Buying used tires - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-14-2012, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
richnev
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 919
Buying used tires

I am going to start looking for some used tires for the Jeep. What should I know to look for to make sure I am not buying a set of tires that will fall apart in a week


05 Jeep Wrangler X .... RIP
07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X ...... let the build begin

ARMY TEAM MEMBER #4


Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by her94yj View Post
lets put it a way a kids will relate......its like a hooker.......... SURE a 15 dollar handy from a detroit toothless 60 year old can get it done....... but NO where is it as nice as the $5000 an hour goddess from vegas or hollywood

....... dont be that fat guy on the beach in the speedo you dont want to be "that guy"
richnev is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 09-16-2012, 11:57 AM
VietVet67
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Enterprise
Posts: 916
Buy new and save yourself some Hassels BFG's last a long time--

Silver Jeep club member #76 Semper -Fi my brothers
VietVet67 is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 09-16-2012, 12:00 PM
2005X
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 8,276
i have bought many sets of tires used. look at the date on the tire, check of patches and plugs. ask lots of questions like milage and ever been wheeling.
2005X is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 04-11-2014, 11:38 PM
Dumpsterfish
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,015
Thread resurrection! Where on the tire is the date printed?

'01 TJ...stock
'89 YJ...SOLD
'95 YJ...SOLD
'13 JKUS...SOLD
Dumpsterfish is online now  
post #5 of 16 Old 04-12-2014, 06:48 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denton County, TX
Posts: 7,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpsterfish View Post
Thread resurrection! Where on the tire is the date printed?
Here is a good link showing date code and how to read it. It show the year and week.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

jhanna
denton county, tx
2jhanna is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 04-12-2014, 07:12 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denton County, TX
Posts: 7,319
I currently have a used set on my TJ, love them and love the deal I got.

Couple things to know, with used tires, like most used things, you get no warranty/dealer support. Also, unless you have access to the equipment or know somebody who does, dismounting/mounting/balancing/new stems, is going to run $50-75, and again you may not get "lifetime rotate/balance/flat repair/etc.

But, depending on the deal you get, used tires can be very worth while. Especially nowadays with so many "new take offs" on CraigsList. The deal I got was a set of approx 80% life left, 31s for my TJ for $100. I spent about $60 for new stems, mount, balance from a local shop. I then listed my old set of 25% life left, 30s and sold them for $100 in less than a week.

So for $60 and some gas and time getting the deals done, I got a really nice set of tires. My TJ is our 4th vehicle and I only put approx 5k miles per year and really did not want to spend $700+ on a set of new tires.

jhanna
denton county, tx
2jhanna is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 04-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Mambo_Dave
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: south
Posts: 699
Every one of the used tire places that I checked had tires that should not cost more than $10 a tire for. All wanted to charge me $40 to $60 per used tire for junk, and hope to get away with it.

What I look for is cracks between the treads. All the ones I looked at looked OK with a brief look inside the store. The truth came out in taking them outside in the sun to take a good look at them.

If you're going for really small stock sizes then you may find something. If you're going for a little larger than your Jeep came with - no-one takes those tires off of their trucks or Jeeps without good reason(s).
Mambo_Dave is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 04-15-2014, 01:49 PM
biffgnar
Moderator
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 19,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
If you're going for a little larger than your Jeep came with - no-one takes those tires off of their trucks or Jeeps without good reason(s).
You say "good reason" like it is a bad thing. I've sold 33s with 30-40% tread left and 35s with 75% tread left. I had a good reason for me to do it, but didn't mean anything was wrong with the tires for the person who bought them.

#feelthejohnson
biffgnar is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 04-15-2014, 03:40 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denton County, TX
Posts: 7,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
. If you're going for a little larger than your Jeep came with - no-one takes those tires off of their trucks or Jeeps without good reason(s).
I have found that many people have more money, than brains. Or they "want" something more than they "need" it.

As a result, that means good deals for the rest of us. With time, decent sets at most sizes appear on our CraigsList.

What size are you looking for?

jhanna
denton county, tx
2jhanna is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 04-16-2014, 01:33 AM
Dumpsterfish
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,015
35x1250x17 would be ideal...

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

'01 TJ...stock
'89 YJ...SOLD
'95 YJ...SOLD
'13 JKUS...SOLD
Dumpsterfish is online now  
post #11 of 16 Old 04-16-2014, 04:06 AM
CJ7nvrstk
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Prosper
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
no-one takes those tires off of their trucks or Jeeps without good reason(s).
When I put my first V8 in my CJ I also put a brand new set of 33x12.50-15 Pro Comp Xterrains on her. I replaced them in a month. Not because there was anything wrong with them at all. I just realized I should have gone with 35s, so that's what I did.

Just because someone is getting rid of tires with life in them doesn't mean there is something wrong with them.

Just sayin'


RED Friday. Remember Everyone Deployed
45 MB, 67 Commando, 85 CJ, 08 JKU, 11 JKU
CJ7nvrstk is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 04-16-2014, 06:14 AM
Mambo_Dave
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: south
Posts: 699
OK, I guess it has more to do with my area then.

Aren't many 4-wheeling people around here, and few places to wheel, so rigs just get built and keep their tires until they're bad or bald.

Like I wrote, I found nothing worth paying for in all the used tire places I traveled to. I guess that changes with locale.
Mambo_Dave is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 04-16-2014, 06:28 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denton County, TX
Posts: 7,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpsterfish View Post
35x1250x17 would be ideal...

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
OK, I guess it has more to do with my area then.

Aren't many 4-wheeling people around here, and few places to wheel, so rigs just get built and keep their tires until they're bad or bald.

Like I wrote, I found nothing worth paying for in all the used tire places I traveled to. I guess that changes with locale.
Here is a set in your area. What is your budget?

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/pts/4399300303.html

Edit, sorry, just saw you guys are on different coast.

jhanna
denton county, tx
2jhanna is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 04-16-2014, 03:19 PM
Mambo_Dave
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: south
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
Here is a set in your area. What is your budget?

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/pts/4399300303.html

Edit, sorry, just saw you guys are on different coast.
That's OK.

But rememebr, just because they have tread on them doesn't mean they are dry rotted - dry rot cracks happen in just a couple of years here in Florida. If those tires weren't new like last year, then I wouldn't even pay that much for them. Florida pavement is hot and destroys tires even if they have nearly new tread.
Mambo_Dave is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 04-17-2014, 02:40 PM
CJ7nvrstk
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Prosper
Posts: 1,225
Just had a guy try to unload a set of 13 year old tires on me.

Be careful.

RED Friday. Remember Everyone Deployed
45 MB, 67 Commando, 85 CJ, 08 JKU, 11 JKU
CJ7nvrstk is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome