Cooper Discoverer ST - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Cooper Discoverer ST

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
mossman07
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Cooper Discoverer ST

hey im curious as to what you guys thought about the cooper discoverer st as i am planning on buying a set this week...and if you could pics of them on ur jeep would be greatly appreciated thank you

Unread 02-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

STT's are better and not much more, I'd go with them.
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
STT's are better and not much more, I'd go with them.
Better? No - They're different. The ST is a hybrid between a mud and all terrain while the STT is a mud tire. If he uses his Jeep for daily driving and mostly pavement - the ST is a better choice because he'll get better MPG. If he uses the Jeep for at least 50% off-roading, then go with the STT.

As far as Cooper (in general) I like them because they are made in the USA and they make so many other company's tires, it would seem that they know what they're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Douglas S.

Came with mine when I bought it

They are actually good tires. Not too aggressive, but still better than your typical AT offroad.
Unread 02-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
jumpn4jesus

Have you checked out www.treadwright.com? They have great quality tires and have really cheap prices. Im getting a set soon. At least check em out!
jumpn4jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
mossman07
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yeah my jeep is a daily driver but i take it out on some weekends. I was looking at the bfg all terrains but i wanted a tire that i could go mudding in so the bfg were pretty much out of the question. the st looks like it could handle itself pretty well in mud. would you guys agree
Unread 02-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Mossman, in your situation, I'd go with the ST tires.

Quote:
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Unread 02-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

STs are great tires on the road and do very well off-road in everything except the nasty mud.

I have since upgraded because they were balding, and I went with the STT.
4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
1996BlackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I owned Cooper ST and they do NOT look like the tires in your photos.

The tires in your photos look like excellent aggressive AT tires or hybrid tires, but they do NOT look like the Cooper ST I had, nor the STT. What tires are in your photo? They look awesome and I might want to own some someday.

Edited in later: OK, I figured out that you have Dunlop Radial Rover RT. I love that tire, except for one thing. It has a very limited selection of sizes, especially in R15. A great tire. I just wish more sizes made, especially in load range C. It's actually my all time favorite hybrid tire (AT/MT hybrid), but with the very limited size choices, I seldom recommend it to anyone. However, if available in a size a guy wants, it's probably the most versatile all purpose performer made, IMO, with only the Cepek FC2 coming close to it's all purpose versatility.

If a guy wants a 235/75R15 tire, I would highly recommend the Dunlop Radial Rover RT. However, I'm not aware of them making any other R15 sizes. Do they?

So outside of 235/75R15, I'd recommend (in order from least to most aggressive) the BFG AT, D!ck Cepek FC2, and Mastercraft Courser CT.

Note that the FC2 and CT are Cooper brands, and share the same carcass as the ST, but with different tread. The CT is very ST like, but with better center treads and better siping, IMO. So if you like the ST, you'll very likely like the CT even better. As an added bonus, the CT costs less than the ST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
Came with mine when I bought it

They are actually good tires. Not too aggressive, but still better than your typical AT offroad.

Last edited by CB3; 02-21-2009 at 07:32 PM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My Cooper ST were excellent in mud sand. OK to good in loose deep snow.

However, they were miserably bad on packed snow and ice, until I had extra sipes added to center treads. Then they were OK on snow and ice with the extra sipes, but still nothing to brag on for winter use.

They were good on wet and dry pavement, aside from making a little more noise than a BFG AT, but less noise than a mud tire.

Overall, the Cooper ST was a great tire for me for everything, except winter conditions and gas mileage.

As for gas mileage, well mine sucked with 285/75R16 Cooper ST on 16" rims. However, after switching to 15" rims and BFG AT 33X10.5R15 tires, my gas mileage went up several mpg. The BFG AT also do much better in winter conditions. On sand the performance is equally excellent. In mud, my BFG AT aren't to bad IMO, but are no where near as mud capable as the Cooper ST was. I enjoy the BFG AT being quieter and riding smoother.

