Compatible Tire sizes for 2000 Cherokee Sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Compatible Tire sizes for 2000 Cherokee Sport

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-17-2008, 06:45 AM   #1
vodka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Compatible Tire sizes for 2000 Cherokee Sport

I've been searching the net in hopes to find a list of supported tire sizes [w/o any modifications] for my 2000 Jeep Cherokee.

It came stock with 225/75R15s and I need to get winter tires and found an affordable set of 215/75R15s.

I've seen other posts that show some of the Cherokees coming stock with 215s but I can't find any information on whether switching from 225s to 215s is going to cause any issues.

If anyone can point me to a resource or answer this I would be greatful. What would be a good size for a winter tire? (when I watch rally racing I see the cars using thinner tires in the snow - would the same principle apply?).

Thank you!

vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
aleydic
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thinner tires are much bettter and that tire size should work great for winter

until you change them thats all they will do..
aleydic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well skinny tires cut through the snow instead of floating on top. That's the reasoning behind that. The only thing that I can see that may be a problem is your speedometer might read a couple mph faster than you are actually traveling. That's no biggy though.
4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
1996BlackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
p2000sk
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My 2000 Sport came factory with 215's, I quickly replaced them to 225/75/R15 BFG All-Terrain. It seems like the tire selection at 225 is greater. NO ISSUES WITH ME CHANGING THE TIRE SIZE. I think your stuck on getting an answer about a great winter tire "size". I don't think you have much choice for a specific tire if your not changing the rims. Everyone is right, thinner is better for the snow and I have not had any issues. Then again you live in Canada and I New Jersey.
p2000sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
vodka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all your responses. Does that mean that if I get the 215/75/15 tires I cannot install them on my existing stock rims on which I have 225/75/15 tires and I need new rims?
vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
FransWhiteXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

To answer a few of your questions:

1. My '00 XJ's door jamb sticker states the stock tires are 215-75-15, but the Jeep came from the factory with the optional 225-75-15.

2. You can mount either tire on your rims (or buy dedicated rims (Soft-8s) for the winter tires>>that way you can change over spring-fall for free!!).

3. You won't have any problems switching tires. Smaller tires will make your speedo read "faster" and will numerically increase your axle ratio-better for towing, etc. In the winter, I run 225-75-16s snow tires ("borrowed" from my GMC full-size pick-up) on Soft-8s and the speedo is dead nuts compared to various GPS measurements.

4. Skinner tires are better for snow conditions, as stated above.

5. As far as snow tire selection, I am running Dean Wintercat SST studded snow tires (I snowplow with my XJ). They have awsome traction (even probably without studs). Dean tires are made by Cooper, but cost less. The Wintercats are a knock off of Cooper Discoverer M+S, which are highly rated in the snowplow industry. I used to run Dean Wintermaster Plus, (50,000 miles winter & SUMMER use), but they are no longer made in 225-75-16 size. Although I bought them local, check this link: http://www.vulcantire.com/privtire.htm

Fran

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.