Cragar sucks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Cragar sucks

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 04-04-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
tjsooley

Cragar sucks

my rims are less then a year old and they are crome and they are runsting and i have sent Cragar 2 emails and they have not respond anyone have any advice. whats Cragars warranty?
i dont wheel so i want crome. also any advice on sites that sell steel crome rims at reasonable prices.

Last edited by tjsooley; 04-04-2006 at 04:46 PM..
tjsooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
MissionMan

You probably emailed the wrong company considering it is spelled "Cragar". Being in NJ you obviously drive in road salt which tears the hell out of any rim.....especially steel. Cragar doesnt suck....you get what you pay for (steel wheels).

[b] [COLOR="Red"]Ohio[/COLOR] [COLOR="LemonChiffon"]Air National [/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]Guard[/COLOR] Jeep Club Member #1 [/b]

[B][SIZE="1"][COLOR="DimGray"]Silverstone[/COLOR][/B][B] 02 Wrangler X/ 4.0L 5spd - 2" RE BB, 31" BFG A/T's on 15" Cragar soft 8's, pioneer6700 headunit and speakers, smittybilt side-steps, omix tailight guards, omix rocker cladding, bestop slider windows, black headlight bezels....more to come [/SIZE][/b]
MissionMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
MCanavan

Why would you get chrome steelies in the first place? Steelies are cheap wheels for offroad. No wonder they rusted that's what steelies do when the paint comes off. Get some aluminum wheels, it's not cragars fault, it's not like they advertise "will not rust".
MCanavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
JeepJohnson
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It's not that Cragar sucks, it's that you have steel wheels in the salt belt. That chrome isn't real chrome, it's just paint, once the salt and other road gunk starts to eat it off, it's open season on your wheels.
Low Output 2.5L Member #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaldor View Post
The top is a Barkertop...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capeman29 View Post
OH WOW, it electrically smashes all the fabric and windows together and looks like a big burnt marshmallow hangin off the back of your rig!!!!
JeepJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
tjsooley

what co uses real crome?
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:47 PM   #6
JeepJohnson
1999 TJ Wrangler 

There are lots of companies that make chrome alloy wheels, a couple you might want to check out are American Racing Wheels and Eagle Alloy.
Quote:
Quote:
OH WOW, it electrically smashes all the fabric and windows together and looks like a big burnt marshmallow hangin off the back of your rig!!!!
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
MCanavan

Don't forget Mickey Thompson.
MCanavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:51 PM   #8
JeepJohnson
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I was going to mension MT, but I didn't want to try to explain backspacing here.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:52 PM   #9
XJMark

For light rust on chrome wheels try some nevr-dull. It removes surface rust and polishes the chrome. I always hated having chrome wheels because of the maintenance.

On the TJ I just bought it came with a set of Pacer black steelies, Soft 8's. This wheel style has only been out around 2 years if I remember right and these things are rusting under the powdercoat. Even in places where they can't get scratched by anything, i.e. where inner wheel meets outer ring. Thinking about sandblasting and repainting, not sure if it's worth it though.

XJMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:54 PM   #10
tjsooley

do they still make magnesium rims?
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #11
JeepJohnson
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Don't know about the Pacer's, but you can get Cragar Soft 8's for around $35 a wheel.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-04-2006, 05:01 PM   #12
sickboy98tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i have the same problem with my AR767 black steelies. I'll fix them eventually. Salted roads in the winter is just another reason why living in the north east sucks
sickboy98tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 06:01 PM   #13
GTI2JEEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsooley
do they still make magnesium rims?
yes the Corvette ZO6 has magnesium rims
2005 Black Rubicon, RE 4.5" SF,35x12.5x15 Trxus MT's, 15x8 black steels, Tom Woods Dive Shaft, Mile Marker SE9500, Steves Jeep Fabrication Front Bumper and Rear Bumper with tire carrier, KC slimlight fog, driving, and long range lights, Hi-Lift
GTI2JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 06:33 PM   #14
opiv
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Carrera GT also has forged magnesium rims

The good thing about black rims is they are easy to paint. A couple of years ago I sanded mine down and repainted them with a can of Rustoleum and they came out good. They need to be painted again though because of scrapes and the past winter.
Unread 04-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #15
tjsooley

i think i just will get them recroamed with quallity croam

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.