The correct way to use wheel spacers - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > The correct way to use wheel spacers

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #16
Tylers88
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Not for my jeep but in high school I drove a 1988 GMC K1500 with "wrong wheels" and I put that truck through hell, ditches and fields at highway speeds, airing it out and im not talking a tire or 2 just off the ground, the frame has a ripple in it to this day, broke the rear cab mounts and broke a leaf spring hanger from some of the landings, broke a few shocks and one slightly intoxicated night doing doughnuts I hit a train track hard enough with a wheel the rearend isnt center anymore and I never had any issues with breaking wheel studs for any reason other than rust and both back wheels only had 5 of the 6 wheel studs to begin with. That said I understand your concern wiith safety thats why I want a sport cage in my TJ I think the way you went about it was wrong.

Tylers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #17
DorkAlert

2006 LJ Wrangler 

IMHO....Don't use wheel spacers for off road applications. Period.
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #18
jimk403
Age and experience
2009 JK Wrangler 

Wow.
If you all think Jeep wheels are hub-centric, I will look elsewhere for advice in the future.
Unread 03-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #19
DorkAlert

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I can only respond from personal experience. One may differ but you cannot deny that by adding a wheel spacer you are increasing lateral forces on studs that where not designed for the shear strengths involved with off-roading.

One could argue that spacers that use a conical nut (acorn style/lug centric)makes up for the difference if you are not using a true hub-centric rim. The reality is that you are adding a secondary system on top of a primary and increasing lateral shear loads on the OEM studs as most rims are lug-centric. You may be OK for street driving but from personal experience I wouldn't use it off road. Your Jeep, your risk.
Unread 03-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #20
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Personal experience here.
I got a set of 15x8 Mickey T Classic Lock wheels in June 2005. They use acorn nuts, have 3.31" back spacing, and are LUG centric. They've been installed in 31 and 33x10.5 tires.
I torque the nuts to 90lbs. I have never had a single nut come loose after the initial torquing, in 9 years.

The ONLY time I've had a problem is when I under-torqued one wheel and it fell off after 40 miles of very twisty roads.
Yes I knew something was wrong, no I couldn't safely stop. The road cuts through rural hills. It's nothing but blind, banked, sweeping curves. Not the kind of place you want to pull off to tighten a driver side tire. It fell off as I was coming to a stop to tighten it back up. It actually stayed in the wheel well.
I wouldn't hesitate to use lug centric wheels with acorn nuts again.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #21
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkAlert
I can only respond from personal experience. One may differ but you cannot deny that by adding a wheel spacer you are increasing lateral forces on studs that where not designed for the shear strengths involved with off-roading. One could argue that spacers that use a conical nut (acorn style/lug centric)makes up for the difference if you are not using a true hub-centric rim. The reality is that you are adding a secondary system on top of a primary and increasing lateral shear loads on the OEM studs as most rims are lug-centric. You may be OK for street driving but from personal experience I wouldn't use it off road. Your Jeep, your risk.
Wouldn't the same be said for any deeply offset wheel, regardless of using a spacer?
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #22
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk403 View Post
Wow.
If you all think Jeep wheels are hub-centric, I will look elsewhere for advice in the future.
Um, what? All OE rims, no matter the make, are hub-centric.

Sorry, but that comment makes absolutely no sense...
Scrmngchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #23
Bigev
KCCO

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrmngchicken
Um, what? All OE rims, no matter the make, are hub-centric. Sorry, but that comment makes absolutely no sense...
If I were to add another assumption to this thread, it would be that he does not work on vehicles...

Leave it to a mechanic :O
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #24
DorkAlert

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
Wouldn't the same be said for any deeply offset wheel, regardless of using a spacer?
I suppose so, that is a good point, but you are still adding an additional 5 points of failure. My experience could have been the result of some mechanic not torquing to spec the spacer to the wheel hub or maybe the spacer was not centered properly. I do know it left a bad taste in my mouth and I don't plane on using spacers or wheel adapters on anything that has a driving force behind it.

Maybe my feelings are unwarranted.
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #25
jimk403
Age and experience
2009 JK Wrangler 

This is a hub-centric wheel. Your Jeep wheels are not like these.(Unless maybe your tons require them).
20140313_164951.jpg

Unread 03-14-2014, 04:13 AM   #26
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

opcorn:
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #27
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk403 View Post
This is a hub-centric wheel. Your Jeep wheels are not like these.(Unless maybe your tons require them).
Okay, maybe you can understand in spite of the sound your knuckles are making when you drag them on the ground.

Original. Equipment. Rims. On. All. Vehicles. Are. Hub. Centric. Period. End. Of. Discussion.

I have literally bolted up millions of rims in my 15 years in the tire and wheel industry. Companies like Excalibur, Gorilla Automotive, Vision, etc, make hub centric rings for aftermarket rims. Why? Because aftermarket rims typically are overbored to accept multiple applications. These rings fill the gap and make them, wait for it... Wait... Hub centric. So, OE rims are hub centric. And you can make many aftermarket rims hub centric just like OE applications.
Unread 03-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #28
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrmngchicken View Post
Okay, maybe you can understand in spite of the sound your knuckles are making when you drag them on the ground.

Original. Equipment. Rims. On. All. Vehicles. Are. Hub. Centric. Period. End. Of. Discussion.

I have literally bolted up millions of rims in my 15 years in the tire and wheel industry. Companies like Excalibur, Gorilla Automotive, Vision, etc, make hub centric rings for aftermarket rims. Why? Because aftermarket rims typically are overbored to accept multiple applications. These rings fill the gap and make them, wait for it... Wait... Hub centric. So, OE rims are hub centric. And you can make many aftermarket rims hub centric just like OE applications.
Only if the aftermarket wheel's bore center is hub centric to it's bolt circle, can it be made hub centric with hub rings. For example, Barrett insists that their wheels be balanced on the bolt circle and not the center bore because they can't guarantee the bore center and bolt circle have the same center. So if you used hub centric rings on Barrett's, you would probably put the wheel studs off center in the bolt holes.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #29
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
Only if the aftermarket wheel's bore center is hub centric to it's bolt circle, can it be made hub centric with hub rings. For example, Barrett insists that their wheels be balanced on the bolt circle and not the center bore because they can't guarantee the bore center and bolt circle have the same center. So if you used hub centric rings on Barrett's, you would probably put the wheel studs off center in the bolt holes.
That's why when balancing, things like these are used:

The balancing cone does most of the job, whether it's hub centric or not, and the fixed stud plates hold the assembly down as if it's bolted on the car. When the assembly is bolted on, hub rings are used to center the rim on the hub. It has nothing to do with holding it down so much as it prevents the lugs from riding up the seats to center the rim. Because if it's centered solely with the lugs, you have a greater chance of having a vibration issue.
Unread 03-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #30
11B-33T
Grumpy vet

2004 WJ 

GIFSoup

Did not expect this discussion to escalate dramatically...
11B-33T is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.