Even so, I think the ideal choice is the Cepek FC2, if it's made in a size and width that you want. I opted for the BFG AT because it's made in my favorite size (33X10.5R15) and the FC2 isn't. Size matters, including width, and for my needs a 10.5" wide tire is ideal. So I went with BFG AT this time and am glad I did.

Last edited by CB3; 02-21-2009 at 07:33 PM..
Unread 02-23-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
mossman07
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i have my coopers ordered already and also my 4 inch lift should be installed by saturday...cant wait!
Unread 02-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #12
MC_NickP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpn4jesus View Post
Have you checked out www.treadwright.com? They have great quality tires and have really cheap prices. Im getting a set soon. At least check em out!
dude, thats crazy. 80 bucks for a mud tire!
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #178

build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...4/#post9499802
MC_NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #13
Douglas S.

That's interesting, I always thought the Radial Rover's were exactly the same as the ST's. Now that I look closer, they are very similar, but not identical (I imagine they are both made by cooper).

ST

Radial Rover
Unread 02-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #14
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Actually, that Radial Rover looks a lot like the **** Cepek Fun Country II

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #15
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Dunlop Radial Rover RT are made by Dunlop. Cooper does own a lot of subsidiary brands, but as far as I'm aware, Dunlop is not a Cooper brand.

I'm semi-confident that Dunlop has nothing to do with Cooper. Though I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. If so, I welcome that since I like to know these things.

I think the reason the Dunlop RT look slightly similar to the Cooper ST is that both of them are hybrid style tires. i.e. - a hybrid (cross breed) between AT and MT style tread. I love hybrid tires. They're awesome.

The D!ck Cepek FC2 is another hybrid tire, and it is related to Cooper and the Cooper ST because Cooper owns D!ck Cepek. The FC2 and ST share the same carcass, though their treads are a lot different, IMO. The Mastercraft Courser CT is another hybrid tire that is related to Cooper ST because Cooper owns Mastercraft. The CT has outer tread lugs that are identical to the ST, but the CT has more and smaller center tread blocks with more sipes (rather like the Dunlop RT).

Of all these hybrids, the Cepek FC2, Mastercraft CT, and Dunlop RT are my personal favorites because they have more small center treadblocks and many sipes to make them perform better on winter roads than the ST does. The FC2 has stone kickers that help break mud suction and so help clean out mud from outer treads, the CT and RT have aggressively spaced outer treads to help clean out mud, and the ST has both stone kickers and aggressive outer treads to make it good in mud, but it lacks the many small siped center treads that make for good performance on packed snow and ice.

i.e. - the ST is the best of the hybrids in mud, but the worst on winter roads. However, adding extra sipes to center treads will help on winter roads. All the other hybrids are good to excellent on winter roads, and all are excellent in sand, IMO.

The FC2, CT, and RT are the best all around performers, IMO. Of those, the FC2 and RT are my all around favorites.

After thought: The Dean SXT is another good hybrid (Dean is another Cooper subsidiary brand) and so is the Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip.

Also, you can make any less aggressive mud tire into a hybrid by adding sipes to the center treads. This is very effective if there are many small center treads. If there are few, large center treads (like an ST) then the siping won't turn it into a great winter tire, but will help it be an OK winter tire.

Unfortunately, all brands of hybrid tires are plagued by a lack of size selections.
That's why I'm running BFG AT right now, even though I prefer hybrid treads. The BFG AT has more size selections - and size matters most IMO. I like the 33 X 10.5 R15 and no hybrids are made in that size. Until someone makes a hybrid in that size, I'm sticking with my BFG AT.

If the OP bought the ST, I strongly recommend having extra sipes added to the center treads to give them a fighting chance on packed snow and ice. With the extra sipes they'll be OK on winter roads. Without the extra sipes, they'll be slick as snot on packed snow and ice. I know because I owned ST for my prior set of tires. That's if the OP drives in winter conditions. If he does not drive in winter conditions, then don't bother adding extra sipes.

Last edited by CB3; 02-24-2009 at 04:16 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.