Corrosion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Corrosion

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
hapbob
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Corrosion

Alum stock wheels with corrosion?
Like the look of stock but how do I make them look nicer?
Products/techniques/ advice/offers?
thanks
Hap

hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A pro wheel paint job is best, if you can afford it.

Cheapest and an improvement over a corroded mess is spray can it. Prime it first with some type primer that works good on aluminum. I like Duplicolor self etching (acid) primer. Adheres very well. But wear a gas mask. The acid will mess up your lungs real bad if you don't wear a gas mask.
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
WXman
2001 WJ 

I just did this. I sanded them down first. You can use sandpaper and scuffing pads and if you want you can also use a Dremel tool with sanding wheel on it. But be careful not to gouge the aluminum. Just want to sand them down smooth and get the high spots of corrosion off. Then clean them with soap/water and dry. Then wipe down with wax and oil remover. Then spray them with primer. Spray cans of this are cheap. Then, buy some DupliColor wheel paint in the color of your choice and spray LIGHT coats letting it dry for 5 minutes between coats.

I just did a set of factory alloy wheels in the graphite grey color and they look freaking awesome. The only mistake I made was that I got a little too rough with the Dremel tool and left some deeper spots in the alloy here and there. If I did it again they'd look factory. Took me maybe 2 hours to do all 4 wheels. You'll need 2-3 cans of wheel paint.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:43 AM   #4
hapbob
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I started

I started to sand down the corrosion spots on rim...I see there is a coating on wheel and when I sand only the spots it's uneven to the rest of wheel? Do I need to sand every bit of wheel? Will paint/primer stick to the coating or does this wheel need to be sanded to the bare aluminum to paint. Is this a big job in preparation?
Hap
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
WXman
2001 WJ 

I went over the whole wheel with a red scuffing pad. I used sand paper and/or Dremel tool with sanding disc only on the really bad parts. You basically just want the wheel to be smooth all over, and etched so the paint will stick. I spent maybe an hour on all 4 wheels for the prep part of the job.

I used a primer to help promote adhesion. Some guys don't do this. I don't know if it's better either way. But it made me feel better about my work to prime the wheels first, then paint.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.