The correct way to use wheel spacers - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > The correct way to use wheel spacers

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #46
Katamarino
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrmngchicken View Post
I have literally bolted up millions of rims in my 15 years in the tire and wheel industry.
Assuming one million (although you imply more), this means that you averaged one rim every 67 seconds, all day, every day, for 15 years.

Katamarino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #47
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

All these years of running non hub centric wheels and cheap Ebay wheel spacers, yet somehow I've survived. Time to play the lotto!
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #48
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
All these years of running non hub centric wheels and cheap Ebay wheel spacers, yet somehow I've survived. Time to play the lotto!

That's what I thought, Im still not a multi millionaire! Been trying for weeks .
Since I was 15 and a full time driver, I have always used aftermarket wheel/tire combos on all that I have ever owned.
Never a problem, No odd gap, Perfect fit every time in the vehicles and miles I have driven them.
To the anal retentive its something to nit pick to death, The common jeeper they buy wheels that are made for multi bore, But also lug centric. Take and mount any decent aftermarket wheel on with no cap, Chances are the bore gap will be the same in all directions when bolted up, Driven and re torqued to spec.
To each their own, If it were a hazard or even something to worry about, Aftermarket wheels would be slim to most likely none.
Unread 04-12-2014, 07:25 AM   #49
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
-snip-
To each their own, If it were a hazard or even something to worry about, Aftermarket wheels would be slim to most likely none.
Nobody said the WRONG WHEELS FOR A JEEP could not be used, only that it is better to buy the right wheels, or the right wheel spacers.

Whatever else you think, when the factory fits wheels that tightly hug the center hub, and are held on with five lugs, that is stronger than five lugs alone.

Now ask yourself if you want to UPGRADE the tire size on your Jeep while DOWNGRADING the strength of the connection between the wheel and the axle.

Most people would say NO, if you can't actually UPGRADE the connection, you should not weaken it. So fit the right wheels for a Jeep, specificly made for the Jeep application.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #50
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserJeep View Post

Nobody said the WRONG WHEELS FOR A JEEP could not be used, only that it is better to buy the right wheels, or the right wheel spacers.

Whatever else you think, when the factory fits wheels that tightly hug the center hub, and are held on with five lugs, that is stronger than five lugs alone.

Now ask yourself if you want to UPGRADE the tire size on your Jeep while DOWNGRADING the strength of the connection between the wheel and the axle.

Most people would say NO, if you can't actually UPGRADE the connection, you should not weaken it. So fit the right wheels for a Jeep, specificly made for the Jeep application.
If something (e.g. lug centric) works perfectly well there is no need to make it "better".
Unread 04-13-2014, 03:40 AM   #51
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
If something (e.g. lug centric) works perfectly well there is no need to make it "better".
But you see, when you replace the hub-centric wheels that the factory fitted, with lug-centric wheels, you are not making anything better:

1) Without using the center hub to position the wheel you must slip it over the lugs, and risk messing up the threads or having the steel threads on the lugs abrade the softer aluminum of the wheel.

2) With just the lugs both positioning and clamping the wheel to the axle flange, you risk having loose lug nuts (because a tire store minimum wage employee screwed up) which will wiggle and fatigue the lugs as the wheel turns. This is not uncommon and often results in broken lugs and oversized wallowed out holes in the wheel. If you don't notice the problem you can lose a tire and wheel at highway speed.

Bottom Line: If you bought lug-centric wheels, you paid good money to make part of your Jeep weaker. You downgraded.

But now you know better, and you don't need to do so ever again.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #52
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bottom line: Quit sniffing angel dust, YOU ARE FULL OF ****!

Since you keep up with this BS, Explain to the masses why there has never been any problems with aftermarket wheels on jeeps?

Why is there no 'I egged out a lug hole' thread weekly?

It don't happen because you are full of ****! The chances ARE better at winning the lottery than loosing a wheel unless you are too stupid to check the lugs every so often.
Then it falls under dumb *** owner who didn't listen and re-torque after driving and heat cycling.

If the wheel is a RWD 5x4.5", Tapered lug holes, Accepts a 1/2"-20 acorn lug nut, It will fit and perform flawlessly unless owner is too lazy and dumb!
Unread 04-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #53
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserJeep View Post
But you see, when you replace the hub-centric wheels that the factory fitted, with lug-centric wheels, you are not making anything better:

1) Without using the center hub to position the wheel you must slip it over the lugs, and risk messing up the threads or having the steel threads on the lugs abrade the softer aluminum of the wheel.

2) With just the lugs both positioning and clamping the wheel to the axle flange, you risk having loose lug nuts (because a tire store minimum wage employee screwed up) which will wiggle and fatigue the lugs as the wheel turns. This is not uncommon and often results in broken lugs and oversized wallowed out holes in the wheel. If you don't notice the problem you can lose a tire and wheel at highway speed.

Bottom Line: If you bought lug-centric wheels, you paid good money to make part of your Jeep weaker. You downgraded.

But now you know better, and you don't need to do so ever again.
You misread my post. I have no problem "downgrading" if things are still perfectly safe and do the job. Take a look at the fights over steel v. aluminum armor. Is steel stronger? Yes. Does aluminum do the job perfectly fine (and have other positives)? Absolutely. I run almost exclusively aluminum armor.

Look back at my original post which I think was #2. Lug centric wheels properly installed are perfectly safe. User error will create a problem with hundreds of different items on our jeeps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.