Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx/Jeep LJ Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx/Jeep LJ Rubicon

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
loudscout
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx/Jeep LJ Rubicon

Just replaced factory goodyear 245 75 r16 E load MT/r on 06 LJ Rubicon. Put on a RE 2.25 BB and recently 265 75 r16, E load cooper discoverer st maxx tires on stock MOAB rims.

Having gone to jeep forum to research tires i thought I would share my thoughts about the cooper st maxx on a jeep as there is not much info out there on this tire as it is somewhat new.

1st impression of tire at shop, compared Cooper Discoverer ST maxx 265 75 r16 to Cooper Discover at3 285 75 r16, not mounted, just side by side. St maxx in 265 75 r16 is very close to the same size (height & width) as at3 in 285 75 r16. I think the the ST Maxx runs big in the 265 75 r16 size.

Also looked at Goodyear duratrac in 265 75 r16. Nice tire too, although the coopers st maxx in person to me have a nicer look and build, very solid. I did not get to do a side by side comparison between st maxx and duratrac for size although i have read the duratracs runs short. St. maxx and duratrac tread depth appeared about equal to me.

Ride on Jeep LJ: These cooper st maxx are quiet! They look like they would be loud due to aggressive tread, but they are not, yet anyway.... As far as ride quality, compared to stock goodyear mt/r E loads, the coopers are much smoother. I have coopers inflated to 32psi rear, 34psi front presently.

As far as reading about E load tires and harsh ride on light jeeps, i don't feel a harsh ride with the cooper st maxx on my LJ. Could be that I have RE mono-tube shocks, but had those shocks with mt/r and ride was more harsh.

Will give update about cooper st maxx on jeep lj rubicon as i drive them if anyone is interested.

loudscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
WXman
2001 WJ 

I just bought a Cooper ST MAXX in 285/75-16 to use as a 5th wheel/tire. The ST MAXX runs BIG. It was almost a half inch taller than my Falkens in the same size, wider, and a LOT heavier. The 285/75-16 ST MAXX tipped the scales at around 67 lbs.!!! Holy CRAP.

So, I immediately returned it and I'm getting a tire that doesn't feel like it's got lead and concrete inside. It's a shame, because I did like the tread pattern and I'm a Cooper tires fan.. but that's just too much weight for a Jeep.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
xjknight
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Please if you can keep up on this review through every terrain you encounter.. It would be greatly appreciated.. As you stated E rated tire so it keeps alot of most jeep model owners away thus never seeing any reviews on the tire. Four Wheeler and Cooper Tire had a review on them but it was only to there offroad application using a Cherokee, never anything on road. As well as no offroad snow testing
Unread 05-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
loudscout
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well I don't have a weight on the ST Maxx in 265 75 r16. I can tell you that I have not noticed any power loss while driving on the street or getting up to hwy speed. If they are heavier, the 265's on moabs feel good to me. I would assume if you put lighter tires on heavier steel wheels you would also have a heavy tire/wheel combo compared to the weight of st maxx on stock moabs. Also since tires appear to run large, perhaps you can drop down a size to save weight if that is a concern.

Two things to report additionally on these tires-gas milage has improved slightly since ditching worn out mtr's, despite the coopers being larger (I would guess because mt/r were wearing flat and riding w/large contact area, also making them very loud). Also the coopers grip very well on wet pavement. I will be running this jeep mostly on sand, small rock/pebble/shells and light mud so I will let you know how the st maxx perform. I expect them to hold up very well to sharp shells and hidden debris in sand with their armour tech 3 construction.
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Where are the pictures??
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
WXman
2001 WJ 

The original stock Moab wheels are forged alloy and are about 30 lbs. each. They are some of the heaviest stock wheels that have ever been used on a Jeep. Your ST MAXX tires are in the neighborhood of 60 lbs. each...maybe a little more. So you're setup is going about 90-95 lbs. per corner. That's a crap-TON of weight for a Jeep. I'll bet you've just gotten used to the terrible fuel economy and performance. A lightweight combo would shock you at how well it would drive.

In any case, I apologize for hi-jacking your thread. The Cooper ST MAXX does look like an excellent tire and I am waiting to hear how they wear and perform for you over the months. Keep us posted. Like I said, I'm a big Cooper tires fan and it's great when we buy U.S. tires from a U.S. company.
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
Unread 05-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
loudscout
2006 LJ Wrangler 

no worries about the weight discussion on the coopers, that is why we post here, to discuss issues to help other jeepers make choices for their rig. You are going to make me research the weight of these tires because now i am curious just how heavy they could be as compared to other e load tires.

