Cant Remove Completely Stripped Lug Nut - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Cant Remove Completely Stripped Lug Nut

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
KrawlinAllOver
1997 ZJ 

Cant Remove Completely Stripped Lug Nut

I had my wheels and tires rotated not to long ago and now that im installing new tires and wheels i need to remove my wheels and on one of the wheels the lug nut is completely stripped out like u cant get it off with and tools. any ideas on how to get it off??

KrawlinAllOver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

I had the same problem after a trip to Les Schwabs, ended up using vise grips and pulling straight back while twisting side it side till I got some space then used a claw hammer to get more tension while twisting some more. Lots of sweating and cursing later I got it off. If that doesn't work you can always use a dremel and cut off wheel.
Unread 01-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Find a touch impact socket one or two sizes smaller that you aren't afraid to say good bye to. Smash it onto the nut with a hammer. Remove. If you put the socket in a vise you may be able to use a punch to knock it out.

I had to do that with my lug nuts that need a key...lost the key and they are 13/16" outer diameter for the regular nuts, so I used the 7/8" side of my tire iron and tapped in on and got them off, when I loosened them I wiggled the tire iron off the lug nut then unscrewed by hand.

Good luck.
4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
1996BlackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
Mooseknuckles
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If it's a 3/4 lugnut, grab an 18mm socket. basically do what blackxj said, pound it on and pray.
Mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

or you can take it to a discount tire, we have stuff designed for it, like taking off wheel locks that are perfectly smooth, and i think we would do it for free, but if you want to try it on your own, do what they said above and to get the lug out of the socket put it on the ground and hit it with a hammer on the side, do this a couple times and it should come out.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
Robyjuk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

go to you local autoparts store and see if they can get or sell you a locking wheek nut remover ,its basically a socket with a reverse thread in it that will bite into whats left and remove it, they sell them over here in the UK and you best use them with an air impact driver for best results.

http://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/Hal...400-696823.jpg

thats what they look like
Robyjuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

I may be wrong but I think he means the threads are stripped off inside the lug itself and its just spinning, happens when they get get over tightened and the lug doesn't snap off
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Use a pneumatic cut-off wheel. I have done it many times and no problems. Just split it right down the middle and use a chisel and hammer to finish the job. Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.