Choosing new tires... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Choosing new tires...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 04-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
btfury
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Choosing new tires...

So I've currently got 32x11.5in BFG MTs on my XJ, and recently regeared to 4.56s. I want to step up to 33s but am having trouble deciding between BFG ATs and BFG KM2s, and have a few questions...

Would the ATs give me a little better mpg than the KM2s?

Would there be a noticeable difference in road noise between the ATs and KM2s?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Also, would 33x10.5s give me better mpg than 33x12.5s? (I'm not super concerned with gas mileage... I mean, it is a Jeep... but a few extra mpgs never hurt anyone)

Silver 2000 XJ Classic, NP 231, D30/Aussie, Chrysler 8.25, C4x4 Tow Hook Brackets, Optima Yellow Top, RE 4.5in SF and RE CA Drop Brackets, 32x11.5 BFG MT, RE HD Adj Trac Bar, OMEs, SYE and front DS, C-Rok Steering Brace, AJs Superrails, Precision 4.56s
btfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
xjthextremejeep

The km2s will be a little louder becuase of the more aggresive tread... they are still pretty quiet considering what they are. and becuase of the tread it will lower mpgs but not by much at all.. they will definitly make up for it off road tho
xjthextremejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
blackattak
2004 LJ Wrangler 

10.5s should give you a BIT better mpg than 12.5 (less friction better mpg) but I run the 10.5s right now & many on this site getting what I do for mpg with their 12.5s so doubt the diff is much. ATs bettter on road not nearly as good offroad so that is a personal question depending on what you will use it for, once again less friction so will be a bit quieter (think the new KM2s should be better than your old KMs) & a bit better on mpg.

I am currently waiting on my new Mickey MTZs as want to use the Jeep more offroad & wanted a more agressive look (MTZs are suppose to have good road manners & fairly quiet for a MT) while still being good onroad. It's all give & take like everything else in life.
2004 LJ- 33X12.5 Mickey MTZs, Mickey Classic II wheels, 4.88 Yukon Gears, 3" BDS SL, Rockhard Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier & Rockers. Oil Pan, Warn Gas Tank Skid. & Differentials armoured, Iggee Seat Covers, Warn M8000 winch.AEV TT & tranny skid, radiator & steering box skids
blackattak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
fatmanontwowhee
2004 TJ Wrangler 

X's two on the MTZ's. I was shocked at how quiet they are onroad. Have'nt had too much time offroad, but the are very good in the good ole Florida sand.
fatmanontwowhee is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.