Currie J-arm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Currie J-arm

Halloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-20-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
smurison14

Currie J-arm

I am really interested in running this setup. does anyone have any experience with it? I like the idea of long arms with stock control mounts. Is the axle brackets all you have to cut and weld? How about the rear?

smurison14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2006, 01:17 AM   #2
55willystruck

Do a search for J-arms and see what you come up with. Blaine is very knowledgeable on them and what it takes to install as well. I believe FlexyTJ is running them as well as one other member here-though I can't recall exactly who. A good search should provide all the info you need. Keep in mind though that the "J" arm is not a long-arm if that's what you're after. It is more "mid-length" if you will-longer than a regular short arm, but not as long as a real "long" arm either. There are a couple good explanations and write-ups if you dig around-Blaine has lots of good info about them. I'd love to change over to a "J-arm" setup and outboard the shocks as well-just never seem to have enough cash to fund all these little projects...

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2006, 06:57 AM   #3
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

I have a buddy Joel that's running them...

here's where the write-up was:

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2704

unfortunately, the galleries we were using did an upgrade, so all the hyperlinks changed and he never went back to update them...I'll send him a PM to see if he can do that...

otherwise, the pics are now all here:

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery/...uildup/J_Arms/

and the outboarding shock pics are here:

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery/...utboardShocks/

He really likes 'em...the performance of a long arm with the clearance of a short arm...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

he has an updated version of the J-arms here:

http://www.webwheeling.com/index.php...ry_view&iden=6

and the outboarded shocks here:

http://www.webwheeling.com/index.php...ry_view&iden=7

Greg
Unread 08-21-2006, 11:16 PM   #5
smurison14

Could i run only the j arm kit in the rear until i could afford to do the front? or would it screw up the handling?
Unread 08-22-2006, 01:22 AM   #6
55willystruck

If it were me, and for the work involved, I'd opt for saving up until you have all the necessary funds to complete the project in it's entirety-properly and correctly with all the right parts and be done with it. A J-arm swap is not exactly as easy as a simple spring swap short arm lift.

Wait a minute-that is why I'm not on J-arms yet....

Best of Luck,

Mike

-oh and BigWaylon-Thanks for the link, that's exactly who the "other guy" was that I was thinking of. Great pics!
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2006, 04:37 AM   #7
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurison14
Could i run only the j arm kit in the rear until i could afford to do the front? or would it screw up the handling?
I believe mrblaine is (or at least was) running a half j-arm setup for awhile...

I wanna say it was just the fronts, after he stretched his wheelbase...

I know another guy that ran the RE LA's up front and SA's in the rear for awhile...

just never seen anybody do the rear first...

Greg
Unread 08-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #8
battallion14
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurison14
I don't see why you couldn't. If you are going to do just the rears consider outboarding the shocks as well. I didn't think about it when we did mine and as you saw in the writeup I bottomed them out like that was my life's mission the first time out. The rear are much easier to do than the front and should be less expensive (but not by too much) so that probably isn't a bad jumping off point.

After running that setup for over a year the only disappointment I have is that I cheaped out and ran RE adjustable uppers. I am kicking around the idea of the Blue Torch Fab truss kit for the 8.8 and triangulating the rear. I seem to be going through RE's rubber bushings at the rate of every 3 months.
Unread 08-22-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
smurison14

I would also triangulate the rear at the same time. Will i need to truss my rear axle for the upper links? Or are there just larger brackets from currie?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.