To me, owning a jeep wrangler, mpg was never expected to be good. Now mpg relative to all jeeps is subjective to your needs and how you drive. I don't drive more than 50 miles a week for commute, drive no more than 60-65mph max on hwy.

As far as performance on road w/the coopers, I feel the ride is as good or better than when my jeep was stock. Perhaps the new shocks help, but I can't complain with that considering a have 2.25bb and 265 75 r16 tires (which prob measure a true 32").

I really like the coopers so far, they are appear to be made solid, and will hopefully last a long time. And yes I do agree I like supporting products made in usa whenever I can.

I will try to post a pic link in the near future, if i can figure out how.
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
loudscout
2006 LJ Wrangler 

OK, did a quick search on weight for these cooper st maxx, according to discount tire zone they have the following weights listed for cooper tires:

Cooper ST MAXX: 265 75 r16 E = 54lbs, 285 75 r16 E = 61lbs

Cooper AT3: 265 75 r16 E = 50lbs, C = 46lbs

Cooper STT: 265 75 r16 E = 53lbs, 285 75 r16 D = 56lbs
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
loudscout
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Oh, and here are some pictures of Jeep LJ Rubicon w/4 wheel customs 2.25BB, RE mono tubes and Cooper ST MAXX 265 75 r16 E if this link works. Hopefully its ok to post it here.

http://s1158.photobucket.com/albums/...3DJeepPics.jpg
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudscout View Post
OK, did a quick search on weight for these cooper st maxx, according to discount tire zone they have the following weights listed for cooper tires:

Cooper ST MAXX: 265 75 r16 E = 54lbs, 285 75 r16 E = 61lbs

Cooper AT3: 265 75 r16 E = 50lbs, C = 46lbs

Cooper STT: 265 75 r16 E = 53lbs, 285 75 r16 D = 56lbs

I can attest to the fact that those listed weights for the MAXX are wrong. I personally put 'em on the scales. The 285/75-16 version goes about 67 lbs. and the 265/75-16 version is in the low 60s.

The STT weights listed are also not correct. The STT is a 3-ply tire with the same basic construction as the MAXX and the weights are similar on them.

They are some HEAVY sob's... but they are awesome American tires.
Unread 05-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
loudscout
2006 LJ Wrangler 

As a follow up on performance of the coopers on wet roads, it rained here in ny HEAVY this week and ST MAXX gripped very well on hwy. They were excellent at pushing water and keeping contact w/road. New rubber compound appears to be as advertised and very sticky on wet surfaces. Plenty of siping throughout treads must help as well. So far great aggressive all terrain so far..
Unread 06-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
loudscout
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Had jeep out on the beach recently, coopers did very well. Better traction on sand then old GY MT/R. Like the ST Maxx treat pattern and also extra grip on sidewall. Did not even need to air down to get good traction on the soft stuff. Got almost 2k miles on them now-no treadwear yet.

Also have noticed my jeep parked next to other vehicles with various brand265/75/r16 tires and 285/75r16 tires and the coopers appear to be much closer in size to the 285's. Definitely think they run big.
Unread 10-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
P NUT

Now that you've had this for a few months, any updates? How is it wearing? Any issues while off road?
P NUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #14
cdnabn49
2004 TJ Wrangler 

well my 33" BFG MT's finally got a little to long in the tooth for comfort and with winter on it's way up here I didn't want to chance it on the Rubi this year... I have to say that the old Mt's sure taught you how to drive... after reading a great deal of information on the internet I decided that we all have some favorite's... I am a MT fan even for winters up here in Canuckistan... but with having to commute more then double the hwy time now I wanted something a little more stable and I am doing more blacktop and gravel then muck so it was a real toss up between the GY DuraTrac's and the Cooper St Maxx...and the winner is - Cooper ST Maxx! I really think I made the right decision - I love the ride and feel of the tires and they look great. I can't get over how quiet they are - again coming from a MT.

*Image: Copyright 2012 RoadTraveler.net/J. Langan*
pa240023.jpg  
Unread 10-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
loudscout
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I agree, these tires are very quiet. Have around 4k miles now, only slight humm, almost wish they were a little more noisy.

No problems to report. Waiting on snow for more updates, but it feels like 70 degrees in late october, so may be awhile.

Definitely do not regret getting these tires in load E. Ride fine on road, comfortable feel, and added protection of extra plys/armor technology a plus.

Was recently parked by jeep w/cooper at3's in 265/75/r16 and the maxx's in same size definitely appear to be about .5" wider tread. Also have not seen the st. maxx tire on another vehicle yet, guess they are somewhat unknown. Too bad, they do perform well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.