Cooper Discoverer AT3 - OWL or Black pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Cooper Discoverer AT3 - OWL or Black pics

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
ozmanyyy

Cooper Discoverer AT3 - OWL or Black pics

Hi guys,

I'm planning on getting a set of these installed tomorrow. After the awful Courser MT's, I think an AT is best suited for me. I only go wheeling about 6-10 times a year and I can't justify having a lousy ride for the other 90% of my driving.

They seem to only come in OWL. To me they look pretty symmetrical so I think its ok to install the white letters facing in. Can anyone confirm ?

Anyone have some pics mounted on your rig either way for comparison purposes, I'm still undecided.

Thanks Much
Oz

ozmanyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
WXman
2001 WJ 

I'll get you some pics of my 265/70s on the 4Runner this afternoon. I think with this tire, black sidewall looks a lot better. I don't like serrated letters.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
ozmanyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
I'll get you some pics of my 265/70s on the 4Runner this afternoon. I think with this tire, black sidewall looks a lot better. I don't like serrated letters.
Great Thanks!

But still wondering, since my size only comes in OWL, is it ok to just have them mounted facing in ?

Looking forward to the pics.

Thanks Again
Oz
Unread 09-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
WXman
2001 WJ 

Mounted my white letters in. Black wall looks pretty sharp on this tire. I'd like to have had a little more sidewall tread, but I guess you can't have everything.
imag1743.jpg   imag1742.jpg   imag1741.jpg  
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
Unread 09-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
ozmanyyy

Quote:
Mounted my white letters in. Black wall looks pretty sharp on this tire. I'd like to have had a little more sidewall tread, but I guess you can't have everything.

Excellent, thanks. I did the black.

Oz
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
WXman
2001 WJ 

Just curious... how much weight did they have to put on yours to balance them? That's my only real complaint with them so far...they seem to be hard to balance. I've read a lot of threads where other people had trouble balancing them also.
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
ozmanyyy

I get them mounted today, so I'll find out.

Thanks
Unread 09-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
tylert6785

I don't mean to jack the thread, but what Load Range did you get them in? I plan on getting some AT/3's for my 2007 WK, I might tow an aluminum bass boat a few times a year, that's about it for any extra weight added... Do you think I'll be fine with the SL rating?
tylert6785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #9
WXman
2001 WJ 

On a Jeep, you'll surpass the capacity of your axles and suspension before you surpass the capacity of a "P" rated tire. So I'd go with "P" to save the gas and cost.
Unread 09-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #10
ozmanyyy

Quote:
Just curious... how much weight did they have to put on yours to balance them? That's my only real complaint with them so far...they seem to be hard to balance. I've read a lot of threads where other people had trouble balancing them also.
Each tire has a 2 oz weight.

I won't give a "review" after only a few hundred miles. But what a difference from my MT's. These are so smooth and quiet and give a great ride. I was wavering a little bit, but I'm really glad I went with an AT.

Oz
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmanyyy View Post
Each tire has a 2 oz weight.

I won't give a "review" after only a few hundred miles. But what a difference from my MT's. These are so smooth and quiet and give a great ride. I was wavering a little bit, but I'm really glad I went with an AT.

Oz
Agree 100%. I went from a MT to these ATs on my 4Runner pictured above and it's night and day. Quiet...more quiet than I expected actually. Smooth now that the shop took a second crack at balancing them. Gas mileage has already rebounded. I'm just very happy. I think I'll stick with ATs forever.

Can't wait to see how these do in the rain/snow/ice of winter.
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
WXman
2001 WJ 

As far as balancing goes, here is an email I got from Cooper. I did not see any dots on my tires at all, though I have seen them on other brands.

"You may see a red dot on some tires manufactured. The red dots are located at the 'high point' for radial run out.

You may also notice a yellow dot. Yellow dots on tires can be used by dealers to help match-mount tires to rims. The yellow dot should be aligned with the valve stem on both steel and aluminum wheels since this is the wheel's heavy balance point. This helps to minimize the amount of weight needed to balance a tire and wheel assembly. Although this marking is used to initially line up the valve stem to start the match mounting procedure, the yellow dot does not necessarily end up matched after the weights are added, it is a 'starting point' only.

Please note that on wheels that have TPMS sensors on the valve stems it might be a good idea to spot the yellow high point dot 180° from the valve stem for the lowest balancing weight.

Certain conditions, like a tire being out of round, are covered during the first 2/32nds of tread wear. If a tire is manufactured ‘out of round’ it is an adjustable condition and is covered under warranty. If you feel that you have an out of round tire, please return to your dealer to have them replace the tire under warranty."
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #13
ozmanyyy

Quote:
As far as balancing goes, here is an email I got from Cooper. I did not see any dots on my tires at all, though I have seen them on other brands.

"You may see a red dot on some tires manufactured. The red dots are located at the 'high point' for radial run out.

You may also notice a yellow dot. Yellow dots on tires can be used by dealers to help match-mount tires to rims. The yellow dot should be aligned with the valve stem on both steel and aluminum wheels since this is the wheel's heavy balance point. This helps to minimize the amount of weight needed to balance a tire and wheel assembly. Although this marking is used to initially line up the valve stem to start the match mounting procedure, the yellow dot does not necessarily end up matched after the weights are added, it is a 'starting point' only.

Please note that on wheels that have TPMS sensors on the valve stems it might be a good idea to spot the yellow high point dot 180° from the valve stem for the lowest balancing weight.

Certain conditions, like a tire being out of round, are covered during the first 2/32nds of tread wear. If a tire is manufactured ‘out of round’ it is an adjustable condition and is covered under warranty. If you feel that you have an out of round tire, please return to your dealer to have them replace the tire under warranty."

Interesting, I didn't really notice any dots but I wasn't looking for them. I will take a look.
Unread 09-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
11B-33T
Grumpy vet

2004 WJ 

Late to the party but I'm disappointed no one posted a pic of the AT3 with OWL for you to compare to BW.

I know the OP trigger's been pulled so for the others who may ask the question later..

11B-33T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I think with this tire, black sidewall looks a lot better. I don't like serrated letters.
Agreed. I have white letters out, but not by my choosing. The tire store chose for me without asking me.

Black letters out looks better with this tire, IMO.

But it's a personal preference for each person.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.