Cooper AT3 vs General Grabber AT2 vs BFG AT - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Cooper AT3 vs General Grabber AT2 vs BFG AT

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cooper AT3 vs General Grabber AT2 vs BFG AT

I want to learn about the Cooper AT3. I just heard of this tire. I am excited that it comes in 30x9.5R15.

What are the pros and cons of this tire?

How does it perform in various conditions on and off road?

How does it compare to General Grabber AT2 and BFG AT?

Note: I am referring to the new, improved, updated version of General Grabber AT2 that was released several months ago.

Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
CoastieShep
2001 WJ 

I have the Coopers on mine, and I love them. They do good in sand for being skinny and running road pressures. Nice and quiet on the road, great on wet roads, good (for an AT) in the mud, and climb sandy and packed clay good too. Don't' know how they do in the snow and ice though. I did have the BFG AT KO's on a pickup when I was up in Alaska, and loved them on the snow and ice. Never ran the Generals though.
CoastieShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

All 3 tires are rated as Winter traction devices and excellent on snow and ice.

The Cooper AT3 has silica in tread and is reputed to perform even better than BFG AT on Winter roads.

The Grabber AT2 has softer tread rubber and lots of sipes and performs even better than BFG AT on Winter roads.

Grabber AT2 has super strong sidewalls and is an extra tough tire. It won't get flats. However, this makes it ride rough.

For ride quality (soft ride) tge BFG AT and Cooper AT3 are excellent.

The BFG AT and Grabber AT2 pick up a lot of gravel. The BFG sometimes retains the gravel until you pry it out with a screw driver. The Grabber AT2 picks up gravel and then promptly flings it out at high speed, which is annoying but harmless if you have mud flaps to protext your rocker panels and doors.

The Cooper AT3 is designed to NOT pick up gravel.

I think the Grabber AT2 is the best AT for hardcore off road activities, and the BFG AT and Cooper AT3 are the most civilized on highway and on gravel roads. I think the Cooper AT3 is the best combination of on and off road manners and capabilities.

I have owned 2 sets of BFG AT, and I recently purchased a set of the new, improved, updated Grabber AT2. I miss the BFG AT soft ride quality, but I like the Grabber AT2 off road prowess.

I wish I had bought Cooper AT3 because it would be a nice compromise. It is an excellent middle-medium choice between the other two. IMO
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
11B-33T
Grumpy vet

2004 WJ 

I just stumbled on this thread and hope to update it with my limited data on the Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires in 265/70/R16 (SUV application) I just had installed:

I replaced the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO that the PO already had when I bought my Jeep two years ago. They had worn down to the wear bars and I rarely hits any trails of note as she pretty much only sees the streets/hwy. I had no complaints about the BFGs which rode good, were decently quiet (the wife dislikes the hum tho) and they're damn expensive! I wanted to try a more modern AT and read countless threads and forums on the different types of AT tires, but most didn't give enough info for a real good comparison as [U]everyone[U] drives their Jeep differently in all kinds of terrain and conditions. I'm no exception either folks!

My Jeep is a 2wd (gasp) with a modest 2" BB that spends most of her time navigating in the city and occasional forays down a tank trail or two with detours around gasp x2 the few mud holes I encounter here in AZ!

Back on track, coming from worn noisy tires, these Cooper AT3 tires are riding well, quiet & plush, but you'd expect that from new tires. I have received a few compliments as they're not too common a sight on lifted vehicles here in my AO.

One gent stopped walking by in the commissary parking lot to chat about them as he was looking to put new shoes on his 2006 Rubicon and liked the AT3 looks. He was impressed to hear about their 55K warranty, 560 TW etc, and the only were +/- $160 depending on the size.

I'll update my historical data on here as time goes on as I'm keeping a journal on these tires so I can contribute 'factual' input down the line instead the un-useful "I love my AT3s because I just spent $800 on new tires and I'll never go back to insert brand-name" posts.
11B-33T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm totally sold on Cooper AT3. Will get some soon on my XJ. Might even put them on my Buick Park Ave full size luxury car too (since available in size that fits, quiet, good ride, and good price.

