worth it IMO. They are also really loud, but I think thats kind cool

Again I'd have to say BFG Muds. They last a long time, they aren't too loud, and they are great on the trail as well as on road. They don't cost that much, but if you want something a little cheaper than get the Kumho MT.

You could also go with Interco tires. The Super Swamper TSL radial is very popular on off road vehicles. But they are pretty priceyt and don't last that long either.
__________________
Matt
MSHarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2004, 12:58 PM   #11
nateCurtis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHarnett
Oh yeah your right, there is a radial Claw. Well you can do that, but again, they will wear pretty fast, and for the money it isn't worth it IMO. They are also really loud, but I think thats kind cool

Again I'd have to say BFG Muds. They last a long time, they aren't too loud, and they are great on the trail as well as on road. They don't cost that much, but if you want something a little cheaper than get the Kumho MT.

You could also go with Interco tires. The Super Swamper TSL radial is very popular on off road vehicles. But they are pretty priceyt and don't last that long either.
thanks for the help - i let you know how it goes.

also, anyone in DC metro know about a shop called Trick Trucks? Is the staff knowledgeable? Prices good? Service high quality? etc?
nateCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2004, 03:36 PM   #12
94YJ_FL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinerider
Stay away from the thornbirds!!!!

I second, third and fourth that!

I switched to TRXUS from GY MT/R's and have driven my Dad's with the BFG's. IMHO, you will be disappointed switching from the TRXUS', to either of them... My MT/R's were "ok" but not great in the mud, like the BFG's on my Dad's. The problem I had mainly with BFG's were the wet traction on the pavement.

Pro-Comps... I know nothing about. Sorry.

Just my .02 opinion though, see if you can hit up a local club and see some in action would be my best suggestion. Good luck.
__________________
'94YJ - 350 Vortec - SM465 - 4:1 D300 - D60/14B - 102" WB - 42 Iroks
94YJ_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2004, 07:07 AM   #13
BeatAChevy289
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 653
Still Thinking Pro-Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateCurtis
thanks for the help - i let you know how it goes.

also, anyone in DC metro know about a shop called Trick Trucks? Is the staff knowledgeable? Prices good? Service high quality? etc?
Even the radial Baja Claws shake you to death at low speeds. They look sweet and all like he said, but they wear REALLY fast and don't bite down on terrain the best. I'm still all for the Pro-Comps. According to Southern Offroad Specialists down here in GA, most of the guys that pay them to lift up their trucks and Jeeps want to SSR's or TSL's but bring their vehicles back within a week because of the horrid ride and then they always tell them to go with the Pro-Comps. The mud terrain Pro-Comps actually wear more slowly than their all terrains which I find very impressive. They've never had a truck brought back with the Pro-Comps complaining about ride or bad offroad capability. Thats provbably all im ever going to run from now on. Stick them up next o a BFG and check the tread pattern and structure, they are almost identical and don't cost as much. Later <><
__________________
1995 Firebird Formula, 6-speed, LT1 V8, t-tops, open exhaust. **In the For Sale section***
1966 Ford Mustang, Hi-Po 289 V8, 4:11's, I dare you to race me.
<><
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/id/blackyj95]Cardomain Site[/URL] (different from the other link)
BeatAChevy289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2004, 10:31 AM   #14
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger
 
MSHarnett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nazareth, PA
Posts: 8,576
The ProComp muds are about the same as far as tread pattern, but the price is so close I'd rather take BFGs. The side walls have a little more bite and BFGs are bigger. A 31X10 pro comp only measures to 30.2 were as a BFG 31X10.50 measures at 30.8. Your getting that extra rubber that you pay for.
__________________
Matt
MSHarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2004, 02:26 PM   #15
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line
 
DestructoJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tulsa OK/Norman OK
Posts: 1,326
Thanks for all your advice guys Ill let you all know what I decide to go with
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandRover
3rd graders? Any self-respecting high school teacher could punt them like footballs. :laugh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marneaus
10 because you're awesomely conservative and bash all the liberals. hoorah!
www.offroadoverstock.com

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--
DestructoJr is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.