Cooper Discoverer A/T3 vs. S/T MAXX vs. STT - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Cooper Discoverer A/T3 vs. S/T MAXX vs. STT

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 04-27-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
emineh

Cooper Discoverer A/T3 vs. S/T MAXX vs. STT

what do you all know about these 3 tires and the difference if you have had or driven these 3? I would like to have some new tires on my '11 JK with no lift and read some other posts about Cooper tires.

I did some research on these 3 tires but wanted to get peoples opinions first since I trust people here first and foremost on their opinions. Pleasee help me out.

Basically I would like to know this. If you had a brand new JK unlimited and wanted to have some new wheels on it what would you put? without adding a lift but wanted it to look good and perform well in off road conditions as well.

emineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
carrillo77
2011 JK Wrangler 

I also have a new 11 jk with no lift and after extensive research on all tires I decided the best were the st maxx.
I got them and I am extremely happy with them. They work extremely well off road and are very quiet on road
carrillo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:24 AM   #3
KVW

I have AT-3 on my Ranger love em they grab well on the dirt as well as the black stuff they take a good hit be fore the suspension bottoms out. I'm about to put STT on my Wrangler I'm a convert to Coopers. I have two set of Goodyear Wrangler AT's and they are crap. I have a mate that has had ST and STT on a work ute and found STT lasted longer than ST which surprise me

Cheers Kel
KVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

These are all good tires, but for different reasons. You should provide more information about where, when, and how you'll be using your vehicle other than "wanted it to look good and perform well in off road conditions as well."
Wheels wanted to buy:
4 or 5 Turbines, old XJ 5-slot,
KJ 17x7.5 6-spoke, or KJ 16x7 5-spoke alloy

Paying ~$50 per wheel--Classified ad HERE
Have 4 (oxidized) Lace and 5 Eccos for potential trade
Biologist
Dog trainer
Mountain biker
Gamer
Jeep owner
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
WXman

The ST Maxx runs big for it's size, looks great, works excellent in ALL conditions, and generally is just the most bad *** tire on the market right now for all-around use. The cons are that it's LT D or LT E rated only, which means it's heavy as bricks and will hurt MPGs, braking, and acceleration on a Jeep. It's sort of overkill...unless you do stay off the pavement a lot.

The AT3 is like comparing boots to tennis shoes. It's quiet, comfortable, grips extremely well, and is lightweight. Great tire for pavement, rain, snow, light mud, and dirt. It's also extremely efficient.

You need to ask yourself how you'll be driving. I've seen a lot of people claim 70% on road 30% offroad...but truth is most people are truly only spending 5% or less of their miles offroad.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman
The ST Maxx runs big for it's size, looks great, works excellent in ALL conditions, and generally is just the most bad *** tire on the market right now for all-around use. The cons are that it's LT D or LT E rated only, which means it's heavy as bricks and will hurt MPGs, braking, and acceleration on a Jeep. It's sort of overkill...unless you do stay off the pavement a lot. The AT3 is like comparing boots to tennis shoes. It's quiet, comfortable, grips extremely well, and is lightweight. Great tire for pavement, rain, snow, light mud, and dirt. It's also extremely efficient. You need to ask yourself how you'll be driving. I've seen a lot of people claim 70% on road 30% offroad...but truth is most people are truly only spending 5% or less of their miles offroad.
Yeah, people like to overestimate how much they actually leave the road. Honestly describe the driving you'll be doing, and I'm more than happy to render assistance. I'm not afraid to use or recommend milder tires though because most people don't need as aggressive a tire as they think; it's like peer pressure and the desire to have "cool" tires trump real needs with many people.
Wheels wanted to buy:
4 or 5 Turbines, old XJ 5-slot,
KJ 17x7.5 6-spoke, or KJ 16x7 5-spoke alloy

Paying ~$50 per wheel--Classified ad HERE
Have 4 (oxidized) Lace and 5 Eccos for potential trade
Biologist
Dog trainer
Mountain biker
Gamer
Jeep owner
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Scherer
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just got a set of Cooper AT3s for my Silverado, 265/70/17. Liked what I've read about them here and online. Will give my opinion after I put some miles on them.
Unread 10-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Duh

Ive had a few sets of stt on my old tj. Just bought at3 in 265/70r17 for my wj and 245/70r16 for the womans. Ive also had super swampers, goodyears and firestones personally. Loved the coopers the best but need less aggresive ones now.
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
BLarkin
1997 ZJ 

I am a tire dealer, and Cooper tires are our #1 seller, with Michelin being a close second. As far as Cooper goes, each tire you picked are for different types of driving. You didn't mention what most of your driving was, just that you wanted something good offload. I'm goo to assume you do majority on road/highway driving, with occasional off road use.

The STT is a great off road and mud tire. But for a daily driver, that will only see off road 3-5 times a year, and not much snow or anything like that (since you live in LA, also assuming no snow lol), you will not like them after 10,000 miles. From my experience, and from what my customers tell me, they start 'singing' and getting very noisy after approximately 10000 miles or so of driving. If you are going to be driving everyday at 70mph, that may be a problem. But otherwise, they are very good looking, handle great off road, and wear decent for a mud tire. Not great wear, but decent.

The AT3 is probably my top seller as far as Jeeps and light trucks go. Great everyday tire, not too noisy, great wear characteristics, 55k mile warranty (I think, don't remember for 100%). This is a new design, based off of the old Cooper ATR, which was junk btw, and has improved tremendously. I had a customer put a set on a Explorer Sport Trac, drove from NC to TX, and when he came back, he told me that those tires were the quietest tires he had ever had, and that is definitely saying something for an all terrain tire. No personal experience, but from what I've heard, they handle pretty good off road too. I'm sure they would do great for trail riding, but probably not too good in slick mud.

As far as the ST MAXX goes, I haven't sold too many sets of those, so I really dont have a lot of hands on experience like I do with the others. I can say they wear great on bigger trucks (think f250/350, ram 2500, etc). I've put a few sets on trucks that do a lot of towing, but wanted a more aggressive look, and they seem to do great. As far as off road capabilities, I have no idea, probably about as good as the AT3, but not as good as STT.

So all in all, for what I assume you will be doing, which is mostly highway driving, the AT3 will be your best bet. Hope this helps.
BLarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
Scherer
2012 JK Wrangler 

Cooper is offering an $80 mail in rebate when you buy 4 tires. I ended up paying $118/tire installed. Couldn't pass it up.
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
BLarkin
1997 ZJ 

That only applies to certain tires, though. The AT3 is $80, but the other two tires that were asked about do not have a rebate.
BLarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
NU_WJ

Don't have experience with the others, but I have the AT3s on my WJ. Do only class 1-2 off-road trails, but a good amount of snow and ice around ski season. No complaints on any front there...and they're quiet on the highways
NU_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
wetsquirrel
2013 JK Wrangler 

Cooper makes a great tire. I don't have them on my JK but do have a set of Cooper Zeon LTZ's on my 2008 Dodge Ram. I've put just under 20K miles on them and they are wearing very well. I rotate them every 6K miles. I had a set of Cooper Discover AT's on a 1995 Tahoe with 70K miles on them. There was still tread left on them when I traded it for my Dodge.
wetsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.