comparo: Procomp AT vs BFG AT - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > comparo: Procomp AT vs BFG AT

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 09-04-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
5 speed

comparo: Procomp AT vs BFG AT

Went wheeling today with my new BFG ATs. Understand I live in Florida so the context is sand, folks. I found the BFGs to be more aggressive then the Pro comps and dig more in the sand. However, in wet conditions(remember still not mud or gumbo(clay type) mud, the BFGs performed much better. I went onto a flooded trail where basically the everglade type environment had taken over the swampside trail and, while it had a firm bottom, was navigated successfully.

I want to say that when it rains in Florida, it dumps rain and the roads become flooded. The procomps were very scary in these conditions. the bfgs were far superior (thankfully) as I was able to test that out on my way home going 70MPH

Here are my ratings (obviously there is no point in gauging the mud perfomance as we know its not best) My scale is one to ten. This is on a 2K TJ and size is 32" Procomp 33" BFG. Tire pressure both at 29PSI (yes I know you can get better sand performance with lower pressure but these are not sugar sand conditions so there is really no need)

Sand : Procomp 8.5 BFG 7

Wet Roads: Procomp 4 BFG 8

Dry Roads: Procomp 7 BFG 8.5

Flooded Roads(pooled water and the assoc pulling): Procomp 2 BFG 7

Wear Procomp: 3 (50% worn at 15K) BFG 9 (from ratings seen and prior exp)

Ride on road: Procomp 8.5 BFG 7

The BFGs are clearly the superior tire.

For normal trails such as rocks, roots, dry, semi dry, non sticky mud, the BFGs are an acceptable tire that does not offer all the sacrifices you exprience on road with a mud tire. I was actually looking for something other than the BFG and was leaning toward the Nitto Terra Grappler, however it seemed they would be too on road biased and didnt have the three ply sidewall.

In the end, I think what they say about the BFG being one of the best all around tires is true. I hit a stump about 8 inches tall about 30mph and it just bounced off as if it was nothing. I have blown out a sidewall this way on a no name mud terrain tire.

The quality of the tire is very evident much like putting on street tires that are good, and then switching to a set of Michelins which are superior.

5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
japes
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks alot. I also live in south Florida and I am beginning a restoration of my old college jeep. It's been sitting in Louisianna for the past 8 years after my little brother tore it up but I finally got it down here this weekend and I am ready to start working on it.

After reading all the tire reviews here I think I can cross tires off of my list of research. These look like what I need.
japes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
Daves98XJ

BFG is a great tire, they wear like steel. I got 60k out of a set on my dodge ram and still had some decent tread left
Surco roof rack 45x60 w J100 rail mounts
31x10.5 BFG MT KMs on 15x8 Black Rockcrawlers.
JKS Disconnects
Daves98XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
havin_a_ball

Thanks, I have been 2nd guessing my decision to get BFG AT's (which I love)

I looked in the quadratec magazine & didn't see them listed, so I assumed they must be inferior & was about to buy some super swampers.

I don't go mudding very often, but do go offraoding as much as I can
havin_a_ball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
RandyTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just went form BFG AT's to Pro Comp Xtreme AT's.
The BFG were fine...but I just wanted something different this time.

Did you have the Xteme At's or regular Pro Comps?
White 2005 LJ, Rubicon, Rubicon Express 3.5 SuperFlex, Goodyear 315/75/16 MTR's, Pro Comp 97 16x8 wheels, UCF Tummy Tuck, 1" Prothane BL, 1" JKS MML,Tereflex Disco's, 10,000 lb. winch. CB Radio, Fire Extinguister, Synthetic Fluids, Driving Lights....
1999 XJ 6.5 Lift, Rusty's Long Arm, Four Link Rear Suspension, ARB Lockers Front and Rear, Alloy Axles....
RandyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
Supersprynt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have been looking around for deals on tires, and came across a buy 3 get 1 free on Pro Comp tires at 4wheelonline.com.

This thread has been very helpful, but I still can't decide LOL!
31'' D!ck Cepek FCIIs
Supersprynt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

JUST FYI: Pro Comps are almost always on "sale" at buy 3 get 1 free. Marketing gimmic. Overprice your tires by 40% then give a 33% discount so they sound cheaper.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
Supersprynt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good to know, thanks.

I've pretty much decided on the BFG AT K/Os.
31'' D!ck Cepek FCIIs
Supersprynt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I like the All-terrains. good wear and tread life. no mud here, so I don't need them.

but I will say that what mud I do find cakes into the tread. and doesn't clean out very well.

but that's the only negative thing I can say about the All-Terrains. great tire all around. you never hear it humming on the road.
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.