Cooper STT or BFG KM2s? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Cooper STT or BFG KM2s?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Story
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Cooper STT or BFG KM2s?

After 6 months of looking I had decided on the BFG KM2 and was intending to sipe them because I drive alot on snow and ice and now I saw a few posts about the Cooper STT. Any experience with this tire particularly offroad (I have LTBs now and abuse them) and onroad in snow and ice? How would you compare them to the KM2s?

Story is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
racingchester
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Bfg km2

Have 12.50 33 15s on an 01 TJ. I have a 4 1/2" Rubicon lift. Getting a fair amount of road hunt with these tires. Have rebuilt front end (tie rod ends etc) and alignment. Do minimal amount of mud bogging. What tire would be a better choice? Thanks for the input....Chuck
racingchester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
tjtrucker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If snow and ice is your game with some off road thrown in and a DD to boot, then the Goodyear Duratrac is what you want, it'll do much better than the KM2/STT.
tjtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Story
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I guess I should have mentioned I need a 35 12.5 15 and they dont make the Duratrac in that size. Otherwise, I agree though I am concerned with the side wall strength of the Duratrac. I wish GY would make the Duratrac with the MTR w/K carcass and the Duratrac tread (in a 35).
Unread 03-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
racingchester
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input...
racingchester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
tjtrucker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, no 35's for Duratrac, and the 2 belt sidewall isn't weak, it's just not bullet proof. I wouldn't drag the side walls across jagged rocks. If you're wanting bullet proof, Maxxis Bighorns are good tires. the STTs do better in the rain reviews and on side hill traction than the KM2. I've read the Pro-Comp Extreme MT tires are very good all around tires, and aren't noisy on the road due to advanced design and siping. I think Procomps are actually made by Cooper.
tjtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

STTs hands down, I walk through mud with those. Best 1000 I've ever spent. 25,000 miles later and they are missing only a 1/8th of the original tread. They are nearly silent as well, mostly because they don't cup (as long as you rotate them regularly) I should get 50k out of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
neonhomer
1996 ZJ 

I am not sure about the KM2's but I have a friend who runs the STT's on his Suburban, and it rips through the mud really well.

I've thought about getting those for my ZJ, in the 31" flavor, but I can't swing the $800 they want for em.
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L/42RE/242 - Rebuilt motor w/ Comp cam (4/12), 3.5" Junkyard F>R lift, 31x10.5.x15 M/T's, Spartan Locked D44a, TC & tank skids, F&R adj trackbars, V8 steering arms
Galaxy DX99V CB, 102" SS Whip, Yaesu FT-2900R 2m, Larsen 1/4w mag mount, Sony HU, Massive 3way - F Door, Pioneer 3way - R Doors, MB Quart ONX304 Subs (x2), Lanzar 1600w amp.

"No Matter Where You Go... There You Are."
"Oh me oh my a lovely day is dawning. Oh what a joy I didn't wake up dead. So I can go to work and then resume my yawning, and get my sleep on site instead of in my bed" - Daria Morgendorffer (with my twist)
neonhomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

STT hands down. I've run both, and the difference between the two is night and day.

Better sidewalls, lower noise, safer in foul weather, lower cost, etc. Oh, and my STTs were made in USA too.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

STT hands down. I've run both, and the difference between the two is night and day.

Better sidewalls, lower noise, safer in foul weather, lower cost, etc. Oh, and my STTs were made in USA too.
Unread 03-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
csmith
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman

Do the coopers balance well?
csmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
02JEEP
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm BFG loyal, always have been always will. I just got another set of 33s. Always got real good mileage out of them. DJ
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post
Do the coopers balance well?
Mine did. I had 33s and they balanced perfectly fine. I assume the 35s would balance fine too. I loved those tires. The performance offroad was fantastic for me. I don't rock crawl. On road they were almost like riding on ATs.
Unread 03-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
Story
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You ran both?

You ran both the KM2 and STT? I was hoping maybe someone had direct experience with both. Alot of people seem to think the Coopers are 2nd class tires and I dont know if I agree with that. I think its just that they dont advertise much and sell under different names more. I feel like the KM2s might be a tougher tire (and could be wrong) but, with no siping, cannot be as good on road. I am particularly concerned with snow and ice. Any comments on how the two compare with snow/ice? I know neither are Blizzaks...
Unread 03-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Well here's the deal.. Cooper makes LOTS of tires. ProComp, Mastercraft, American, etc. They are one of the largest tire manufacturers in the world. The fact that a huge majority of their stuff has "Made in USA" stamped on it is just a cherry on top. Personally, I'd pick Cooper over BFG (French) any day of the week.

BFGs are the most over-rated tires on earth. We can trash the KO all day long for it's failures, but you are specifically looking at KM2. The KM2 is horrible in ice and rain. I ended up selling my KM2s to a forum member and the following week they told me they almost rear-ended a car because of those damn tires. Not to mention, MY set of BFGs was loud too. Like, deafening loud. A lot of people talk about the KM2 being a quiet tire. Those people must need new batteries in their hearing aids. To be fair, they were load range "E" which does not belong on a Jeep, but that was all that was offered. This added to the stiffness and sh*tty ride. I basically just hated the tires the whole time I had them which wasn't very long.

The Cooper on the other hand has siping and a better tread arrangement. So it does a much better job as a street tire in my opinion. And it digs hard offroad. It has ArmorTek 3-ply sidewalls, so it trumps the KM2 there as well. I've seen people get outstanding mileage out of the STTs. I just personally think the STT is one of the best all around tires on the market.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.