Can i get smaller tires on lifted wrangler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Can i get smaller tires on lifted wrangler?

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Mhoffman
2004 JK Wrangler 

Can i get smaller tires on lifted wrangler?

I bought a2004 wrangler sport. It was lifted and had 33" tires. I don't do much off road. I have 2 jobs and put a lot of street mileage. I went down to 31", but it's time for new ones. I can't afford 8-900 dollars on tires right now. I have an original 30x9.5rlt that's in good shape. From what i've read it sounds like my lift is 3.5-4". I know it'll probably look funny with the smaller tires, but looks aren't my first priority at the moment. Will it drive alright and will it work is my question. Any other tires that would run 100 or less that would work ok?

Thnx

Mhoffman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
ItsJustD
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Won't matter, if you don't mind looking funny. You can always look into Treadwright, I've never tried them myself but I heard good of them. Maybe someone who knows more about them can chime in.

Edit: Forgot the link. https://www.treadwright.com/
ItsJustD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
98_XJ_Langer
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It will probably look really stupid and have crazy big wheel gap, but you can do it. Just make sure your jeep still has factory gearing in the axles. If it doesn`t you`re going to be turning a lot of RPM on the highway and your mpg will suffer.
98_XJ_Langer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Mhoffman
2004 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_XJ_Langer View Post
It will probably look really stupid and have crazy big wheel gap, but you can do it. Just make sure your jeep still has factory gearing in the axles. If it doesn`t you`re going to be turning a lot of RPM on the highway and your mpg will suffer.
Yeah, I already know that it won't look good. Actually, I already have a pretty big gap after going down to the 31" tires, but it doesn't look as stupid as all the guys kept telling me it would. This is the problem with having to ask guys at the mechanic shop anything! I'd be happy to let any of you go ahead and chip in the extra money, so my jeep doesn't look stupid. However, all I needed to know is if it will still be functional and still ride well. Our society is so hung up on looks... over it! Thanks for the help.
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Mhoffman
2004 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJustD View Post
Won't matter, if you don't mind looking funny. You can always look into Treadwright, I've never tried them myself but I heard good of them. Maybe someone who knows more about them can chime in.

Edit: Forgot the link. https://www.treadwright.com/
Thanks for the respons. I appreciate the help. Looking funny is ok.
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A 31" tire is all of about a half an inch shorter than a 30" at the top, so I am not sure what people are talking about here. I doubt most guys could tell the difference at 10 yards away.
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've run treadwrights for the last 8 years maybe more in 31's and 33's with no flats, blow outs or any issues. My next set will be 35's.
You could get a set of 31's or 30.9's and run them when you go to work and if you decide to do any off roading swap the tires back to the 33's. Stock rims are easy to find real cheap and the treadwrights are pretty inexpensive as well or scour craigslist and find a decent set of street tires in the 235/75/15 off an explorer, ranger, cherokee or stock Jeep and call it a day.
idiot magnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Shop Craigslist, Ebay, and this forum's classified section wheels and tires, and any other 4x4 forum classified section.

You can often find 30 and 31 inch tires for sale cheap with anywhere from 80% to 100% tread on them. I've seen BFG AT with 1000 miles on them for sale half price.

Also, most tire stores have cheap tires if you don't care about brand. Sometimes they have used tires very cheap.
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Smaller tires will run fine. Only concern is as said earlier, if the previous owner geared down for larger tires. My guess is that you still have stock gears and you are ok. Don't worry about how it may look for now. The general population can only WISH they owned a jeep of any kind!
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.