The correct way to use wheel spacers - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > The correct way to use wheel spacers

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #31
CommanderDan

Delete

CommanderDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #32
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
The 'correct' way, Is to buy the 'correct' wheels and not spacers. Its a lot safer and same cost most times, Wheels vs spacers, No brainer!
Why? Low offset wheels and stock wheels with spacers put the same loads on a unit bearing. Spacers are known to be safe if installed properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkAlert View Post
IMHO....Don't use wheel spacers for off road applications. Period.
It's not really about what you think, it's about what physics and real life experiences prove. Just because you don't like spacers doesn't mean you should go online and tell everyone not to use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkAlert View Post
I can only respond from personal experience. One may differ but you cannot deny that by adding a wheel spacer you are increasing lateral forces on studs that where not designed for the shear strengths involved with off-roading.

One could argue that spacers that use a conical nut (acorn style/lug centric)makes up for the difference if you are not using a true hub-centric rim. The reality is that you are adding a secondary system on top of a primary and increasing lateral shear loads on the OEM studs as most rims are lug-centric. You may be OK for street driving but from personal experience I wouldn't use it off road. Your Jeep, your risk.
1. Offroading puts all kinds of crazy forces are parts that aren't technically designed for it. But they hold up just fine. Stock unit bearings on my D30 held up just fine to years of off-roading on 35" tires and low offset wheels.

2. I have never seen a lugnut that isn't conical. Does anything use non-conical lugnuts these days? Passenger vehicles I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
Personal experience here.
I got a set of 15x8 Mickey T Classic Lock wheels in June 2005. They use acorn nuts, have 3.31" back spacing, and are LUG centric. They've been installed in 31 and 33x10.5 tires.
I torque the nuts to 90lbs. I have never had a single nut come loose after the initial torquing, in 9 years.
I wouldn't hesitate to use lug centric wheels with acorn nuts again.
I'm in this same boat. Had the same wheels, I was pretty sure they were lug centric. Very low offset so they stuck out pretty far. Puts the same forces on the unit bearing as a stock wheel with a 2" spacer and I was running 35s. Tens of thousands of street miles, lots of hard offroading, never loosened a lugnut or hurt a unit bearing that was properly torqued.

And I'm running 1.5" spacers on my DD WJ without a problem. Bigger tires too. The potholes of DC haven't broken off any studs yet.
Unread 03-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #33
CommanderDan

Delete
Unread 03-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #34
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

There is so much paranoid garbage in this thread it should be deleted.
Unread 03-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #35
CommanderDan

Delete
Unread 03-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #36
CommanderDan

Delete
Unread 03-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #37
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderDan View Post
All lugnuts are lug centric, but only the good spacers are hub centric.
Shear brilliance here. Way to add to the crap "Commanderobvious." Google internet "troll" before spouting off.
Unread 03-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #38
CommanderDan

Delete
Unread 03-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #39
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrmngchicken View Post
Okay, maybe you can understand in spite of the sound your knuckles are making when you drag them on the ground.

Original. Equipment. Rims. On. All. Vehicles. Are. Hub. Centric. Period. End. Of. Discussion.

I have literally bolted up millions of rims in my 15 years in the tire and wheel industry. Companies like Excalibur, Gorilla Automotive, Vision, etc, make hub centric rings for aftermarket rims. Why? Because aftermarket rims typically are overbored to accept multiple applications. These rings fill the gap and make them, wait for it... Wait... Hub centric. So, OE rims are hub centric. And you can make many aftermarket rims hub centric just like OE applications.
If all tire/wheel dealers were as knowledgeable as this, we would not have the problems we have.

If all Jeep owners were knowledgeable on this topic, we would not have problems, either.

The tires and wheels are often more costly than the lift, so you should not be so impatient to get your rig back that you will accept the wrong wheels.

On this and on everything else you do to your Jeep, you should strive to understand what you are doing and to do it correctly.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #40
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserJeep View Post
If all tire/wheel dealers were as knowledgeable as this, we would not have the problems we have.

If all Jeep owners were knowledgeable on this topic, we would not have problems, either.

The tires and wheels are often more costly than the lift, so you should not be so impatient to get your rig back that you will accept the wrong wheels.

On this and on everything else you do to your Jeep, you should strive to understand what you are doing and to do it correctly.
I couldn't possibly agree more. In my field, there are the people who want to learn, and people who refuse to learn. And I deal with them every single day.

Quote:
There is so much paranoid garbage in this thread it should be deleted
I couldn't possibly agree with this any less. So, it is better to simply delete discussion simply because your opinion does not line up with what is discussed? People tend to say things, and hold unwavering opinions (especially if they are flat wrong) for one reason; pride. Unwilling to accept fact because of pride. And it's sickening.
Scrmngchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 02:04 AM   #41
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk403 View Post
This is a hub-centric wheel. Your Jeep wheels are not like these.(Unless maybe your tons require them).

Yes, you are correct - that is a hub-centric wheel from a medium truck, 3/4-ton or 1-ton, the eight wheel lugs are a dead giveaway.

You DO understand that the Jeep "universal" chassis, from the original Willys to the current JK wrangler, are all 1/4-ton chassis with lighter duty powertrains, and the lighter-duty hub centric wheels and axles are very different in appearance from your example?
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
Unread 03-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #42
Dflores0625

Can someone help me out with this question...I recently got a 2012 JK with stock Rubicon wheels an tires... 255/75/17...does anyone know if the stock wheels will work with a 3.5" lift kit? Or will I need spacers?
Dflores0625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #43
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dflores0625 View Post
Can someone help me out with this question...I recently got a 2012 JK with stock Rubicon wheels an tires... 255/75/17...does anyone know if the stock wheels will work with a 3.5" lift kit? Or will I need spacers?
How many new threads are you going to start and how many other threads are you going to try to hijack with this question? You need to have a little patience. Actually your best bet would probably be to go ask the question in the JK Tech forum but I really don't want to encourage you to start or hijack more threads.
Unread 03-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #44
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Your question cannot be answered as asked, in any case. Follow the process:

1) Decide what tire you want to run, diameter and width.
2) Pick a lift kit for that tire diameter.
3) Pick wheels or a wheel/spacer combo for the tire width.
4) If the tires are 35" diameter or larger, plan new gearing, brake upgrades, and axle shaft upgrades.

DON'T start by picking a lift kit.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
Unread 04-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #45
DorkAlert

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
It's not really about what you think, it's about what physics and real life experiences prove. Just because you don't like spacers doesn't mean you should go online and tell everyone not to use them.
Sorry, but my personal REAL LIFE experience tells me otherwise and I will stand by what I experienced. Maybe %99.9 of the time no one will have a problem with adapters. That's okay for them but not for me. I had a bad experience that left a bad taste in my mouth and I won't be going back.

It's not really about what you think either. This is a forum where discussions are to be had. To suggest to someone to not go online to express an opinion or share an experience negates the entire purpose of a forum.

Your statement is a perfect example of how obtuse some people can be.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.