Chalk test?? I'm not driving at 16 PSI!!! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Chalk test?? I'm not driving at 16 PSI!!!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #46
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I still don't understand why you guys think the OP did the test wrong.

Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #47
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorriver View Post
I still don't understand why you guys think the OP did the test wrong.
Because the 16 psi the chalk test was indicating to him is an unreasonble pressure to run his tires at. Fortunately he had the common sense to know 16 psi was inappropriate.

As I have said many times, the chalk test is responsible for many tires being run underfilled which causes them to run hotter... which is unsafe due to the greater potential for tire failure from an overheated tire.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 05:47 AM   #48
PredatorNC
2010 JK Wrangler 

<OP The chalk test interested me...that's why i tryed it. Even at 16 psi the chalk thru the center was worn off and the chalk on the outsides was worn, but not like the center, so i would guess that to get "the full contact" it would have been somewhere around 12 psi. I searched the forum for more info and didnt get a whole lot, thus i started this thread, if for nothing more than another post for noobs like myself that didn't know a whole lot about where they should sit with the air pressures. I would have no problem at all running 12 psi on the trail...i currently sit at 24 psi and its comfortable for me and my very stock TJ with no weight from aftermarket bumpers, spare tire and i have a soft top. One day when i have all that stuff then yeah, i may run another 2-4 psi....

Again, Thank you all for the imputs...more info here, less mistakes out there! lol
PredatorNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #49
tjtrucker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I run 26psi for my 33" duratracs, the very outer edge doesn't touch the road, but still has a good contact patch area, and the ride/control is very good
tjtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
33 , chalk , tire pressure

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.