Correct backspacing for Wrangler Wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Correct backspacing for Wrangler Wheels

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
HobieSun
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Correct backspacing for Wrangler Wheels

Hello everyone,
I am going to buy some cheap black steel wheels for my 98 wrangler. I know the bolt pattern is 5X4.5. I have BFG's 31's on the stock wheels going to go with simple 15X8's. I do have a bit of tire rub on the inside when I turn all the way. WHat would be a good back space to go by when I order the new wheels? I would like them to be out a little more then stock. Thank you.

HobieSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
HobieSun
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have stock steelies that look like hell. One of the wheels are bent so I may as well buy a new set for $200. So a 3.75" or 4.00" back space would be decent?
Unread 07-16-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you want the tires to stick out further, 3.75" to 4" is what you want.

The stock wheels have 5.5" of backspacing. Knowing that, you can do the math and figure out exactly how much further an new wheel/tire combo will move outwards.

Also, if you have 7" wide wheels, new 8" wide wheels will add another 1" to how much further the new wheel/tire combo will move outwards.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
HobieSun
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks dude, That is really what I should have asked for, the stock back spacing. Yes, I would really like to buy the **** Cepek wheels for it they look so bad *** but, $250 for a set of wheels is just smacking my cheap arss. I have too many things going on and just can't afford killer wheels for it. I would love to put even some stock alloys but I am running out of time to look for them. Besides, maybe next year I can sell the black steelies and get some pretties! Thanks guys.
In your honest oppinion what backspacing would you recommend? Do you think 4.25? I mean is an inch really going to be that big of a deal? I found a nice set that will go to 4.0. But if you think that is too much then...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.