Cooper Discoverer STT - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Cooper Discoverer STT

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #46
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarBlackTJ View Post
Hi Bman, I just have my Cooper´s 33x12,5R15 too. They look huge compared with the 31´BFG AT´s. I mounted them on black cragar´s soft 8. They claim 4" of backspacing. I could seriously rub on the sway bar at maximum turn when compressing off-road. I have 1,25´wheel spacers to avoid that but they would make my Jeep look so wide and would have to use like 8,5" fender flares to try to cover those huge tyres. Are you rubbing the swaybar too? disconnected or connected? I would like to learn form your experience. Thank you.
No rubbing here, but I have an extra 3/4" of backspacing. It's never been close either.

You say your are rubbing on the sway bar. Is that connected or discoed?

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2008, 03:46 AM   #47
OscarBlackTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089 View Post
No rubbing here, but I have an extra 3/4" of backspacing. It's never been close either.

You say your are rubbing on the sway bar. Is that connected or discoed?
I have not tried yet off-road but without 1,25" wheel spacers rubbing the sway bar on maximum turn and flex is 100% sure. There is only about less than 1/2 inch gap. I do not have the quicker disco´s yet and if I use the wheel spacers I definitely cannot go legal here. Too wide. I will be dissappointed ($$$) if I have to think of a new suspension system 4" as this does not seem to be enough?

What do you mean you have 3/4" extra BS? Do you use wheel spacers too? Your rims claim 3,25BS and mine 4". sorry I do not get it.
JKS 1,25BL+1BMML combo and Quicker Discos,
OME steering stabilizer, AA transfercase bracket
33x12.5R15 Cooper STT on black 15x8 Cragar Soft
OscarBlackTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #48
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarBlackTJ View Post
I have not tried yet off-road but without 1,25" wheel spacers rubbing the sway bar on maximum turn and flex is 100% sure. There is only about less than 1/2 inch gap. I do not have the quicker disco´s yet and if I use the wheel spacers I definitely cannot go legal here. Too wide. I will be dissappointed ($$$) if I have to think of a new suspension system 4" as this does not seem to be enough?

What do you mean you have 3/4" extra BS? Do you use wheel spacers too? Your rims claim 3,25BS and mine 4". sorry I do not get it.
I sent you a PM.

But also to add, I always disconnect offroad so there's nothing to rub and the suspension can fully cycle. It makes the ride a lot better and the jeep much more stable.

I'm surprised that you could rub your stock swaybars offroad though. If you're only rubbing them at full turn during a bit of slow rock crawling, I woulnd't worry about it. On road would be more of a concern.

What I would try if I were you, is take a wrench with you and disconnect the stock swaybar with a hammer and see if it's a problem. And if you could post up pictures or describe where the stock swaybars are rubbing, that would be good too.

Honestly though, rubbing is only a huge concern is there's enough pressure to either bind the suspension or break something. On road, rubbing can be an issue. Before adding my adj. trackbar, my stock tires rubber the inner sidewall on the frame. It didn't take long to notice. Imagine what would have happened if I let the sidewall of the tire continually wear away as it spun.

So, it really depends on what's going on and how severe it is. A little rubbing in some situations isn't worth worrying about.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #49
Blue84JeepCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Ok guys, time for new tires! These tires have served me well and I will get more. However, I was thinking size. I currently have 12.50s on 15x10 rims. Would 11.50s be as good with less tire on pavement? Anyone have profile pics?
Blue84JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #50
Blue84JeepCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue84JeepCJ7 View Post
According to this pics date, it was 22 June 06

Well, I decided to purchase new tires for my CJ and hold off on the TJ for now.

32 x 11.50 x 15

Man, what a ride, much better than the 35's that were on it.

1987 TH700R4 "K" Case
32x11.5x15 Cooper ATs
3" Body Lift
Be-Cool Radiator
Black Magic 175 Cooling Fan

Blue Jeep Club Member #212
Unread 05-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #51
LC77cj5
1977 CJ5 

I have a set on my truck and love them. They ride good, the noise level is not bad and are great offroad. I will be buying another set for sure.
LC77cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #52
Blue84JeepCJ7
1984 CJ7 

About 45,000 miles on this set, time for some more. In my original post, back in 08, I paid what? $675? Now they want Almost $1,000....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r
1987 TH700R4 "K" Case
32x11.5x15 Cooper ATs
3" Body Lift
Be-Cool Radiator
Black Magic 175 Cooling Fan

Blue Jeep Club Member #212
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #53
HK_Runner
2014 JK Wrangler 

The MTRs do very well on pavement and offroad, but even the C-rated ones have incredibly stiff sidewalls. I am running them at 24 PSI, and 10 PSI offroad. May be looking at something a bit less stiff...like the STTs or KM2s next time. I just hope their sidewalls are decently tough.
HK_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #54
11B-33T
Grumpy vet

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue84JeepCJ7 View Post
About 45,000 miles on this set, time for some more. In my original post, back in 08, I paid what? $675? Now they want Almost $1,000....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r
Hey, Cooper Inc. has to pony up to cover their employees for Obama-care!!

Seriously, glad to see the tires lasted five years w/45k miles but shocked too by the jump in prices!

BTW, your CJ is gorgeous dude.
11B-33T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #55
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

The STT came out in late 2003 or early 2004. I bought a set of 285/70-17s in late 2004 so I was literally the first person in my area to have them. I paid $850 for the set back then. The price hasn't gone up at all in 10 years around here. It's still a great tire for the money.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #56
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

All tire prices go up being our imported oil prices go up for almost any reason . Shame we can't produce enough of our own to tell the foreigners what they can do with there's
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #57
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
All tire prices go up being our imported oil prices go up for almost any reason . Shame we can't produce enough of our own to tell the foreigners what they can do with there's
Producing enough oil is not the problem. The oil companies could easily produce enough. The problem is the government not wanting to. Obama wouldn't even sign off on an oil pipeline to transport the oil. So we are left with slow, old train cars to move the oil instead of a nice fast pipeline. Then of course their is the fact that there are not enough refineries and the gov won't allow more to be built, and of course there is the fact that they don't want anyone to drill for oil. Not that I think oil companies should have free reign either though.

So in the end its not a matter of oil production, but a matter of politics. But yeah, a big reason for all prices increase is the cost of oil. Its used in everything from making fertilizers to grow the crops for food to the tires we drive.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #58
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
Producing enough oil is not the problem. The oil companies could easily produce enough. The problem is the government not wanting to. Obama wouldn't even sign off on an oil pipeline to transport the oil. So we are left with slow, old train cars to move the oil instead of a nice fast pipeline. Then of course their is the fact that there are not enough refineries and the gov won't allow more to be built, and of course there is the fact that they don't want anyone to drill for oil. Not that I think oil companies should have free reign either though.

So in the end its not a matter of oil production, but a matter of politics. But yeah, a big reason for all prices increase is the cost of oil. Its used in everything from making fertilizers to grow the crops for food to the tires we drive.
Either way when you are all said and done and the song and dance is over..... the short version remains " we cant produce the oil " For what ever interpretation of "CAN'T " each one of us chooses.
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.