Edited in Later: Still like Cooper AT3, but now like Hercules AT2 best.

Basically same tire IMO, but different tread pattern. Both same or comparable in all ways except two, IMO.

Cooper AT3 is excellent in mud (for an AT) while Hercules AT2 is excellent on ice (for an AT).

That's probably because Cooper AT3 has larger voids and Hercules AT2 has twice as many sipes.

Ice traction is more important to me than mud traction. Both tires are good on snow, but Hercules better on packed snow.

That is based on my experiences with Cooper and reports I've read on both Cooper and Hercules.
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
sjc115

@Charley3: Did you ever get the Cooper AT3's? How do they compare to the General AT2?
sjc115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

General AT2 and BFG KO are old technology. Older than a lot of members of this forum. The General wears like iron and is a good, dependable, rugged tire. It does well in dirt and on pavement. It's not terrible in rain. But it sucks in snow and mud. It'll get you no where in those terrains. The Cooper AT3 is brand new technology. Silica compound, circumferential grooves, stepped siping, terraced tread blocks, the whole nine yards. It will out perform any All-Terrain tire on the market and it's less expensive to buy also.

The Hercules Terra-Trac AT2 is the cousin of the Cooper, and it has a slightly better tread design and it is often times even less expensive, but if you can't find it go with the Cooper. Better traction, better price, better warranty, better fuel economy. Why would you buy another tire?
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
The General wears like iron and is a good, dependable, rugged tire. It does well in dirt and on pavement. It's not terrible in rain. But it sucks in snow and mud. It'll get you no where in those terrains.
nowhere = 50 miles a day in 6-8" of snow/ice with no slipping.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #9
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
nowhere = 50 miles a day in 6-8" of snow/ice with no slipping.
You must have found the set that has magical unicorns molded into the sidewalls. The entire internet is loaded with complaints about mud/snow performance with these interlocked tread pattern tires. And I have run BFGs and Generals both more than once and they sucked in the snow. They wouldn't even grab taking turns at low speed in 2" of powder. Just awful.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

General Grabber AT2 are Winter rated and widely reviewed to be good on snow and ice. I never had opportunity to try mine on much.

The thing I didn't like about GGAT2 was the extremely rough ride. That's why I switched to Cooper AT3.

The thing I liked best about GGAT2 was they are large for a 30 x 9.5 R15. Also large in 31 x 10.5 5R15. And they're exceptionally light too.
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #11
sjc115

Charley3: Now that you have had them for a while, what do you like and dislike about the Discoverer? Particularly off road.
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc115 View Post
Charley3: Now that you have had them for a while, what do you like and dislike about the Discoverer? Particularly off road.
The Discoverer AT3 is a great all around tire and has an exceptionally comfortable ride for a C rated off road tire. It's very capable in mud (for an AT), but slick on ice (not enough sipes). Good on snow and all else.

If you don't get much ice, get Cooper AT3. If you do get frequent ice, get Hercules AT2 or Hankook ATM. The Hercules AT2 has same comfy ride as Cooper AT3.

IMO
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
sjc115

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

P.S. - the extra sipes on Hercules AT2 and Hank ATM also give them a slight advantage on wet pavement during hard cornering or panic stops.

During normal driving on wet pavement you wouldn't notice a difference between Cooper AT3 vs Hercules AT2 or Hankook ATM.

On dry pavement, I think the Cooper AT3 would handle the best of those 3 because less sipes is an advantage on dry pavement during hard cornering or panic stop. Less sipes means less tread squirm (more stable tread blocks).
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #15
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
General Grabber AT2 are Winter rated and widely reviewed to be good on snow and ice.
Those are the special ordered AT2s with magic unicorn shoulder lugs.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.