Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/5/20 for WK2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/5/20 for WK2

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
BManz
2011 WK 

Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/5/20 for WK2

This is an initial review of the Cooper Zeon LTZ in 275/55/20 on a 2011 Hemi Grand Cherokee 4x4 Limited with standard suspension and rear load-leveling shocks (tow package). Miles driven: 1130 miles over a one week trip. Tires installed and balanced, taxed: $995 out the door. I highly recommend these as an "all terrain" solution for a Grand with 20" wheels. Long term wear rating is TBD. Full initial review and more pics below.

WHY -- The stock Forteras work well for me on the road, but I wanted a more aggressive tire for light trail use that wouldn't be too loud and still provide decent road performance. Several Land Rover LR3 people I've gone "off-road" camping with use Cooper Zeon LTZ tires so after some further research it was an easy pick. Other tires considered were mainly Nitto Terra Grapplers (really noisy, short life), Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor (disappointing performance), Cooper AT3 (not aggressive enough) and a few others far off my short list. I wanted to keep the 20" wheels so choices were limited obviously. Thanks goes out to my old cross-town neighbor and forum friend, BMWister, for hooking me up with people who owned these comparison tires.

THE FIT -- Perfect. I bought a second set of 20" wheels and TPMS sensors because I'll still run the Forteras for summer road duty. The Zeon LTZ in 275/55/20 fit perfectly on the stock 20" Jeep wheels and add about 3/4" more tread and section width to provide more rim protection. The overall wheel diameter increased to 31.5" from ~30", so that gives another 3/4" of extra road clearance and only results in ~4% lower speedometer reading (60mph indicated = 63mph actual). The sidewalls of the Zeon LTZ are very thick and firm -- I didn't measure with a caliper but they felt as meaty as BFG All Terrains I had on another vehicle. There is no rubbing or clearance issue at any angle and they look good on the Grand, IMHO. Note that new OEM-replacement TPMS sensors were recognized after sitting several minutes once mounted and without any "programming".

PERFORMANCE ON ROAD-- All the reviews say they're quiet, and the are for an AT tire, but the Zeon LTZs do have a mild hum. At about 65-70mph the hum is more noticeable but not like a mud-tire and not objectionable. Over hard bumps the Zeon LTZs are actually quieter than the Forteras. Handling is better than the Forteras in wet/dry and they really stay glued in the turns with less floating feel than the Forteras. On wet roads the Zeon LTZs stuck like a rain tire and never broke loose even with traction control set to "off". The lugs and voids are big but never had any gravel sticking/flinging. The tread stayed clear of gravel and debris. No noticeable loss of power from the minor increase in diameter and the ride comfort is still excellent, I'd say even better, considering the firmer sidewall. Very cool!

PERFORMANCE OFF ROAD -- No off-road events on this long trip but, due to a good rain storm while up north, I went in search of some mud. All I could find was some mild dirt "access roads" in a place we weren't supposed to be, so no pics from there, sorry. The Zeon LTZs did cake up with some clay but quickly self-cleared and the traction and steering control was really great. On a short rocky climb out of the access road they grabbed really well on the wet rocks. I've had BFG All Terrains (different truck) in the same kind of muck before and I believe they would have fared no better and possibly worse in the clay mud. This off-road part will get updated when I get a chance or when the fall and winter weather hits if I can ever get away to do some proper testing. I think the Zeon LTZs suit the Grand well for road and moderate trail use.

DEEP lugs but angled just right to let gravel and mud slip out. Good rain channels too.

Still has a stock look but tires are no longer wimpy. I didn't want to stand out when I go to church. Extra sidewall height is noticeable and welcome.

Rear view look. They stick out a tiny bit more than the Forteras but not like SRT8 reps (I considered them) that push sidewalls to the edge of the wheel well lips -- paint will stay better protected by using the stock 20" wheels. I balanced form and function without going to an 18" wheel set.

BManz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
kevster
2012 WK 

This is what I am going to do, Cooper Zeon LTZ tires are nice, had them on my 2010 Ram 1500 4x4, and they worked awsome. The Cooper is a nice looking tire, has that sporty look, this tire was made for the 4x4 and gives a sporty look with performance on and off the road.
2012 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 5.7 LAREDO X PACKAGE. HARDLINE BLACKOUT 20X9 WHEELS, FRONT WINDOW TINT. COOPER DISCOVERER AT/3 275-55-20 TIRES,MOPAR ROOF RACK CROSS BARS,MOPAR T-SHIFTER HANDLE,MOPAR CAI, MOPAR FRONT SKID PLATE. TAILLIGHT SOLUTIONS HALOGEN REAR FOGS, GIBSON S.S. AXLE BACK EXHAUST.HARDLINE BLACKOUT WHEELS IN 20X9.
kevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
JMP8562

Good choice when mine ware out im in for a set thanks for sharing
89 lifted wrangler to 95 lifted cherokee to 01 GC now 07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH UNDER THE HOOD CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" SS lift/1"M.O.R.E BL/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/DUEL AND SINGLE GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75 CB/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
JMP8562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
2014Wk2Overland
2014 WK 

Any updates on how they wear? Its been about two years since your post. Im guessing you got to experience a decent amount.
Unread 08-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
JMP8562

I have about 30000mi on mine and like the ride and haven't really noticed much ware on them.
89 lifted wrangler to 95 lifted cherokee to 01 GC now 07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH UNDER THE HOOD CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" SS lift/1"M.O.R.E BL/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/DUEL AND SINGLE GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75 CB/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
JMP8562 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.